Handcent Sending Gibberish?

bowmanm3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with Handcent sending gibberish instead of what you actually type? This has happened to me a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will type a message and send it. On my phone the message looks completely normal, but on the recipient's phone it looks like a bunch of random simples, numbers and letters that look nothing like the message. I love using Handcent, but I can't use it if its going to keep doing this. For now I have switched to GO SMS Pro, it works alright but isnt as visually appealing as Handcent.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with Handcent sending gibberish instead of what you actually type? This has happened to me a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will type a message and send it. On my phone the message looks completely normal, but on the recipient's phone it looks like a bunch of random simples, numbers and letters that look nothing like the message. I love using Handcent, but I can't use it if its going to keep doing this. For now I have switched to GO SMS Pro, it works alright but isnt as visually appealing as Handcent.

Yes I have had this problem. And I found out how...it's when I type over the allotted 160 characters. Say I type 200 characters, Handcent would normally split it up into two different messages, but it sends it now as one jumbled mess. I don't see it on my end, but I can see it on their end if their phone is right next to me.

I also just added Google Voice, so when I open my Google Voice text's folder, you see my message right there, and it's exactly the same as what's on the receivers end...numbers and symbols. So I was able to get proof it was doing it on my end and not the receivers end. I have ONLY run into the problem when I go over the 160 single text limit. Once I go over into 2 texts within one message, It messes up the text. If that makes any sense...

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It's the 160 character limit like cpolism said, but i THINK there is a setting in handcent to split the messages. i dont use it but ive seen it mentioned as a fix on here before.

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I would highly recommend GO SMS over Handcent on the Nexus S. The default text manager is a joke so going with a third party is definitely a must. I had handcent originally. But between the clean emoji support for all my iphone friends and the vast amount of themes/tools, I say GO SMS. I also had to enable on GOSMS the split of over 160 characters or my friends see garbage also.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
There is a split in Handcent.. thanks I'm going to try this out and see if it fixes the hyroglyphic text messages. My wife's phone has been having this problem. I wasn't sure if it was the phone or Handcents app... glad I stumbled upon this.

bowmanm3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I started using GO SMS, and it did the same thing to me. Then I found the setting that splits messages. I came from an epic that split the messages automatically, so I figured the app would do it automatically...guess I was wrong! Thanks for the info everyone, it helped lead to me solving my problem.