Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery suddenly dying extremely quickly!

Up until about three days ago, my nexus s 4g has been getting about 28 hours per charge with moderate use. However, recently I have suddenly been getting only about 6-7 hours, which is driving me crazy. I have been monitoring my running apps and services via the manage apps screen and nothing new seems to be running and I am only using 120 mb of ram. When I check the battery use menu, it says that display, cell standby and google services are the top three things using the battery. I do not use live backgrounds or turn on 4g. I have been trying to use my phone as little as possible to try to maximize my battery, but it still dies ridiculously quickly. Is there any way I can get my battery life back to where it was before without doing a factory reset? I don't want to lose my app data or root my phone.

Default Re: Battery suddenly dying extremely quickly!

To test if it's the battery or the apps, fully charge the phone and then restart it into safe mode and see how long it runs.

I *think* you enter safe mode by holding your finger on the "menu" capacitive button while restarting but I've also read it's done by pressing volume halfway through boot, so try them both. You'll know if you have safe mode because the loer left of the screen will say it.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peter's Bugless Beast ICS

Have you downloaded any new apps lately? What have you done to your phone in the last three days.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by nickmasta View Post
    Up until about three days ago, my nexus s 4g has been getting about 28 hours per charge with moderate use...
    Holly s...! 28 hours on moderate use, how did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidOne View Post
    Holly s...! 28 hours on moderate use, how did you do it?
    Hmm, that sounds about right with light to moderate use.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    To test if it's the battery or the apps, fully charge the phone and then restart it into safe mode and see how long it runs.

I *think* you enter safe mode by holding your finger on the "menu" capacitive button while restarting but I've also read it's done by pressing volume halfway through boot, so try them both. You'll know if you have safe mode because the loer left of the screen will say it.
    I fully charged my phone and started it into safe mode and I'm at 50 percent battery after 5 hours. Does this mean that there is something wrong with the hardware and this is not a software issue?

Quote Originally Posted by nickmasta View Post
    I fully charged my phone and started it into safe mode and I'm at 50 percent battery after 5 hours. Does this mean that there is something wrong with the hardware and this is not a software issue?
    i notice this issue too sometimes. I have a battery widget that tells me the temperature of the battery (usually i can feel it too), once it hits 107 degrees i put it down afraid the battery will melt on me. I think if you charge it over night the battery sort of calibrate itself and you should be better of in the morning.

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

Quote Originally Posted by robbv1122 View Post
    i notice this issue too sometimes. I have a battery widget that tells me the temperature of the battery (usually i can feel it too), once it hits 107 degrees i put it down afraid the battery will melt on me. I think if you charge it over night the battery sort of calibrate itself and you should be better of in the morning.
    Search battery calibrations in the Epic forum (old Epid user), it will work the same and might help.

Another way to help if you are rooted, go into clockwork. There is an erase battery stats in the menu. Do that, then fully charge the phone, unplug, bump charge (replug in), until fully charged.

You could've done something flashing roms that spazzed out the battery, these instructions are kind of like resetting the calculations used to measure battery life.

I charged my new Nexus S last night into this morning and almost 12 hours later, I do not have a full battery charge...This preturbs me slightly - it's not that it's far off from being totally charged, but still, it's only at 94% almost 12 hours later. My EVO charged within about 3 hours to a full charge.

Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

94 % is considered full for these. there's nothing wrong with your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    94 % is considered full for these. there's nothing wrong with your phone.
    Ok, that's going to be odd to me and take some getting used to - but glad to know I'm not crazy! Why the offset from 100%? anyone know? just curious.

what's the battery life for moderate to heavy use?

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

It's so the battery doesn't overcharge, which helps with the battery lasting longer, lifetime wise.

Moderate use is 4 to 40 hours, depending on if you know what you're doing or not.