Keep NS4G or get dual-core?

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Okay, i've got a bit of a dilema. First of all i want to say that im not a power smartphone user but i do like to use it for email, few games, internet browsing and pics/videos.

That being said, i was so exicted about the NS4g that i got it about 2 weeks ago. my friends criticized me for getting it mainly because its single core and only 512 RAM. I normally don't care and like i mentioned, i think i will be fine with the single core for what i do. But, as i am a gadget nerd i do like having the latest and greatest. My main problem is that the NS4g will be very obsolete VERY soon with its 512 RAM. Do you all think this is the case??? I think future apps will require more memory and even though i may not go crazy with apps in the future it is nice to know that i can have a phone that can use them if need be. Basically, i don't want to have this phone for 2 years if future software will not be optimized for it.

Last gripe....with the software, i know ice cream sandwich will probably come to the NS4g, but do you all think at least one more version will in its full form???? If android becomes more graphics intensive (why would it in a future version of the OS), then im thinking how will the NS4g be updated. I fully understand that after 2 years you should change your phone anyway, and i will. So essentially, my BIG NERD question is do you all think that the NS4g will receive at least 2 updates from google that be fully compatible with the phone. Technically i think google should as it is a nexus phone and what you expect, but you never know with google or anyone these days.

just looking for interesting thoughts, and sorry for the rambling.

PS: I can still opt out of my contract for the next 10 days or so.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Keep NS4G or get dual-core???

The Nexus One received two years of updates, so I would guess that the Nexus S would as well. The usage habits that you described doesn't seem to warrant a dual core processor. And I would like to note that the Nexus S 4G outperforms most Android devices on the market, even some dual core devices. The GPU is top of the line. Enjoy your Nexus S and the vanilla experience. Stop looking for excuses to replace it. A Nexus S user should be a happy user.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I am assuming that you played with the EVO 3D and Photon and prefer the Nexus S 4G, so keep it and enjoy it. It also sounds like you have used whatever Nexus S Workarounds you needed.

The Samsung Galaxy S II (Sprint Epic 4G Touch) is coming next but there will always be another phone coming soon.

You have a phone you like. Keep it.

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Haha thanks, i agree. In all honestly, if no phones came out in the future from now on, i would pick the NS4g hands down. I think its better than evo 3d, photon and i would even pick it over the galaxy s2. im kinda thinking of waiting for the nexus prime or whatever but who knows when that will come to sprint. I know rumors say of a simultaneous carrier launch but i find that a bit too good to be true and all in november or so..

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not, but i know that 512 MB is pretty low RAM. I don't know if i would have issues im just confused why they put 512 on it and not 1 GB.:confused:

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I just returned my EVO-3D for the Nexus-S, I am in LOVE with this phone. Installed the GO Launcher ex, and after a night of heavy customizing, this phone rocks :cool:

Sure the 3VO has better spec's, but in the really real world, it didn't feel any faster whatsoever compared to this Nexus-S, plus the screen is to die for, I love it, and the rounded shape, and razor thin lightweight from factor, I think it's the perfect size, and fits in the pocket comfortably, without feeling like a brick.

I am afraid to hear the Galaxy S2 for the U.S. will be 4.5" screen, that is border line way too big, and then gets a little hard to put in your pocket without the fear of breaking it. I would love the Nexus-Three to be the exact same case and size as the Nexus-S, just make it dual core, new Super AMOLED+ screen, and Ice Cream update, and I will be very happy.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not, but i know that 512 MB is pretty low RAM. I don't know if i would have issues im just confused why they put 512 on it and not 1 GB.:confused:
Did you ever check and see how little ram your phone typically uses? :confused:

: paperspecs:

:butmyfriendsaid:

:ithinkbutireallyhavenoidea:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm just gonna post and not read (just the title):

My opinion. If you got the Nexus S... and you want another device. Your going to want another Nexus. And I'm sure the next one will rival what's out now.

Second, If your upgrade isn't in time for the next Nexus: just wait. Your phone will be good until the next - next one comes out. And assuming that the dual core is aimed towards gaming... unless your gaming: I highly doubt this phone wouldn't be able to run programs that are coming out in the next 1-2 years along with the OS which isn't going to NEED a bigger CPU to run. (If it did you'd need Quad core to run your games).

Maybe you'll need more ram in the future when ICS comes out since they said you'll be able to miltitask even more; but, how many apps do you really need to be running on your phone at once? (I'm sure in the future you will but until you NEED to with new apps, etc you should be good)

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys, makes me feel a bit better. Basically i can get out of my contract in the next 2 weeks and can wait out for the prime, but honestly i don't want to wait. Also, there is no concrete proof it is coming to sprint in the near future, as it may come out in may 2012 like the NS4g did. So anyways, i'll probably keep my awesome new phone as i don't plan to be a hard core user but i will still use it on a daily basis. i'm also coming from the palm pre minus so this is certainly a step up :cool:

Wolfsv

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally, my number 1 complaint about the NS4G is battery life. I barely make it through the day with medium to light usage. I can't imagine a dual-core phone (with larger display?) helping me in that arena...

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, my number 1 complaint about the NS4G is battery life. I barely make it through the day with medium to light usage. I can't imagine a dual-core phone (with larger display?) helping me in that arena...
Once Android actually uses both cores, then it will help with battery life.

LuckyLucky

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I got rid of my 3D for the Nexus S. I got caught up in the dual-core hype.

It is technically faster, but the only place the dual-core actually made a noticeable difference for me was the web browsing (it was buttery smooth on the 3D). Everything else feels the same on my Nexus. I'm not really an app user (I've downloaded less than 10) and the Nexus automatically closes apps when not in use so the small amount of RAM does not slow down my phone. I don't uses live wallpapers either, so that might make a difference

I chose the Nexus S over the 3D because the size (the 4" sweetspot), the awesome battery life, and for the fact that it feels more like a phone to me than my 3D did.

If you're really into being able to play the latest games, then dual-core may be your best choice. That and the Nexus doesn't have the qHD display the Photon and Evo 3D have.

drummer7

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I got rid of my 3D for the Nexus S. I got caught up in the dual-core hype.

It is technically faster, but the only place the dual-core actually made a noticeable difference for me was the web browsing (it was buttery smooth on the 3D). Everything else feels the same on my Nexus. I'm not really an app user (I've downloaded less than 10) and the Nexus automatically closes apps when not in use so the small amount of RAM does not slow down my phone. I don't uses live wallpapers either, so that might make a difference

I chose the Nexus S over the 3D because the size (the 4" sweetspot), the awesome battery life, and for the fact that it feels more like a phone to me than my 3D did.

If you're really into being able to play the latest games, then dual-core may be your best choice. That and the Nexus doesn't have the qHD display the Photon and Evo 3D have.

yeah but the super amoled is better than qhd in my opinion. especially in sunlight