Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    I work in a large building that uses repeaters to help boost signal through the building. They took the system down over the weekend for repairs and an upgrade. I always got good enough signal throughout the building, sometimes it would bounce between 3g and 1x, but I could make calls and got data fast enough. After this upgrade/repair, I'm seeing slightly better signal displayed but I can't make any phone calls or use data. I have 3 bars with the green 3g but as soon as I try to make a call it drops. I can't get the web to load or use any apps that need a data connection. I thought repeaters just boosted the signal so I don't get how my phone can get signal but not be able to use it. Is there a setting on my phone I need to check? I'm running 2.3.5 Thanks
  2. #2  
    dmora01's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    Quote Originally Posted by frylock11 View Post
    I work in a large building that uses repeaters to help boost signal through the building. They took the system down over the weekend for repairs and an upgrade. I always got good enough signal throughout the building, sometimes it would bounce between 3g and 1x, but I could make calls and got data fast enough. After this upgrade/repair, I'm seeing slightly better signal displayed but I can't make any phone calls or use data. I have 3 bars with the green 3g but as soon as I try to make a call it drops. I can't get the web to load or use any apps that need a data connection. I thought repeaters just boosted the signal so I don't get how my phone can get signal but not be able to use it. Is there a setting on my phone I need to check? I'm running 2.3.5 Thanks
    It is only happening when you are inside the building or all the time?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmora01 View Post
    It is only happening when you are inside the building or all the time?
    Only when I'm in the building, outside and at home work fine. Another guy I work with that has sprint id having the same problem. Att and verizon are working fine
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    i dont know if im having a similar problem, but ive had my phone for a little over a week now, and have had no problems with signal, may have had lower strength but data worked fine, and today, ive been bouncing between data roaming/no 3g service on sprint. this is the first day ive encountered the problem and not sure as to what it is. just figured id put it out there to see if anyone else is having a similar problem...
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    Signal on my new nexus is not great at all at home -- same problem I had on evo and evo 3d as a matter of fact. Have to keep it up on the window sill in order to get any signal. It's rooted, but I can't get the wireless tether to work -- had to break down and turn on the hotspot today so I could access the internet on my computer. Disappointed, but I do love the phone, so I might just have to learn to deal with it. I have a blackberry style as well and it gets a great signal -- so I'll just have to figure it all out.

    Can I do a number switch -- is that something Sprint will do, or ????
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    Quote Originally Posted by rangeyrd View Post
    had to break down and turn on the hotspot today so I could access the internet on my computer.
    do you mean you're paying Sprint for it now?

    Can I do a number switch -- is that something Sprint will do, or ????
    switch what number?
  7. #7  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,760 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default

    Op, it seems to be an issue inside the building and you have poor signal even though the phone bars show otherwise. It may be picking up a signal and quickly looses it because it's weak.

    I experience the same thing at work.

    Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phone has signal but not making calls or getting data

    Quote Originally Posted by rangeyrd View Post
    Signal on my new nexus is not great at all at home -- same problem I had on evo and evo 3d as a matter of fact. Have to keep it up on the window sill in order to get any signal. It's rooted, but I can't get the wireless tether to work -- had to break down and turn on the hotspot today so I could access the internet on my computer. Disappointed, but I do love the phone, so I might just have to learn to deal with it. I have a blackberry style as well and it gets a great signal -- so I'll just have to figure it all out.

    Can I do a number switch -- is that something Sprint will do, or ????
    What you need to do is call Sprint and complain politely about your signal at home. More than half the time they will send you out a Airave device for free and waive the $4.99 monthly fee as well. Airave will give you full bars throughout your house as well as great 3G signal. I am easily able to pull in 1.5mbps down and 500kbps up with it. Can't beat free!

Posting Permissions

B