Advice on leaving Sprint

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for some quasi-legal advice, so I'm working under the assumption that there is a tacit IANAL attached to any responses. Here's the story.

I've been a Sprint customer for over a decade, and gave up my launch Pre for the NS4G. It has had serious connection issues since I got it, even after Sprint gave me an Airrave and a new phone. However, the connection problems haven't stopped at all, haven't even slowed down, really. I've started tracking them, and just in voice communications I'm dropping signal on almost 30% of my calls, even if I'm sitting four feet from the Airrave. It's become bad enough that my friends and clients have largely stopped trying to reach me by voice.

To make matters worse, in a week I'm moving to an area notorious for its poor Sprint coverage.

Given all of that, what are your suggestions? Should I swap it for another NS4G and hope I get one which works this time? Do I try to convince them to let me trade it for something else? If I ditch Sprint, what are my odds of getting out of this two-year agreement without getting attorneys involved?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Were you out of contract when you got the NS4G?

If you're dropping calls 4 feet from an airrave, something is definitely wrong. The phone, the airrave or your internet connection.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Should I swap it for another NS4G and hope I get one which works this time?

Yes. Best first option.

Do I try to convince them to let me trade it for something else?

If the swap above fails, yes. Definitely. The warranty will provide replacements...and I'm sure there's some sort of "lemon law" if multiple swaps don't help.

If I ditch Sprint, what are my odds of getting out of this two-year agreement without getting attorneys involved?

Anyone can drop them at any time...but there's that pesky Early Termination Fee. That particular matter has been settled in class action suits...so I doubt there's any recourse if you're determined to change carriers. A contract is a contract and I'll bet there's language in your agreement stating there is no guarantee of quality of service. That's why they have the 30 day trial periods and exchange options.

Reactions: mkhall

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Sprint store told me to get stuffed because it's been over 30 days since I got it, and "bad radio/dropped calls" isn't good enough to warrant a replacement.

I was out of contract on this line when I got the NS4G, but signed on again to get my $150 discount.

My internet connection is good, and since I don't have it locked down, other friends with Sprint have used the Airrave without a problem, so I don't think that's it. I'm hoping it's just the specific piece of hardware.

Unfortunately, I'm in Florida, where the corporation is always right. I doubt if any lemon laws exist for this.

And I expected that the ETF is unavoidable. If I can get a call to last long enough to speak with customer service they get the last shot. Otherwise I'll swallow the change, dump Sprint, and see if any other carriers stand behind their product.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Sprint store told me to get stuffed because it's been over 30 days since I got it, and "bad radio/dropped calls" isn't good enough to warrant a replacement.

I was out of contract on this line when I got the NS4G, but signed on again to get my $150 discount.

My internet connection is good, and since I don't have it locked down, other friends with Sprint have used the Airrave without a problem, so I don't think that's it. I'm hoping it's just the specific piece of hardware.

Unfortunately, I'm in Florida, where the corporation is always right. I doubt if any lemon laws exist for this.

And I expected that the ETF is unavoidable. If I can get a call to last long enough to speak with customer service they get the last shot. Otherwise I'll swallow the change, dump Sprint, and see if any other carriers stand behind their product.

Just make sure you speak with someone at retention...Sprint has hemorrhaged enough customers over the years. They don't want to lose you if they don't have to.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If it was mission critical to keep in touch with my "clients", I sure wouldn't be pinching pennies worrying about service.

If your Pre didn't have the same or similar issues, then it's either the particular phone you have or Sprint is doing some work in the area.

ASSUMING your Airave is setup correctly, you shouldn't be having any problems while connected to it. It's not perfect but it's great.

Two busted phones in a row though is time to go play the lottery odds.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just went threw a similar issue with device problems. I know from dealing with Sprint over the last 2 weeks and numerous customer service personal and calls that unless you find a Sprint store and rep willing on their behalf to replace your device with a new model you will only be presented with a refurb of the NS4G.

I did find out that after 3 bad refurbs/defective devices you are granted the opportunity to switch devices within "value" of your current device free of charge and no hit on your upgrade period. I'm currently falling under this "option" and I'm switching from my Epic 4g after 3 bad replacements to the Nexus S 4G. My upgrade comes in October so I will ride it out, see how it goes and maybe jump to the SGSII (Epic Touch) when my upgrade comes up.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with someone at retention, finally. It took almost an hour, but the best they would offer was a refurb, and that was grudging. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work.

Incidentally, they tried to convince me to keep the phone I have until I move, in hopes that the service would be better there. I asked if as a representative of Sprint they were will to state in writing that they guaranteed I wouldn't have service issues while I am driving 1,100 miles to my new home, since I would be relying on that phone for emergency contact. They declined, and offered the refurb, instead.

As to switching out within the value range, I asked about that, but since the price of the NS4G is now $50, I would have to switch to another $50 phone.

My Airave is set up correctly, as other Sprint devices connect and use it without a problem. My Internet connection isn't a problem, either, as I monitor it for breaks. Given those facts, and that the phone has the same connection problems outside of my house, in environments where other Sprint users aren't having any problems at all, it would seem to be either the hardware or the software. Since many of you have had no problems, that limits the likelihood of it being the software. That leaves the hardware as the probable culprit, with the unreliability of the problem due to variations in manufacturing and/or component sourcing.

They did check for tower work, but there hasn't been any done in North Miami since January.

Thanks, everyone, for your insight and suggestions.

PS: I may well buy a lottery ticket; lightning does have a tendency to strike twice around me. And my programmers used to hate it when I QA-tested their code, because I have a knack for finding flaws in technology and software. (One used to call it my superpower, which is a piss-poor power to get stuck with, if you ask me).

Oh, and I have to pinch pennies even when I'm dealing with clients. Even though they aren't clients who pay me, it is critical that they be able to contact me.

arisenfury

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Sell the phone on eBay or Craigslist and use the money to buy out of your contract. Sprint still has the old Early Termination Fee pricing so it shouldn't be more than $150-200 depending on how long it's been since you signed it.

jtexans

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Go to the site that has some really "slick" ways of doing things to save money. Great "deals" too. Just search "Sprint" and it'll show you how to do it.

:)

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing you have the same issues i and others in my area have had with the nexus s. I would mis calls all the time in areas other sprint phones work perfectly. I had my phone replaced and it did not chang a thing. My wifes nexus had the same issues in the same areas as did others i know with the nexus s. I had the exact same signal issues before and after the 2.3.5 update. My data speeds were about a third of other devices in these same areas yet in other areas my data would be about the same maybe just a bit slower. I finally gave up on the nexus and got a photon. It was the best decision i could have made! The photons radios are way way better! As a matter of fact i get better signal (data speed and call quality) than any of my friends now on sprint. I think the nexus has issues with some of sprints towers. Not all but some and if you frequent these areas you will have issues. I loved my nexus when it was in an area that had compatible towers. I loved the screen and ui. I didn't care too much for the weak speaker volume but i could have lived with it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

god_trentonj

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion is contacting dan@sprint.com. It is pretty much an automatic line to Customer care (ie retentions). I did this and they helped me exchange THREE Nexus phones. Two had the signal issue, the third had a screen distortion. My fourth, so far, is running right. Good luck. I hate the frustrations that come with phones that don't work.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I received my refurb today and so far (knock wood) I haven't had a dropped or missed call. We'll have to see how it goes, and I'll update again once it's been a while.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol