Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 2.3.5 update notification

I don't want to update if I lose free tethering (I use it to connect my transformer to the net when not near wifi).

My questionbis whether or not I can keep the update notification from coming on screen?

Also if my phone gets restarted will that update be installed or only if I accept the update and have it install?
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Default Re: 2.3.5 update notification

You get the options:

Install Now
    Install Later
    Cancel.

When you get this the update is already downloaded to your phone. I'm not sure if hitting cancel will delete it; or, if it will stay there. Also, I'm not sure if hitting cancel, if it stays; will do anything other than the install now option. In terms of if the notification will come back.

Anyone else?

I believe after 2 weeks of the first notification that the update is available, you will be forced to accept the update.

If tethering is that important to you, I suggest rooting, especially if you're in a 4G area since the "free" tethering is 3G only.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I am rooted. But wifitether doesn't work with my transformer since it is adhoc. I don't have any way of rooting my transformer as I don't have a working pc. Thus why I want the free tether option.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by infennon View Post
    I am rooted. But wifitether doesn't work with my transformer since it is adhoc. I don't have any way of rooting my transformer as I don't have a working pc. Thus why I want the free tether option.
    There are paid apps. One time fee. That will tether for free. Yea, you have to pay for the app; but, then you can use it on any device you want. Without rooting. Especially; if, lets say: you don't have the option to root.

A small on time life time fee is small to pay figuring it's what? 30 a month? Stop being completely cheap. :-P

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Which app do you recommend?

ROM
    MIUI,Matrix3.5 cfs

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Which app do you recommend?
    There are free apps as well
    Here's the wired (or usb tether app) and wireless app files.

Download....I'd save em to your computer too,so you can have them for future use.
    Open in Root Explorer,(or another root access file manager app) and install.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by arrogant437; 07-31-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Could someone appoint me in the direction to instructions to root my phone on 2.3.5, thank you, I would really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by lildonnie21 View Post
    Could someone appoint me in the direction to instructions to root my phone on 2.3.5, thank you, I would really appreciate it.
    ShabbyPenguin's method worked great for me...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...lick-root.html

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superblast View Post
    ShabbyPenguin's method worked great for me...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...lick-root.html
    +1

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ok i have cynaogenmod 7.1 on my evo 3d it comes with 2.3.5. ive tried a million plus 1 wifi tethers none work. it will allow my laptop to connect but has limited access only. i got wifi tether 2_0_7 to fully connect but still only access to google sites. any ideas there???

I use EasyTether Pro on my device, and it has worked perfectly. Like somebody else said, there is an upfront cost (9.99 for this one), but after that you are free to use as you wish. I don't know if this app offers 4G tethering as I do not have it in my area anyways.

check out FoxFi in the market - free bluetooth tethering