getting a Nexus S - what to do or get first?

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I'm going to get the Nexus S today, swapping in my HTC Evo. Since I'm still new to the smart phone/Android scene, can anyone give me some basic pointers or tips on what to do first? As far as apps or removing/adding stuff, updating and what not. What can a rooted Nexus S do? Or is there any point in trying to do that, since it's already vanilla Android? I don't know much about this, but it sounds like something I may want to tinker with eventually. How is gaming on it? I feel like I have so much to learn, and there is just too much random info everywhere.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So I'm going to get the Nexus S today, swapping in my HTC Evo. Since I'm still new to the smart phone/Android scene, can anyone give me some basic pointers or tips on what to do first? As far as apps or removing/adding stuff, updating and what not. What can a rooted Nexus S do? Or is there any point in trying to do that, since it's already vanilla Android? I don't know much about this, but it sounds like something I may want to tinker with eventually. How is gaming on it? I feel like I have so much to learn, and there is just too much random info everywhere.

It's not going to be any different than your Evo; except, in the fact that:

1- It's Vanilla
2- Higher Version of android; which, really big bang is just Google Talk Video Chat.

Do you need to root it?

1- If you want to run certain apps that need root; then, clearly, Yes.
2- If you want to flash custom roms and kernels; then, obviously. The only thing I could think of flashing is kernels for overclocking in my own interest as most roms from other devices were just making it vanilla. Some add features so to each their own if you want to.

Gaming, what are you playing? I just play emulators and ps1 works well.

Remove? Nothing.... except maybe Google Earth; which, you can't. Unless of course you root. (Weird, not really sure why).

Add? Anything you used before.

Jumping from Android to Android isn't a big jump? If anything it's not a jump. It's more like "bugs fixed". That's how I feel coming from Epic to Nexus. O, and of course having GB. Which, really, on the surface isn't TOOO much different. So it's not really big; unless, you were jumping to a HC or ICS device. And HC confused me when I first tried one out. I couldn't figure out my way around. Don't own a HC device and don't plan on it so I still don't know my way around, lol. But it's all really the same. You don't lose anything going to a device with a better OS. You just gain.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
More importantly, physically:

Get a case or holster. I had my Nexus with no case for about a week. The batter cover got small scratches on it from placing it on the desk everywhere. Doesn't bother me; but, I wanted a case for drops. I got a case but took it off recently to use a holster. (I only dropped it once as I usually don't; and, the corer got a nick in it. Not bad; but, if you worried about those things.

Depending on how you are with your phones at minimum I would recommend a holster to keep the scratches away.

The plastic is a little "softer" than the materials on the Evo.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I do use Facebook, but not religiously like some people. I don't really call many people, just maybe 4-5 people on a regular basis if I DO call people. I don't text that much either. I'm mainly using it for light basic phone stuff (like I just listed), and internet + gaming. I probably won't use it to it's full potential. I will get a case though, already kind of bummed I didn't order one sooner, which means I'll have to be careful with my phone and not scratch it until I get it.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh stupid question... is there more than one type of "Nexus S"? I'm trying to find a case to buy on Amazon and there is a Nexus S i902... is that the same thing??

jtexans

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh stupid question... is there more than one type of "Nexus S"? I'm trying to find a case to buy on Amazon and there is a Nexus S i902... is that the same thing??

I haven't read where a T-mobile Nexus S case doesn't fit a Sprint's Nexus S....

Back to your original question:
Battery Widget
Launcher Pro
decent screen protector
good case - Incipio is good for the minimal look. Seidio Combo for the super protection.

I've been addicted to Diversion game the last 2-3 weeks.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
RETURN IT!!! LOL, JK. Get a screen protector and a case. Apply both before powering on for the first time. Next get ADW Launcher EX because it looks and feels stock when left alone but allows for an immense amour of customization once your ready to dive in. I've been a sense user for a few years but since switching to the Nexus I can't see myself owning anything that isn't pure Google.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got it last night, my boyfriend took it to the store near his work and exchanged the Evo out for me. I have to say, I like this Nexus MUCH more!! Right off the bat, I could tell the screen was better.. brighter and more vivid colors. The UI is definitely more 'clean' and simple, and I like that I can have a clean slate to customize and play with. Everything seems faster. I've been glued to it since the moment I got it, installing apps and customizing my screens. I already ordered the case and screen protectors, but in the meanwhile, I'll just have to be very careful with it and I've left the original plastic film on the back of it on.

I am new to the Android/smart phone scene, because after losing my last 2 phones, I got a crappy pre-paid one to punish myself. My boyfriend got me an Evo (the same phone he has) as a birthday gift not too long ago and said I could swap it out in 30 days. So I did some serious researching, and with the help of people on this forum, choosing the Nexus S made my decision easier.

So after letting me play with the phone for a while, my boyfriend comes into the room and said he wanted to check my phone out, so I let him mess around with it. Afterwards, he asked me if I was sure I wanted to keep this phone or get something different. I told him I liked this phone very much, and he just said "But the screen is smaller than the Evo." Then I just smirked and said "I don't care. I've been reading the forums and even if the screen is smaller, everything else about it is better." I think he may have gotten a little bit jealous! He just said that he needed the bigger screen because he has fat fingers and needs it to type. ha! I won't rub it in his face though, he probably wouldn't care about the differences anyways.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you going to tell them that they're free today at Best Buy?

Doesn't matter to me, I didn't pay for it. I am on his plan, and he gets an employee discount from his company, and it was a gift on my birthday, so I'm not going to fret over that. And there would have been no reason for me to be on a look out for such deals since I wasn't trying to buy one to begin with.

Btw.. anyone know how to make this darn Maps app from appearing? I keep looking at my battery usage and see that this Maps is like the 2nd thing on the list, and I don't even use it. I've tried killing the app several times but it just shows back up a little while later.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Ok then.

Btw...I know how to address your Maps issue but I don't use your phone and it doesn't affect me so whatevs.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So why are you on this forum? What was even the point of telling me that you know how to fix it? Why don't you go troll someone else's post since you have so much free time doing stuff that doesn't affect you?