New Nexus S, touchscreen thinks its being touched when not!!

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Help!!! Bought brand new Nexus S 4G from Best Buy two days ago when it was free. Several times a day it goes completely haywire! Acts as if touchscreen is being touched repeatedly, as if long hold on home page, or back button being repeatedly pressed. Random menu's, popups etc. appear and pressing back or home does not clear them. Only way to correct is to power off/on phone. Then it works fine for awhile. Seems to do this more often if using the phone while connected to charger.

A seach on web indicates this problem is common since Nexus S 4G was released but I have not seen any solution. I am within my 7 day return policy at Best Buy but am afraid of getting another that does the same thing! Running 2.3.5. Any ideas?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Try a factory reset? If not bring it in and show them. Tell them to swap it out since it's brand new. I've never had this problem with mine.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Take it back to BB. And if the next one has the same problem (highly unlikely), take that one back too. You paid good money for it! ;)

philbw

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
This is a problem with your charger. Same thing happened to me. Found out the cheap wall charger I was using caused problems. The oem charger that came with it and my cheap car charger do not cause this problem.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a problem with your charger. Same thing happened to me. Found out the cheap wall charger I was using caused problems. The oem charger that came with it and my cheap car charger do not cause this problem.

If it only happens with the charge plugged in; then, it's the chargers problem. But, if it's happening without it in randomly when you haven't been plugged in for hours: then it's the phone.

I've noticed chargers with 1000ma output or higher will do this.

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a USB cable on my laptop that came with an older phone and works fine with several other phones (HP, LG). Gonna try only using cable that came with Nexus although issue could be caused by USB port on PC I suppose. This issue has been discussed on several older threads but each seems to vary on exact symptoms and circumstances.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You have 30 days to return, not just 7 days. I took my last phone back at day 25 or 26 --- waited a week and then bought the nexus to start the 30 days over again. Not trying to scam the system or anything, just want to have enough time to be sure I will love the phone for two years --- don't think I can talk Sprint into a year upgrade again next year.

cjitty

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
mine did this, returned it to best buy and got a new phone..problem solved. I could hold my finger about 1/8 of an inch above the back button, and it would activate..very strange. charger or no charger, didn't matter, so I wouldn't go off the charger being the issue. Its a hardware issue, at least it was for me. Also went back to best buy this past Wed when the phone was free for one day..got my $99 back so phone was ultimately free..:cool:

Huff

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It does appear to be the charger cable is somehow causing this issue. Tried two different USB cables to my laptop and Nexus goes haywire with random popups, overly responsive touchscreen, back or home buttons intermittently not working etc. Very repeatable. These two cables work fine on two Palm Pre's and an LG Rumor Touch.

I then switched to the USB cable the Nexus came with. So far no problems. What could be the difference in USB cables that would cause this?

Joshua Houston

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Weird. Got a Huawei Ideos U8800 that does the exact same thing... Though this is a year old now, But it's also running Android 2.3.5. I wonder if that has something to do with it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21