Nexus Refurb Question...

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well my Nexus S fails the PRL and Profile update every time. Sprint did a software reinstall on the phone and the problem still persists. They are ordering me a replacement phone. My question is does anyone here have a refurb Nexus S 4G from Sprint yet? If so how does it compare to a new one? I know the refurb Palm Pre's they send out were pure trash with oreo effect and washed out LCD screens. Also if anyone has a refurb can they confirm if they have 11.04 or 11.05 behind the battery? I hear 11.05 has potentially better Wifi and 3G signal? My current is a 11.04 so I'm hoping for a 11.05...

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The refurbs are never refurbs, they are new units purchased by Sprint without retail packaging, batteries and battery doors. In this case the NS4G arrives in a small white box containing handset and battery door. Original screen protector and battery cover film are intact. Brand new!! There are of course excepts but 9 1/2 times out if 10 companies keep the actual refurbs for repair center parts and when a customer chooses to purchase a refurbished unit. You have a brand new phone on the way, I'd be shocked if not. Ive unfortunately had numerous replacements and each has been new. Insurance too, they advise that your replacement can be refurbished but in reality they arrive in retail packaging same as if purchased from the carrier.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh and fyi, many of us are experiencing the PRL/Profile update issues.

Well most people are able to update sometimes though. Mine failed every time. Plus my wifi and 3g is terrible so can't hurt to get a new one where there is a possibility I could have improved reception.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well now I get told today that Nexus S replacements are back ordered. Wonder if I will end up getting the 11.05 version now? I can only hope!

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I have the 11.05 version...I always wondered about these. Is there a difference between 11.05 and 11.04? I'm going to have to get mine replaced due to it have a loose charging port (charges fine on a replacement adapter Sprint gave me, but on any car charger I try it stops charging when I bring the phone to my face).

Is 11.05 suppose to have better hardware (touchscreen, radio, etc)?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the 11.05 version...I always wondered about these. Is there a difference between 11.05 and 11.04? I'm going to have to get mine replaced due to it have a loose charging port (charges fine on a replacement adapter Sprint gave me, but on any car charger I try it stops charging when I bring the phone to my face).
Oh no! You had issues with your Epic 4g now your having problems with your Nexus?!?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Oh no! You had issues with your Epic 4g now your having problems with your Nexus?!?

lol....this is a refurb Nexus S because my first one (bough from Craigslist) had a bad radio or something to where the Profile/PRL stopped working. The one I got through Sprint warranty is 11.05, and I think it's kind of my fault because I think the charger port got bent on this replacement but Sprint doesn't have to know that lol....

anyway, is there a real difference between 11.04 and 11.05? The OP said that 11.05 is supposed to have better Wifi and 3G, which I never really had a problem with on either devices, but I work in an area of good coverage so idk...?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
anyway, is there a real difference between 11.04 and 11.05? The OP said that 11.05 is supposed to have better Wifi and 3G, which I never really had a problem with on either devices, but I work in an area of good coverage so idk...?

Just sounds like build dates. This is the first I've heard someone say there was a potential difference with reception between them. I have a 11.04 and don't experience any receptions issue with mine yet others have, so I really don't see there being much of a difference between the two.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Is 11.05 suppose to have better hardware (touchscreen, radio, etc)?

I read somewhere here in a PRL/Profile Update issues thread that 11.05 brings better reception to WIFI and 3G. Which could be the cause for half the people saying they get perfect signal and the other half complaining...

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The refurbs are never refurbs, they are new units purchased by Sprint without retail packaging, batteries and battery doors. In this case the NS4G arrives in a small white box containing handset and battery door. Original screen protector and battery cover film are intact. Brand new!! There are of course excepts but 9 1/2 times out if 10 companies keep the actual refurbs for repair center parts and when a customer chooses to purchase a refurbished unit. You have a brand new phone on the way, I'd be shocked if not. Ive unfortunately had numerous replacements and each has been new. Insurance too, they advise that your replacement can be refurbished but in reality they arrive in retail packaging same as if purchased from the carrier.

Well I ended up getting another Nexus at a different Sprint corp store since it was back ordered nationally. The phone came out of a regular looking Nexus box but had black marker on the side that said RECON. The tech there said multiple times that it was a reconditioned device which is the same as refurbished. Anyways my PRL/Profile update works fine now but the same poor WIFI signal lingers as I got another 11.04 version. I mean seriously 5 feet away losing 2 bars of WIFI signal and getting a max of 8,000kbps while the Photon I owned for a couple days pulled in 15,000kbps and had max bars throughout the home? Samsung must of put the absolute crappiest WIFI antenna ever in this device. I sure don't recall the Epic having poor Wifi...