Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NxS4g or switch to Photon

I'm still within the 30 day trade in for my Nexus S 4G. Trying to make up my mind which to stick with it or switch to a Photon.

Any advice ???

Default Re: NxS4g or switch to Photon

I will stick with the NS4G. Pure google, dont have to wait for Motorola or Sprint to deliver next OS updates, dont have to worry about extra bloatware. Not to knock the Photon, it does look like a really nice phone. But i wouild rather stay with my NS4G.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    932 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Ns4g all the way. Locked bootloaders are for squares.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Im past my 30 days but I'm not sure. That photon looks like a great phone.

It would definitely be a hard decision.

I do love my nexus though

Quote Originally Posted by subnaiyo View Post
    Im past my 30 days but I'm not sure. That photon looks like a great phone.

It would definitely be a hard decision.

I do love my nexus though

Good luck if you are past 30 days... I was at 31 days and I had a hell of a time getting my Xprt swapped out. Local store still never did anything for me, sprint customer service took care of me though!

ROM
    CyanogenMod7 / Netarchy

It's all personal preference. For me, I would rather have vanilla android and google support/updates vs. having a dual core processor.
    Won't you be my friend? Scan the QR Code in my avatar to find and addme on Google+. Everyone is welcome!!

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    Good luck if you are past 30 days... I was at 31 days and I had a hell of a time getting my Xprt swapped out. Local store still never did anything for me, sprint customer service took care of me though!
    I know I can't. Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by sapp51 View Post
    I'm still within the 30 day trade in for my Nexus S 4G. Trying to make up my mind which to stick with it or switch to a Photon.

Any advice ???
    Are you having issues with your Nexus or do you just want a new phone?

Quote Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
    It's all personal preference. For me, I would rather have vanilla android and google support/updates vs. having a dual core processor.
    I would rather have a phone that actually gets 4G service and doesn't drop calls and data sessions. I was holding out hope that the 2.3.5 update would solve things for the Nexus, but it hasn't and it seems like this model is just a lemon hardware-wise. I'm well past my 30 days, but have numerous tickets logged with tech support, am on my 3rd Nexus, and have TEP so I'm hoping that they might be a little lenient in letting me swap. I had no interest in swapping to that cheesy 3D/Sense thing (Evo), and there was no way in hell I was going to try another Samsung product (Epic), so the Photon is the first alternative I'm actually considering. The fact that I paid the full $199 price for the Nexus less than two months ago should give me a little more bargaining power.

An unlocked bootloader, root, and a "Pure Google experience" don't mean squat when you don't have reliable data and phone connectivity.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by chrismc View Post
    I would rather have a phone that actually gets 4G service and doesn't drop calls and data sessions. I was holding out hope that the 2.3.5 update would solve things for the Nexus, but it hasn't and it seems like this model is just a lemon hardware-wise. I'm well past my 30 days, but have numerous tickets logged with tech support, am on my 3rd Nexus, and have TEP so I'm hoping that they might be a little lenient in letting me swap. I had no interest in swapping to that cheesy 3D/Sense thing (Evo), and there was no way in hell I was going to try another Samsung product (Epic), so the Photon is the first alternative I'm actually considering. The fact that I paid the full $199 price for the Nexus less than two months ago should give me a little more bargaining power.

An unlocked bootloader, root, and a "Pure Google experience" don't mean squat when you don't have reliable data and phone connectivity.
    Sounds like you have a broken phone,for live in a bad service area. I have had no signal problems at all with my Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Sounds like you have a broken phone,for live in a bad service area. I have had no signal problems at all with my Nexus
    Three broken phones (plus two for my girlfriend) and a bad service area all around a decent size city and suburbs (St Louis)?
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Did you get the OTA yet? Because I would have told you there is nothing wrong with 3g; and, did: but, now: I see that there was weak signal as my 3g was actually improved. In low signal areas where service was almost nonexistent I can now slowly load a web page and send SMS. Before I could not. I thought it was just the area because the area has TERRIBLE service. It's still bad but it's usable.

Other than that in good areas I've never had a problem. So if you have the OTA and it didn't do anything for you - you might want to get it checked out.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Three broken phones (plus two for my girlfriend) and a bad service area all around a decent size city and suburbs (St Louis)?
    Bad luck? Idk, I've been in NY, southern California, and Illinois with no problems whatsoever

Vanilla Android all the way. No theme crap, loaded with bloatware. No waiting on OS Updates while the carrier tests them. Not to mention the worry of weather or not your carrier deems your phone still "in". Google still supports the Nexus One, even thoe its mostly EOL (right?). So thats a plus in my books.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Vanilla Android all the way. No theme crap, loaded with bloatware. No waiting on OS Updates while the carrier tests them. Not to mention the worry of weather or not your carrier deems your phone still "in". Google still supports the Nexus One, even thoe its mostly EOL (right?). So thats a plus in my books.
    As long as a device is supported until the next "next" Nexus out. I'm good with that. Because then you can get the phone at discounted price; or, wait a few months and notice that the Nexus S went from 199, 149, 99, and Free in 2 months, lol.

So as long as the Nexus S 4g lasts until the end of 2012. I'm good. Unless Verizon gets an LTE Nexus. Then I'm not waiting.

If another phone comes with GB. And is guaranteed to get ICS it should get "J" to be acceptable. In a timely fashion.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Locked bootloader is a deal breaker....So sorry you've had these problems with your Nex...Sounds very strange that out of the 5 devices you and your girlfriend have had not one worked out....very strange....I paid the same price as you for mine...drove me crazy with the fluctuation in signal bars, however, I never dropped a call and have had some slow experiences on 3g...

Now after rooting and with the new update...I have reached speeds up to 1mb down on 3g and a lil over a half mb for upload....

the highest Ive tested so far on wifi was 12 down and 7 up on vz fios and on cox 9 down and 5 up...

So glad not working today....I suppose a load of folks will be on that wagon to jump to the latest newest device....just to have it even though there is nothing absolutely wrong with the device they posses
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReDDrDz View Post
    Locked bootloader is a deal breaker....So sorry you've had these problems with your Nex...Sounds very strange that out of the 5 devices you and your girlfriend have had not one worked out....very strange....I paid the same price as you for mine...drove me crazy with the fluctuation in signal bars, however, I never dropped a call and have had some slow experiences on 3g...

Now after rooting and with the new update...I have reached speeds up to 1mb down on 3g and a lil over a half mb for upload....

the highest Ive tested so far on wifi was 12 down and 7 up on vz fios and on cox 9 down and 5 up...

So glad not working today....I suppose a load of folks will be on that wagon to jump to the latest newest device....just to have it even though there is nothing absolutely wrong with the device they posses
    I gotta stop my jumping. Which I will. Unless Verizon were to get LTE Nexus. Then I'll stop. Cause I have LTE here and no Wimax. It's frustrating. lol.

There is definitely still an issue with this phone and certain cell towers! I've had Sprint a long time now and I have 3 smart phones on my plan. My nexus and 4 others I know with nexuses all have slow data in some areas where other sprint smart phones are downloading much faster. At my house I'm about 300 yards from a sprint tower and have full signal yet downloads on the nexus are painfully slow. (30 to 100k) . That's on my phone and everyone I know who has a nexus s 4g. My wife's palm pre smokes the nexus at home. But if I go to work 30 miles away my nexus gets only 1 or 2 bars yet download speeds are 10x faster. I really dont understand it. I was in Dayton Ohio last week and had only 2 bars but was getting download speeds over 1m. Dont make since. My neighbor has a evo 4g and at are house his phone will blow the nexus away but if you leave are area the nexus is almost as fast. I talked to sprint and they say they dont know why this is. I have experienced this in several areas. Comparing my wife's pre to my nexus and my daughters blackberry.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    I gotta stop my jumping. Which I will. Unless Verizon were to get LTE Nexus. Then I'll stop. Cause I have LTE here and no Wimax. It's frustrating. lol.
    lol you have the nex or what?

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by redtooth View Post
    There is definitely still an issue with this phone and certain cell towers! I've had Sprint a long time now and I have 3 smart phones on my plan. My nexus and 4 others I know with nexuses all have slow data in some areas where other sprint smart phones are downloading much faster. At my house I'm about 300 yards from a sprint tower and have full signal yet downloads on the nexus are painfully slow. (30 to 100k) . That's on my phone and everyone I know who has a nexus s 4g. My wife's palm pre smokes the nexus at home. But if I go to work 30 miles away my nexus gets only 1 or 2 bars yet download speeds are 10x faster. I really dont understand it. I was in Dayton Ohio last week and had only 2 bars but was getting download speeds over 1m. Dont make since. My neighbor has a evo 4g and at are house his phone will blow the nexus away but if you leave are area the nexus is almost as fast. I talked to sprint and they say they dont know why this is. I have experienced this in several areas. Comparing my wife's pre to my nexus and my daughters blackberry.

are you on 2.3.5 yet or rooted?

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

How are you making your comparisons and/or where are you getting your numbers from?

Im running 2.3.5. No root. I've tested speeds with speekeasy, speedtest AP and good old fashion side by side YouTube download test. At my house YouTube is in watchable without wifi. Other phones are almost instant. If I go to work YouTube is OK with only 1 or 2 bars.

Remember this is not just my phone 4 other people I know have the exact same issues with the nexus. It got to be a compatibility issue with some sprint towers.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Remember this is not just my phone 4 other people I know have the exact same issues with the nexus. It got to be a compatibility issue with some sprint towers.

4 people in the general area of where you live? Friends of yours? Whats stopping you from rooting? My phone has seemed to "perform" much better....

Quote Originally Posted by ReDDrDz View Post
    4 people in the general area of where you live? Friends of yours? Whats stopping you from rooting? My phone has seemed to "perform" much better....
    I tried out the Nexus S 4g for 28 days. I had a horrible experience. I used to have the Evo Shift 4g and I had pretty good signal almost everywhere. A horrible thing I experienced was utter embarrassment about an hour after I activated it: I was showing my cousin (who has an iPhone 4) the beautiful Super AMOLED screen and the swiftness with scrolling through the menus my phone crashed and restarted. That entire first day I crashed 6 times in a period of 8 hours. I went back to the Sprint store the next day and they swapped mine out with another one (the manager was really cool about it). Then I paired my Jawbone Icon to it again and it crashed, right there in the store in front of the manager. He said, "Whoa that's not supposed to happen. This is supposed to be the best phone for Android. What are you doing to the phone you must be doing something wrong..." I said, "You literally finished activating it about 2 minutes ago. I just logged onto my Google account and paired my bluetooth headset...that's it." So I just took the phone and thought ok so I just won't use my Jawbone I'll downgrade to the Plantronics Voyager that I have at home. I went home and paired my Plantronics Voyager and it didn't crash right away. It crashed about 4 hours later. During the entire time I had it, I'd have to restart every 2 hours or so because my voice dialing either wouldn't work or it would crash the phone. This was incredibly irritating because I receive a ton of calls per day at work and I needed my phone to be reliable. So I went out and bought a 3.5mm earpiece and mic. This seemed to solve the crashing problem. With regards to having horrible signal and slow wifi speeds I only experienced the horrible signal. On Wifi it was blazing fast. I had bad signal throughout my house. The only place I could use my phone was in my room by my window. I've never had that problem with any other Sprint phone in my house. My parents are on my plan as well. I bought my father a Palm Pre years ago and that phone is infamous for having a poor signal but he gets at least 2 bars throughout my house. After I got the update on my Nexus S 4g I was "thrilled" to finally have 1 bar of signal in my house.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast