Push email is not instantaneous?

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Palm Pre, where I have 5 email accounts (2 gmail, 2 google, and 1 of my own domain via google apps) all pushing to the phone. Email is always pretty much instantaneous as I have it set to be deliver "as it arrives"

I'm trying to get the same thing going on the NS4G but there doesn't seem to be an option for it. The closest I saw was to get email every 5 minutes. I've tried using Google's Gmail app, the default Android Email app, and now K-9 Mail. They're all the same in term of email delivery frequency.

Am I missing something here? Or is there really no true push email on Android? Help??

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I ran into the same problem and resolved the issue by setting up my Gmail account as a Corporate MS Exchange account on my NS4G. Once I did that using the standard email app, I was getting push emails and calendar events. This was a trick I discovered after doing a Google search.

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I ran into the same problem and resolved the issue by setting up my Gmail account as a Corporate MS Exchange account on my NS4G. Once I did that using the standard email app, I was getting push emails and calendar events. This was a trick I discovered after doing a Google search.

What about for non-gmail accounts? Any luck on that front?

UPDATE 1: I'm currently using the K-9 Email client because I have gmail and non-gmail accounts, 5 total. Using separate email clients for different accounts is just not an acceptable workaround for me. Anyone have tips or thoughts on how to get multiple email accounts that are not all gmail accounts working in an integrated way like on webOS? thx.

UPDATE 2: Ok sorry another update... What I am seeing is that sometimes an email will take 1-3 minutes to arrive. And sometimes, it will take up to 15 minutes to arrive. I can't figure out how or why it is so. I have all my email accounts set to the lowest time possible (every 5 minutes) since there's no option for instantaneous. This is maddening.

Last edited:

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Push email on my Nexus through gmail is much much slower than it was on my Blackberry. My BB was getting my email from gmail too and was delivering it much faster.

What do you consider slower? I get gmail messages using the gmail app in seconds from when I send them to myself from another account.

And exchange messages get to my phone before I get them through Outlook at my desk.

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
So... back to my original question. Do people just not care about having push email that works properly??

I am hating this phone more and more with all of these random little annoyances.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned you have your accounts set to sync every 5 minutes. Are you using pop3 or imap? If it is imap then email should be pushed to your phone and there would be no sync interval to specify.

I use the Gmail application and get mail just as quickly as the blackberry in the house. I also have non-Gmail forwarded to a Gmail account and that Gmail account is set up so that when I reply it is actually sent through the non-gmail provider. This way I can get everything pushed from Gmail and always have the reply sent from the correct address.

In addition to the gmail app you might look at Maildroid. I used this for a while before deciding to just go with the gmail app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Push email on my Nexus through gmail is much much slower than it was on my Blackberry. My BB was getting my email from gmail too and was delivering it much faster.

I've also noticed that Android GMail is slower than my old Blackberry's email. It's one of the few advantages Blackberry has over Android, in my experience. But I don't mind waiting two or three minutes for an email notification with the numerous amounts of advantages Android has over BB.

un_designer

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned you have your accounts set to sync every 5 minutes. Are you using pop3 or imap? If it is imap then email should be pushed to your phone and there would be no sync interval to specify.

I use the Gmail application and get mail just as quickly as the blackberry in the house. I also have non-Gmail forwarded to a Gmail account and that Gmail account is set up so that when I reply it is actually sent through the non-gmail provider. This way I can get everything pushed from Gmail and always have the reply sent from the correct address.

In addition to the gmail app you might look at Maildroid. I used this for a while before deciding to just go with the gmail app.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

All of my email accounts are, or rather were, set up as IMAP. After about 10 days of playing around with the Nexus S and Android, I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me. The past few days have been particularly frustrating as I thought that this app or that app could solve the issue. I'm finding myself installing a bunch of apps trying to the user experience to be one that I am happy with, and it is just not happening. So, I returned the phone this afternoon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800