Does built in android backup work?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Got a question. I had NS4G since day one and it was only rooted running original ROM. I enabled Google backup from day one and never redid my phone before. Yesterday I decided to update to 2.3.5 release so I did my usual dance of doing full backup with titanium, nandroid and also copied my USB drive to my Mac.

I flashed it back to stock, rebooted it. Turned on WIFI and updated to 2.3.5 without signing in to my google account. After update I updated PRL, profile, made sure my phone was working and I rooted it again on 2.3.5 again leaving it on standard ROM.

After that I signed in to my google account and then waited for restore to happen :). Well it didn't. My calendar, gmail and contacts got synced but none of my settings, apps and user data came over.

What am I missing? Did anyone get it to work?

Thanks

Alex

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Also curious on this. I have a custom dictionary I took the time to make and don't want to lose it. (Non rooted)

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Got a question. I had NS4G since day one and it was only rooted running original ROM. I enabled Google backup from day one and never redid my phone before. Yesterday I decided to update to 2.3.5 release so I did my usual dance of doing full backup with titanium, nandroid and also copied my USB drive to my Mac.

I flashed it back to stock, rebooted it. Turned on WIFI and updated to 2.3.5 without signing in to my google account. After update I updated PRL, profile, made sure my phone was working and I rooted it again on 2.3.5 again leaving it on standard ROM.

After that I signed in to my google account and then waited for restore to happen :). Well it didn't. My calendar, gmail and contacts got synced but none of my settings, apps and user data came over.

What am I missing? Did anyone get it to work?

Thanks

Alex
You didn't have to do any of this to update if you were rooted.

Also curious on this. I have a custom dictionary I took the time to make and don't want to lose it. (Non rooted)
You won't lose anything if you're not rooted and accept the update.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmm from what i've read on all the threads u can't accept OTA while being rooted. Thats why i went back to stock and updated. I could have skipped few steps by flashing rooted odexed or deodexed 2.3.5 rom but I didn't want to do it. Just wanted simple root

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
...What am I missing? Did anyone get it to work?

I don't think you are missing anything, I've tried the Google restore twice on my Nexus and once on my Evo with no luck at all.

I read here of one person that posted about it successfully to restoring everything (apps, setting, data) on a Nexus after a reset; that's the only account I recall about this feature working.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Hmm from what i've read on all the threads u can't accept OTA while being rooted. Thats why i went back to stock and updated. I could have skipped few steps by flashing rooted odexed or deodexed 2.3.5 rom but I didn't want to do it. Just wanted simple root
I guess now I'm curious about what your reasoning is/was for not just flashing a stock rom. As you learned, the going back to stock method isn't without its faults.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
reason was i wanted to have OTA update as is. From reading few posts some had issues with doing non ota update, some stock rooted roms also had issues. Since rooting is very easy on the phone I did it the long way (which actually turned out to be very short way :) )

You misunderstood my post. Question I had was specific to google backup/restore process. I did prepare though. I had nandroid backup as well as full Titanium backup so i didn't loose anything. Everything was restored via Titanium Backup, I was just wondering how and if Google backup works.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you are missing anything, I've tried the Google restore twice on my Nexus and once on my Evo with no luck at all.

I read here of one person that posted about it successfully to restoring everything (apps, setting, data) on a Nexus after a reset; that's the only account I recall about this feature working.

Same here. Only one account of full restore. I guess its either buggy or there is a process that needs to be followed :)

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
reason was i wanted to have OTA update as is. From reading few posts some had issues with doing non ota update, some stock rooted roms also had issues. Since rooting is very easy on the phone I did it the long way (which actually turned out to be very short way :) )

You misunderstood my post. Question I had was specific to google backup/restore process. I did prepare though. I had nandroid backup as well as full Titanium backup so i didn't loose anything. Everything was restored via Titanium Backup, I was just wondering how and if Google backup works.
I didn't misunderstand and I'm aware of what steps you took. I was saying that the alternative process was to download the rom and radio to your phone, boot into recovery, select files, done. Not saying your way was wrong in the least.

As far as the Google part goes, it seems like it's buggy like you said more than anything. Sometimes settings are saved and sometimes they aren't. The only things that I personally expect to be there at this point are contacts and calendar data. The rest seems to be a crap shoot.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't misunderstand and I'm aware of what steps you took. I was saying that the alternative process was to download the rom and radio to your phone, boot into recovery, select files, done. Not saying your way was wrong in the least.

As far as the Google part goes, it seems like it's buggy like you said more than anything. Sometimes settings are saved and sometimes they aren't. The only things that I personally expect to be there at this point are contacts and calendar data. The rest seems to be a crap shoot.

The only thing I noticed that works with Google Backup:

My secure WiFi Connections are restored. (Thank god, that password is long, lol.)
And my apps start to redownload themselves from the market. (Which is annoying when your not on WiFi; I recommend being in WiFi if your going to be using it.)

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You didn't have to do any of this to update if you were rooted.

You won't lose anything if you're not rooted and accept the update.

I am interested in factory restoring. Are you saying I won't lose my custom dictionary?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in factory restoring. Are you saying I won't lose my custom dictionary?
Factory restore will wipe everything and make your phone like the day you bought it.

If you're not rooted and you install the update that is sent to your phone, you don't lose anything at all.

As a disclaimer, of course, anything is possible and I guess your phone could burst into flames, but yeah, you should be good to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar