Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cpolism
  • 1 Post By Cyber Warrior
  • 1 Post By bowmanm3
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Default Handcent Sending Gibberish?

Has anyone had any issues with Handcent sending gibberish instead of what you actually type? This has happened to me a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will type a message and send it. On my phone the message looks completely normal, but on the recipient's phone it looks like a bunch of random simples, numbers and letters that look nothing like the message. I love using Handcent, but I can't use it if its going to keep doing this. For now I have switched to GO SMS Pro, it works alright but isnt as visually appealing as Handcent.

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: Handcent Sending Gibberish?

Quote Originally Posted by bowmanm3 View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with Handcent sending gibberish instead of what you actually type? This has happened to me a few times in the last couple of weeks. I will type a message and send it. On my phone the message looks completely normal, but on the recipient's phone it looks like a bunch of random simples, numbers and letters that look nothing like the message. I love using Handcent, but I can't use it if its going to keep doing this. For now I have switched to GO SMS Pro, it works alright but isnt as visually appealing as Handcent.
    Yes I have had this problem. And I found out how...it's when I type over the allotted 160 characters. Say I type 200 characters, Handcent would normally split it up into two different messages, but it sends it now as one jumbled mess. I don't see it on my end, but I can see it on their end if their phone is right next to me.

I also just added Google Voice, so when I open my Google Voice text's folder, you see my message right there, and it's exactly the same as what's on the receivers end...numbers and symbols. So I was able to get proof it was doing it on my end and not the receivers end. I have ONLY run into the problem when I go over the 160 single text limit. Once I go over into 2 texts within one message, It messes up the text. If that makes any sense...
    Cyber Warrior likes this.

It's the 160 character limit like cpolism said, but i THINK there is a setting in handcent to split the messages. i dont use it but ive seen it mentioned as a fix on here before.

I would highly recommend GO SMS over Handcent on the Nexus S. The default text manager is a joke so going with a third party is definitely a must. I had handcent originally. But between the clean emoji support for all my iphone friends and the vast amount of themes/tools, I say GO SMS. I also had to enable on GOSMS the split of over 160 characters or my friends see garbage also.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

There is a split in Handcent.. thanks I'm going to try this out and see if it fixes the hyroglyphic text messages. My wife's phone has been having this problem. I wasn't sure if it was the phone or Handcents app... glad I stumbled upon this.
    chud likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I started using GO SMS, and it did the same thing to me. Then I found the setting that splits messages. I came from an epic that split the messages automatically, so I figured the app would do it automatically...guess I was wrong! Thanks for the info everyone, it helped lead to me solving my problem.
    chud likes this.