Urgent help with Google Voice needed please

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello, coming from the EVO, and now the awesome Nexus-S 4G, I am used to the stock Visual Voicemail that Sprint provides on the EVO's, and with the Nexus I just setup Google Voice. Some issues and questions please.

- My texts are going to the Voice app, not GO SMS anymore ? I only want texts using the GO app, not Google Voice.

- It seems I did use Google Voice like a year ago, and I have a boatload of message popping up from last year, how do I delete all these old voice mail messages ?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
click the gear in the upper right hand corner of the screen
voice settings
phones tab
uncheck Receive Texts on This Phone

you can delete all your old messages from your inbox here too

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
And now some weird thing just happened ? When incoming phone calls, there is a quick voices says press 1 to accept this incoming call ? That's crazy !!! I don't want to have to go through that

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
there are a lot more settings in there and you can turn that off too. im on my way out the door but everything is in there, just take a look around.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
there are a lot more settings in there and you can turn that off too. im on my way out the door but everything is in there, just take a look around.

Thanks for the help :) I changed a bunch of the settings thanks. It was overwhelming at first, Google Voice seemed to take over my phone I did not like that, but there are a ton of options to change etc...

One last question, is there a way for the little Voice app icon, to display a # next to it of unread messages ? Like if I miss a text message it will show a little number 1 at the top corner of the app icon of how many missed texts I have, can the voice icon show that too ?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My text messages are still going to Google Voice, and not even showing up in my GO SMS text app at all, or even the stock Android messaging, they only going to Google voice ? I did log into my gmail account on my computer and disabled texts, but it didn't seem to take ?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
My text messages are still going to Google Voice, and not even showing up in my GO SMS text app at all, or even the stock Android messaging, they only going to Google voice ? I did log into my gmail account on my computer and disabled texts, but it didn't seem to take ?

Open App. Press Menu Button. More. Settings.Sync and Notifications. Check Synchronize Inbox. Then make sure Inbox Notifications, Vibrate, and Light are unchecked. Uncheck Synchronize Inbox. Then Make Sure Text Messages are checked.

Now go to the full Google Voice site settings and find where it says to text you for voicemail notifications.
You want that because leaving the Google Voice Inbox Sync on (on your phone) will notify you of both Texts and Voicemails (but kill your battery), but once you uncheck that (as you already did) you wont get notified of voicemails anymore unless you have the text for voicemail setting on (on the full site).

Make sense?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Open App. Press Menu Button. More. Settings.Sync and Notifications. Check Synchronize Inbox. Then make sure Inbox Notifications, Vibrate, and Light are unchecked. Uncheck Synchronize Inbox. Then Make Sure Text Messages are checked.

Now go to the full Google Voice site settings and find where it says to text you for voicemail notifications.
You want that because leaving the Google Voice Inbox Sync on (on your phone) will notify you of both Texts and Voicemails (but kill your battery), but once you uncheck that (as you already did) you wont get notified of voicemails anymore unless you have the text for voicemail setting on (on the full site).

Make sense?

Ok thanks, I followed your instructions to a "t".

What I am looking for is that Google Voice will act just as my Sprint visual Voice mail did before, used ONLY as my voice mail app, NO texts, NO e-mails, etc...only just to check voice mails and nothing else.

I want texts going through my GO SMS app, and missed texts showing up on my bottom GO Launcher EX rosie.

EDIT;

Am I supposed to disable "your Google Voice Number - enabled by Sprint" in the computer settings on my @gmail account ? I had a missed call, and the little recorder icon appeared at the top notification bar, to call the Sprint # and dial into my voice mail that old school way ? It did not show up in Google Voice. hmm...

Last edited:

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

What I am looking for is that Google Voice will act just as my Sprint visual Voice mail did before, used ONLY as my voice mail app, NO texts, NO e-mails, etc...only just to check voice mails and nothing else.

I want texts going through my GO SMS app, and missed texts showing up on my bottom GO Launcher EX rosie.

EDIT;

Am I supposed to disable "your Google Voice Number - enabled by Sprint" in the computer settings on my @gmail account ? I had a missed call, and the little recorder icon appeared at the top notification bar, to call the Sprint # and dial into my voice mail that old school way ? It did not show up in Google Voice. hmm...

What you should of done is set up originally to only use your Google voice for voicemail unstead of porting your sprint number. You had to make it so it forwards your calls to another g voice number or whatever.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

EDIT;

You can do what I said originally and have it text you of new voicemails then when you hear one just open Google voice and refresh it so you see the new voicemail. Just ignore all the other stuff that is there.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am totally lost and confused now. Sorry to sound like an idiot.

Should I disable my Sprint # on the website settings ? Right now not getting any voice mails. They only shoeing up old school by dialing into a #

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I am totally lost and confused now. Sorry to sound like an idiot.

Should I disable my Sprint # on the website settings ? Right now not getting any voice mails. They only shoeing up old school by dialing into a #

Sounds like your number was never set up with Google Voice. First try add another phone and use your Sprint* Number. See if that changes anything, then try disable if that doesnt work.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Try disable and startover is my best guess.

Yes I did disable, and uninstalled the app as best I could. I downloaded the newest version of Google Voice from the Market, and reinstalled. I skipped the first part, but had to dial some weird # to get a pass code or something, and went through the steps again, one by one.

But now my voice mail # is totally different than my cell phone #. It is a local area code different than my cell #. Is that normal ?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did disable, and uninstalled the app as best I could. I downloaded the newest version of Google Voice from the Market, and reinstalled. I skipped the first part, but had to dial some weird # to get a pass code or something, and went through the steps again, one by one.

But now my voice mail # is totally different than my cell phone #. It is a local area code different than my cell #. Is that normal ?
Yep. I had an alternate number when I had it set up just for voicemail. Google voice does not use Sprints voicemail service.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I had an alternate number when I had it set up just for voicemail. Google voice does not use Sprints voicemail service.

Thank you for your patience and help with this today :) Much appreciated.

Does it get easier ? Lets say I get into flashing custom ROM's, will need to setup Google Voice each time fresh again, will it be the same pain in the ass, or much easier now that we did all this ?