Uh oh, crack on screen

ShadowKing

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
well hello everyone, this morning i woke up to a nice big scratch / crack on my screen. is their anything i can do to fill it, or am i SOL? i do have sprint's insurance on my phone. is their anyway to get it replaced?

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
well hello everyone, this morning i woke up to a nice big scratch / crack on my screen. is their anything i can do to fill it, or am i SOL? i do have sprint's insurance on my phone. is their anyway to get it replaced?
Yes, there is. You have 2 options and I just went thru this. I fell on bike with phone in pocket, shattered screen but could still use (screen protector held it together).

I had dropped insurance because Sprint wouldn't cover anything after I unlocked it.

1) TEP with $100 deductible

2) Find, call and check all service centers in your area. I have an old Nextel, now 3rd party Sprint
Sales/Service Center that repairs any phone. It cost me $35, had to wait a week till they could get screen, and they even put another screen protector on it.

They told me Sprint doesn't want the centers repairing, but these guys like to "take things apart" so
when they get a broken phone in, they just take it apart and salvage parts to fix other phones.

Yes, I was lucky, just keep trying.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is. You have 2 options and I just went thru this. I fell on bike with phone in pocket, shattered screen but could still use (screen protector held it together).

I had dropped insurance because Sprint wouldn't cover anything after I unlocked it.

1) TEP with $100 deductible

2) Find, call and check all service centers in your area. I have an old Nextel, now 3rd party Sprint
Sales/Service Center that repairs any phone. It cost me $35, had to wait a week till they could get screen, and they even put another screen protector on it.

They told me Sprint doesn't want the centers repairing, but these guys like to "take things apart" so
when they get a broken phone in, they just take it apart and salvage parts to fix other phones.

Yes, I was lucky, just keep trying.

just for reference, sprints policy on rooted/unlocked phones is they dont care lol. If you have issues with phone first step will be to take it back to stock and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt then your stock and they swap you. If you file insurance claim they dont care what your running b/c the insurance has nothing to do with sprint. just throwing that out there for people.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
just for reference, sprints policy on rooted/unlocked phones is they dont care lol. If you have issues with phone first step will be to take it back to stock and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt then your stock and they swap you. If you file insurance claim they dont care what your running b/c the insurance has nothing to do with sprint. just throwing that out there for people.

Wasn't quite sure were people were saying they didn't have insurance since they unlocked... flash the old stuff back.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't quite sure were people were saying they didn't have insurance since they unlocked... flash the old stuff back.
My problem was Sprint did care. I had used a GSM download which erased my entire OS. There was nothing on there except my little unlocked lock. This was Day 2, so went to store to reload. All that was on the forums at that time was TMobile things which didn't work and I didn't realize there was a difference.
They wouldn't touch it, Assurion said if it had been altered, they would charge me phone price when they received. Everyone kept saying "hack" I kept saying unlocked, but no one cared.

So I read, found SimpleDL, put everything back, and started over.

So I will say stores do care, it can void (they put this on my account notes), so I dropped and am now very careful what I copy and use, but they wouldn't touch mine.

But stores and employees are all different. We all know there are good ones out there as well as the bad. I just found this other store, 30 minute drive, but they are good.

Yoshiaka13

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem with a sprint store like that is the store itself. I had similar problems with my WebOS device when I had home brew running on it. Figure out if your walking into a corporate sprint store or a satellite/franchise store.

If you go to a corporate store they really don't care if you unlocked it. A satellite store will NOT take an unlocked phone. Satellite does are not run by sprint corporate but rather a private owner and the majority of those owners want nothing to do with an unlocked phone. I know a few people that work at satellite stores and they informed me of this. Brought my tweaked out palm pre in and he took one look at my themed out pre handed it back to me and said he can't touch it that I hacked it. Then went to a corporate sprint store they not only looked at it but replaced it cause out had a broken power button.

And as for assurance their douche bags. But they did replace one of my palm pres when I fell on it and broke it. That one was also tweaked out with patches and special themes non stock. I just didn't tell them.

Corporate and satellite/franchise sprint stores operate under different guide lines. heres a couple signs the store your walking into is a satellite store. 1. It used to be some mom and pop cell phone store and one day it became a sprint store. 2.they don't have automatic payment machines in the store (also when you do make a payment there if it takes a day to post on your bill instead of within the hour you might be dealing with a satellite/franchise store) 3. If they do major hardware repairs on your phone as corporate stores will not do that..they order a replacement instead. Most repair centers for sprint are actually a satellite/franchise store. Corporate stores are not authorized to do major hardware repairs. 4. And lastly.. If your sprint store of choice is a kiosk in a mall you might be dealing with a satellite store.. Don't get me wrong on that but corporate does put up kiosks also. But if you just ask any store you suspect of being a satellite store ask them.. "is this a corporate sprint store our a satellite store" they will tell you.

I've been with sprint 11 years and the majority of the time corporate stores will work with you more worth messed up smart phones.. Just be nice and they will help. Come in there flying off the handle they will not help... Just like anything I'm life..

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If it's just a scratch, try buffing it out with some plain white toothpaste.

You can sit and do that while you're reading through all these responses about Sprint's stance on rooted devices.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If it's just a scratch, try buffing it out with some plain white toothpaste.

You can sit and do that while you're reading through all these responses about Sprint's stance on rooted devices.

I don't know why people debate on what Sprint has to say about rooted devices. Bring it back unrooted/stock. I didn't trade in my Epic for credit with Roam Control and WiFi Tether on it with an overclock kernel.... and they had nooo idea....

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why people debate on what Sprint has to say about rooted devices. Bring it back unrooted/stock. I didn't trade in my Epic for credit with Roam Control and WiFi Tether on it with an overclock kernel.... and they had nooo idea....
No clue. But the more I'm here the more I believe that 99.9% of people have absolutely no business rooting their phones.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No clue. But the more I'm here the more I believe that 99.9% of people have absolutely no business rooting their phones.

I would have to concur.

And maybe I just can't read; but, I don't think that's the case; so: I don't think that most root articles/write ups are very clear. Maybe I'm reading the wrong ones; but, if I find them difficult (And I rooted an Epic 52 times): then I don't think it's helping most people. By difficult I mean I have to go: Wait, what? And read it again and piece things together. I guess that's just because there is an assumption you know what your doing and will figure it out.

Seemed to me the Epic had a better write up for rooting/flashing to stock then the Nexus has. Epic was detailed. Pictures included. The ones I read for the nexus were vague and "empty".

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd personally attribute that to people wanting to be the first to market, so to speak, with their creations. And like you said too, the assumption that one knows what they're doing beforehand.

It still goes back to rooting being a buzz word. People hear people talking about it so they have to do it. But I see it all the time here, they say they want to do it or have done it and then don't even know why. I mean, you really don't need Titanium Backup or the like if you stay stock. Tethering is about the only compelling reason I can see for the majority of people to jump into rooting.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OP, first try and GET Sprint to help you. If they won't, then you can have the insurance exchange it by paying the deductible. If not, then find a cheap donor on craigslists or ebay and fix it yourself. There may be how to videos on youtube to assist you.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd personally attribute that to people wanting to be the first to market, so to speak, with their creations. And like you said too, the assumption that one knows what they're doing beforehand.

In addition to that, I also feel that the ROM developers are so immersed on their own lingo that they fail to realize is not common English for the rest of us. I know, in my line of business this happens very often - I am so use to the technical vocabulary that I often do it myself.

It still goes back to rooting being a buzz word. People hear people talking about it so they have to do it. But I see it all the time here, they say they want to do it or have done it and then don't even know why. I mean, you really don't need Titanium Backup or the like if you stay stock. Tethering is about the only compelling reason I can see for the majority of people to jump into rooting.

Which goes to your original comment which I agree with completely: "...99.9% of people have absolutely no business rooting their phones."

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Lingo is another great one.

"Hey man, it's easy, just boot into cwm and then flash GRJ90 and KE5. This is all of course assuming youre on a crespo. I mean, really, it couldn't be easier!"

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Lingo is another great one.

"Hey man, it's easy, just boot into cwm and then flash GRJ90 and KE5. This is all of course assuming youre on a crespo. I mean, really, it couldn't be easier!"

lol. I only know half of what you just said and I've rooted before, AHAHAHA.

No, seriously what....

I know ADB. download and run script. Phone rooted. CWM flash zip. Whoops.. messed up. Download MD5 and pit. ODIN!

It's like Jive.

HighLife#AC

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Agree with the fact most people have no business rooting their phone. If you really want to learn how to exploit android it can be very hard when doing it by reading forums. Most forum posters are just re-posting info they have read previously but have no idea if it is accurate or not. In my own experience, I found the best way is to find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to teach you. A member of another forum I post on has taught me everything. I would have been so lost without him.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The problem with a sprint store like that is the store itself. I had similar problems with my WebOS device when I had home brew running on it. Figure out if your walking into a corporate sprint store or a satellite/franchise store.

If you go to a corporate store they really don't care if you unlocked it. A satellite store will NOT take an unlocked phone. Satellite does are not run by sprint corporate but rather a private owner and the majority of those owners want nothing to do with an unlocked phone. I know a few people that work at satellite stores and they informed me of this. Brought my tweaked out palm pre in and he took one look at my themed out pre handed it back to me and said he can't touch it that I hacked it. Then went to a corporate sprint store they not only looked at it but replaced it cause out had a broken power button.

And as for assurance their douche bags. But they did replace one of my palm pres when I fell on it and broke it. That one was also tweaked out with patches and special themes non stock. I just didn't tell them.

Corporate and satellite/franchise sprint stores operate under different guide lines. heres a couple signs the store your walking into is a satellite store. 1. It used to be some mom and pop cell phone store and one day it became a sprint store. 2.they don't have automatic payment machines in the store (also when you do make a payment there if it takes a day to post on your bill instead of within the hour you might be dealing with a satellite/franchise store) 3. If they do major hardware repairs on your phone as corporate stores will not do that..they order a replacement instead. Most repair centers for sprint are actually a satellite/franchise store. Corporate stores are not authorized to do major hardware repairs. 4. And lastly.. If your sprint store of choice is a kiosk in a mall you might be dealing with a satellite store.. Don't get me wrong on that but corporate does put up kiosks also. But if you just ask any store you suspect of being a satellite store ask them.. "is this a corporate sprint store our a satellite store" they will tell you.

I've been with sprint 11 years and the majority of the time corporate stores will work with you more worth messed up smart phones.. Just be nice and they will help. Come in there flying off the handle they will not help... Just like anything I'm life..

Also 3rd party stores use dummy phones instead of live working phones that corporate stores use...

surferboy

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Dropped my Nexus today and cracked the screen! So much for Ghost Armour being much help. I've called around a few cell phone repair places here in San Diego and so far not one repairs the Nexus S. I don't have insurance on the phone with Sprint and I have the phone rooted so I would love to just get the screen fixed. Any suggestions? Who are these 3rd party service centers the other poster mentioned? Thanks for any help!

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Sprint should only charge you $35 to fix your phone if you broke it and have no insurance. At least that's what they told me after I replaced my first Nexus S from an LCD defect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay