1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A Little Disappointed

Wow, I just saw where you can get the Nexus for 29.99.

I was drooling to get my hands on one when it first came out.
    I fully understand that you pay a premium to get a new device when it's first released.

And though my issues aren't that bad, I still feel a little cheated.
    But the price has dropped so quickly!

I really like my Nexus, but I honestly feel it has a lot more potential than what it's currently performing.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: A Little Disappointed

Yeah...trying not to worry about the $200 I spent. I've seen other devices in Sprint's lineup maintain their hefty price tag for months. Heck, I think even the original EVO is still $100.
    When my next upgrade rolls around, I may hold off for two or three months for a good price drop on my next device.

Wow that sucks!!!!!!!

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Wow, I just saw where you can get the Nexus for 29.99.

I was drooling to get my hands on one when it first came out.
    I fully understand that you pay a premium to get a new device when it's first released.

And though my issues aren't that bad, I still feel a little cheated.
    But the price has dropped so quickly!

I really like my Nexus, but I honestly feel it has a lot more potential than what it's currently performing.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    If you feel that it isnt living up to its potential, why not root your phone and go from there? I'm not sure why you would feel cheated considering you're getting a quality phone for 30 bucks....I like my nexus and am very happy with it. I don't mind that I spend 200 for it
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosrs View Post
    If you feel that it isnt living up to its potential, why not root your phone and go from there? I'm not sure why you would feel cheated considering you're getting a quality phone for 30 bucks....I like my nexus and am very happy with it. I don't mind that I spend 200 for it
    Just to be clear, I did buy early and paid full price. I can get over that.
    And you are correct. I shouldn't feel cheated.
    I just feel the phone has more potential and it's getting a bad rap.

I'm interested in rooting, but hesitant. I've never done that before. Will it help perfomance?
    Will it help when my wifi gets stuck and I have to toggle airplane mode?

How upset are you going to be when you realize this price drop probably means the next Nexus is around the corner?

I always knew there was a danger in getting off the T-Mobile cycle for the Nexus series. With the late May release, I feared an Oct/Nov release of the dual core Nexus more than the price drop.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    How upset are you going to be when you realize this price drop probably means the next Nexus is around the corner?.
    Nah, I always knew there was a danger of that. Besides, if I always waited for the next best thing then I'd never get a new phone.
    Besides, I like the size. I'm locked into Sprint (which is fine) with unlimited data. So I don't see switching carriers any time soon. But I know this phone can do more. These finicky issues are just a bother.

I've read here that some areas are seeing better coverage, which is great!
    Sure hope they get to Michigan soon.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Well, I think I'm going to jump on it. I'm taking my Photon back; not because it's not great...it is. But I think the Nexus will perform more than adequately for me; and at $170 less, I'll be happy. I don't need the latest and greatest anymore. This device is a downright steal at $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Besides, I like the size
    compared to what I'm hearing about Nexus Prime (4.5" !!), I'm quite happy with my 4" NS4G. It's the perfect size and as large as I'm willing to get for a phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    compared to what I'm hearing about Nexus Prime (4.5" !!), I'm quite happy with my 4" NS4G. It's the perfect size and as large as I'm willing to get for a phone.
    Agreed

ROM
    n/a for now

Quote Originally Posted by utamb79 View Post
    Well, I think I'm going to jump on it. I'm taking my Photon back; not because it's not great...it is. But I think the Nexus will perform more than adequately for me; and at $170 less, I'll be happy. I don't need the latest and greatest anymore. This device is a downright steal at $30.
    While I think the NS4G is better than both the Evo and Photon ( had the Evo for two weeks and the Nexus was faster, had twice as good battery life, the screen blew the Evo away, no Sense and the form factor fits me), making the decision based on upfront price is foolish when you are going to pay thousands of dollars through the life of the contract. IMO if you think the Photon is better enjoy it and maybe the more advanced specs will be meaningful some day (unfortunately there's not much software can do for that display)!

That's just the rumored screen size and won't determine the overall size of the phone.

Where is this phone on sale for $29 bucks? I just bought it last weekend for $100 dangit. Is that the upgrade price or the new user price?

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    That's just the rumored screen size and won't determine the overall size of the phone.
    Not entirely, but the NS4G is already pushing it in size for me and the side bezel is actually very slim, so width will undoubtedly have to increase to accommodate a 4.5" screen.

At the time I was in Sprint to get my phone, I had a choice of an EVO, an EVO Shift, an Epic or the Nexus. The first was too big (4.3") and almost a year old, the second and third were too thick because of the slide-out keyboards, and the Nexus was big compared to the Pixi I had...but I felt I could make that size work.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

At the time I was in Sprint to get my phone, I had a choice of an EVO, an EVO Shift, an Epic or the Nexus. The first was too big (4.3") and almost a year old, the second and third were too thick because of the slide-out keyboards
    Same here, I had every intention of picking between the EVO and Epic. And I didn't even know the Nexus had come out. As soon as I picked up the Nexus and compared it to the EVO I knew it was what I wanted on just how it felt in my hand. Then there's the case for having an Android phone with no bloatware.
    And the curve is just cool. (i know, kinda silly)

I really hope they can work out the coverage and wifi antenna issues. I'm concerned that once the new Nexus comes out that they'll not worry about continuing to fine tune the Nexus S.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenstebo View Post
    Where is this phone on sale for $29 bucks? I just bought it last weekend for $100 dangit. Is that the upgrade price or the new user price?
    Sprint online.

It was also free with a 2/yr contract at Best Buy (might still be). It applied to both qualified upgrades and new customers.

Sprint online.

It was also free with a 2/yr contract at Best Buy (might still be). It applied to both qualified upgrades and new customers.
    Best Buy site still has it for FREE with new 2-year agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by d14racer24 View Post
    Best Buy site still has it for FREE with new 2-year agreement.
    I double checked with Best Buy today - the free phone is for new customers only. Upgrades are still $99 bucks. They had no idea what I was talking about with the $30 price point and said that it had never sold for that amount - it had been down to $49 for new customers/$149 for existing with an upgrade... but it dropped to $0/$99 a couple of weeks ago. If I can get a link of somewhere that is selling an UPGRADE for less than $99, they will match it and refund me. If someone has the place that is doing it for this price for UPGRADE customers, I would appreciate it. I have been out of contract for well over a year - bought my EVO from someone on Craig's List so I not only had a full upgrade available - I had the ability to walk away. I was completely out of contract, not just phone eligible. I asked the Best Buy how I would get the phone for free and the only way I could have done that was to add a line and get the phone for free. Then simply cancel my current primary phone. It wasn't worth it for me to save a hundred bucks and lose my phone number of 14 years. I would have had to change numbers and they could not answer if it would protect my 10+ years Sprint customer standing. I also could not port my current Sprint number to the same Sprint account without having it inactive for 2-3 months.

Sprint online.

That is for new customers only... at least that is how I read it.

I just got off the phone with Best Buy - they have a Free Phone Wednesday that runs from time to time - where upgrade and new customers are BOTH eligible for the free phone. This last Wednesday was a Free Phone Wednesday - it was a one day sale that ran in the ads and expired when they closed their doors that night. I bought my phone on Sunday and asked if they would price match from that one day and the girl said it would be up to the manager on duty. I might have to go up there and chew someone out this weekend. It pisses me off that I paid $100 bucks for something that was free three days later. For those of you wanting a great deal on this phone, don't get me wrong - $99 bucks is STILL a great deal. And Best Buy will buy your old phone from you. Now that I really think about it - I don't even know how they would give me a credit because I used the gift card that I got when I traded in the EVO. I am going to try though... 100 bucks is a 100 bucks anyway you think about it.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenstebo View Post
    I just got off the phone with Best Buy - they have a Free Phone Wednesday that runs from time to time - where upgrade and new customers are BOTH eligible for the free phone. This last Wednesday was a Free Phone Wednesday - it was a one day sale that ran in the ads and expired when they closed their doors that night. I bought my phone on Sunday and asked if they would price match from that one day and the girl said it would be up to the manager on duty. I might have to go up there and chew someone out this weekend. It pisses me off that I paid $100 bucks for something that was free three days later. For those of you wanting a great deal on this phone, don't get me wrong - $99 bucks is STILL a great deal. And Best Buy will buy your old phone from you. Now that I really think about it - I don't even know how they would give me a credit because I used the gift card that I got when I traded in the EVO. I am going to try though... 100 bucks is a 100 bucks anyway you think about it.
    Go for it. Sounds like a great deal. My daughter is getting ready to go to college and is ready for an upgrade. I'm thinking about getting her in on a deal at Best Buy. She's had a chance to use my phone and really likes it. She also informed me that the signal strength is on par with her samsung transform.
    I know I started this post, but over the weekend I realized I really do like the phone. I have only one real issue with the device. The wifi.

I leave it turned off most the time so it won't chew up battery hunting. When I do turn it on, all my indicators go white and it "hangs" so to speak with the connections.
    Toggle airplane mode usually frees it up.