NxS4g or switch to Photon

sapp51

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm still within the 30 day trade in for my Nexus S 4G. Trying to make up my mind which to stick with it or switch to a Photon.

Any advice ???

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I will stick with the NS4G. Pure google, dont have to wait for Motorola or Sprint to deliver next OS updates, dont have to worry about extra bloatware. Not to knock the Photon, it does look like a really nice phone. But i wouild rather stay with my NS4G.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im past my 30 days but I'm not sure. That photon looks like a great phone.

It would definitely be a hard decision.

I do love my nexus though

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Im past my 30 days but I'm not sure. That photon looks like a great phone.

It would definitely be a hard decision.

I do love my nexus though

Good luck if you are past 30 days... I was at 31 days and I had a hell of a time getting my Xprt swapped out. Local store still never did anything for me, sprint customer service took care of me though!

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good luck if you are past 30 days... I was at 31 days and I had a hell of a time getting my Xprt swapped out. Local store still never did anything for me, sprint customer service took care of me though!

I know I can't. Just sayin

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It's all personal preference. For me, I would rather have vanilla android and google support/updates vs. having a dual core processor.

I would rather have a phone that actually gets 4G service and doesn't drop calls and data sessions. I was holding out hope that the 2.3.5 update would solve things for the Nexus, but it hasn't and it seems like this model is just a lemon hardware-wise. I'm well past my 30 days, but have numerous tickets logged with tech support, am on my 3rd Nexus, and have TEP so I'm hoping that they might be a little lenient in letting me swap. I had no interest in swapping to that cheesy 3D/Sense thing (Evo), and there was no way in hell I was going to try another Samsung product (Epic), so the Photon is the first alternative I'm actually considering. The fact that I paid the full $199 price for the Nexus less than two months ago should give me a little more bargaining power.

An unlocked bootloader, root, and a "Pure Google experience" don't mean squat when you don't have reliable data and phone connectivity.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I would rather have a phone that actually gets 4G service and doesn't drop calls and data sessions. I was holding out hope that the 2.3.5 update would solve things for the Nexus, but it hasn't and it seems like this model is just a lemon hardware-wise. I'm well past my 30 days, but have numerous tickets logged with tech support, am on my 3rd Nexus, and have TEP so I'm hoping that they might be a little lenient in letting me swap. I had no interest in swapping to that cheesy 3D/Sense thing (Evo), and there was no way in hell I was going to try another Samsung product (Epic), so the Photon is the first alternative I'm actually considering. The fact that I paid the full $199 price for the Nexus less than two months ago should give me a little more bargaining power.

An unlocked bootloader, root, and a "Pure Google experience" don't mean squat when you don't have reliable data and phone connectivity.

Sounds like you have a broken phone,for live in a bad service area. I have had no signal problems at all with my Nexus

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Did you get the OTA yet? Because I would have told you there is nothing wrong with 3g; and, did: but, now: I see that there was weak signal as my 3g was actually improved. In low signal areas where service was almost nonexistent I can now slowly load a web page and send SMS. Before I could not. I thought it was just the area because the area has TERRIBLE service. It's still bad but it's usable.

Other than that in good areas I've never had a problem. So if you have the OTA and it didn't do anything for you - you might want to get it checked out.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Vanilla Android all the way. No theme crap, loaded with bloatware. No waiting on OS Updates while the carrier tests them. Not to mention the worry of weather or not your carrier deems your phone still "in". Google still supports the Nexus One, even thoe its mostly EOL (right?). So thats a plus in my books.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Vanilla Android all the way. No theme crap, loaded with bloatware. No waiting on OS Updates while the carrier tests them. Not to mention the worry of weather or not your carrier deems your phone still "in". Google still supports the Nexus One, even thoe its mostly EOL (right?). So thats a plus in my books.

As long as a device is supported until the next "next" Nexus out. I'm good with that. Because then you can get the phone at discounted price; or, wait a few months and notice that the Nexus S went from 199, 149, 99, and Free in 2 months, lol.

So as long as the Nexus S 4g lasts until the end of 2012. I'm good. Unless Verizon gets an LTE Nexus. Then I'm not waiting. ;)

If another phone comes with GB. And is guaranteed to get ICS it should get "J" to be acceptable. In a timely fashion.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Locked bootloader is a deal breaker....So sorry you've had these problems with your Nex...Sounds very strange that out of the 5 devices you and your girlfriend have had not one worked out....very strange....I paid the same price as you for mine...drove me crazy with the fluctuation in signal bars, however, I never dropped a call and have had some slow experiences on 3g...

Now after rooting and with the new update...I have reached speeds up to 1mb down on 3g and a lil over a half mb for upload....

the highest Ive tested so far on wifi was 12 down and 7 up on vz fios and on cox 9 down and 5 up...

So glad not working today....I suppose a load of folks will be on that wagon to jump to the latest newest device....just to have it even though there is nothing absolutely wrong with the device they posses

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Locked bootloader is a deal breaker....So sorry you've had these problems with your Nex...Sounds very strange that out of the 5 devices you and your girlfriend have had not one worked out....very strange....I paid the same price as you for mine...drove me crazy with the fluctuation in signal bars, however, I never dropped a call and have had some slow experiences on 3g...

Now after rooting and with the new update...I have reached speeds up to 1mb down on 3g and a lil over a half mb for upload....

the highest Ive tested so far on wifi was 12 down and 7 up on vz fios and on cox 9 down and 5 up...

So glad not working today....I suppose a load of folks will be on that wagon to jump to the latest newest device....just to have it even though there is nothing absolutely wrong with the device they posses

I gotta stop my jumping. Which I will. Unless Verizon were to get LTE Nexus. Then I'll stop. Cause I have LTE here and no Wimax. It's frustrating. lol.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely still an issue with this phone and certain cell towers! I've had Sprint a long time now and I have 3 smart phones on my plan. My nexus and 4 others I know with nexuses all have slow data in some areas where other sprint smart phones are downloading much faster. At my house I'm about 300 yards from a sprint tower and have full signal yet downloads on the nexus are painfully slow. (30 to 100k) . That's on my phone and everyone I know who has a nexus s 4g. My wife's palm pre smokes the nexus at home. But if I go to work 30 miles away my nexus gets only 1 or 2 bars yet download speeds are 10x faster. I really dont understand it. I was in Dayton Ohio last week and had only 2 bars but was getting download speeds over 1m. Dont make since. My neighbor has a evo 4g and at are house his phone will blow the nexus away but if you leave are area the nexus is almost as fast. I talked to sprint and they say they dont know why this is. I have experienced this in several areas. Comparing my wife's pre to my nexus and my daughters blackberry.

ReDDrDz

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely still an issue with this phone and certain cell towers! I've had Sprint a long time now and I have 3 smart phones on my plan. My nexus and 4 others I know with nexuses all have slow data in some areas where other sprint smart phones are downloading much faster. At my house I'm about 300 yards from a sprint tower and have full signal yet downloads on the nexus are painfully slow. (30 to 100k) . That's on my phone and everyone I know who has a nexus s 4g. My wife's palm pre smokes the nexus at home. But if I go to work 30 miles away my nexus gets only 1 or 2 bars yet download speeds are 10x faster. I really dont understand it. I was in Dayton Ohio last week and had only 2 bars but was getting download speeds over 1m. Dont make since. My neighbor has a evo 4g and at are house his phone will blow the nexus away but if you leave are area the nexus is almost as fast. I talked to sprint and they say they dont know why this is. I have experienced this in several areas. Comparing my wife's pre to my nexus and my daughters blackberry.

are you on 2.3.5 yet or rooted?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance