So am I the only who's speakerphone STILL sucks?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
My speakerphone volume (calls, music, alarms, etc) has been awful for both of the Nexus S phones I've had. They are extremely too quiet, and I thought this update was suppose to include a fix for this. So far, my sound is still too quiet, but others are reporting louder volume.....

I don't want to root to "fix" this, and I'm really starting to get annoyed with Google. I thought having a Nexus would solve many of the problem I faced with the Epic (especially slow updates). It just appears to me that Google is only focusing on the next Nexus device and leaving this one by the wayside already (maybe due to low sales...?).

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Are we talking ringtones, music app, alarms.....?

I might just go into Sprint and make sure there is nothing wrong with my phone.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Im still on the old version and call speakerphone turned all the way up starts to distort and feedback. Earpiece volume always has to be backed off unless im in the loudest of environments. Music alarms notifications can all be heard across the house and even upstairs if i have it turned all the way up.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
see i think i've noticed less distortion and stuff, and maybe that's what the changelog actually said it would fix?

i could have sworn it said speaker volume though, and some have been reporting higher volumes so idk....

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I used my Dremel™ tool to fix the problem. With a much larger hole for the sound to come through the case I have a lot more volume. Be careful to not cut the taped on dust screen if you can. Use a depth guide if you have one to prevent that problem. I've been happy with my N1 ever since.

Pancake345

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I wrote an app called Speakerphone Control that will fix some of your problems without the need for root. Speakerphone Control gives you a separate volume control for the speakerphone and reverts back to the regular in-call volume when the call has ended. Hope that helps!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the speakerphone but I have a real issue with my ringer, notification and alarm clock volume. I constantly miss calls and there is no way the alarm clock will wake me. I have to plug my phone into a set of powered computer speakers every night so I can wake up in the morning.

Never had any problem with my epic other than Odin. I will never again buy a phone that requires Odin to root. Lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the speakerphone but I have a real issue with my ringer, notification and alarm clock volume. I constantly miss calls and there is no way the alarm clock will wake me. I have to plug my phone into a set of powered computer speakers every night so I can wake up in the morning.

Never had any problem with my epic other than Odin. I will never again buy a phone that requires Odin to root. Lol

Not sure if the ROMs your running have it but on ICS there is a alarm tone called Rooster... Its a chicken rooster screaming away.... Wakes me every time or at least annoys the heck out of me...

Alarm_Rooster (Flash in CWM, no wipe required)

Reactions: Skunkape60

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Hey skunker, there's a cheap app in the Android Market that fixes us NS4G owners problems with low volume. Search "Volume+" in the Market & buy. It TOTALLY solves the issue of low volume on this phone. You can now crank the volume up to the point of blowing the tiny speaker so be careful with your settings.

It does nothing to fix the issue of feedback while on speakerphone though (not software related).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using TapaTalk. Kay pof shinum wif a bardle doo.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey skunker, there's a cheap app in the Android Market that fixes us NS4G owners problems with low volume. Search "Volume+" in the Market & buy. It TOTALLY solves the issue of low volume on this phone. You can now crank the volume up to the point of blowing the tiny speaker so be careful with your settings.

It does nothing to fix the issue of feedback while on speakerphone though (not software related).

perhaps you can let me know what settings you are using. I maxed out every setting and if anything it's quieter than before loading volume+...

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Speaker Modifications: Checked

Virtual Room Effect: Disabled

EQ Settings: Good Quality

Volume Level: + 11

Bass Enhance: 0

Speaker Modifications: Disabled

Reactions: Skunkape60