Google Voice problems

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Help!
Integrated GV w/sprint. Also use Handcent. Everything (text/vm) is going thru GV. I would like to use Handcent for text. Need a vm that i can easily "see" which msg i want to hear (my htc hero was great w/this), that also has text conversion that I DON'T have to "dial" into (like youmail?) every time i want to check my vm. This all seems ridiculously complex - the htc hero just had it all built in! Love the NS4G, but could really use some help here.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey man. I think you may have set Google voice as default by accident. This will take a few steps to fix. But follow close and it will work
From home screen.
Tap the menu button
Choose manage apps.
Click the tab for "all"
Find Google voice and tap it.
Locate the gray box that says "clear defaults". Tap it.
Exit

Open handcent
tap the menu key.
Find the notification option and make sure notification is on.
Exit.

Open stock messaging
Tap the menu key
Find notifications and make sure they are off.
Exit

Open Google voice app.
Tap the menu key.
Make sure the box next to inbox notification is unchecked.
Make sure inbox sync is unchecked
Find the box next to "text message notification" and make sure it is checked.
Exit

Now go to contactsand choose one at random, tap on their icon and tap the messaging option. A window will open asking you what to use. Check the "always use this" or whatever and choose handcent.
Anytime, if ever, you get that window asking which to use, check the always use this box and choose handcent.

That gets the Google voice out of notifications and defaults. If you open the Google voice app though it will update with your latest voicemails. So you can still see/listen to them like vvm.
See if that works and get back with me tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: nmoreman

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
NOMster! Thank God you are EVERYWHERE! I am on so many different android sites, that I have lost track! I will try and do as you have told me - I promise that the grasshopper will STILL attempt to understand how you keep the stone in your hand!!

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
did as you said - one problem is that txt msg. notification will NOT allow me to check it (it is "white" while all the other things are "gray", and it says updating, but when it is done there is no check. confused on that part only! thanks again!

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
did as you said - one problem is that txt msg. notification will NOT allow me to check it (it is "white" while all the other things are "gray", and it says updating, but when it is done there is no check. confused on that part only! thanks again!

Go to google voice on your PC. In the upper right you'll see your number. Click it.
Under your phone there is an edit button. Click it
Make sure you have the box checked for "receive text messages on this phone". Click on the voicemail tab. Make sure that you only have the option to get a text for new voicemails turned on.

Sign out of Google voice on your phone, then sign back in. Go into settings and again turn off inbox sync, turn on receive texts (if its not already checked.) Lmk how it goes.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Also I read that you'd disabled the integration. That could help a little if that's the case. Then in the setting menu make sure you have Google voice set to "do not use to make any calls"

porthos7

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
NOMster - this may sound crazy, but now when I go into the gv settings, i only see options for "billing" & "account" - there is nothing else in the menu

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
On the PC? Don't go into "Google voice settings"

Just click on the phone number in the upper right corner. Do u see that?

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So on your Google voice home screen on the PC, can u get a screen shot. Block out your info and post it.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
NOMster,
You have given the best explanation on how to use GoogleVoice I have read. I used the above and I "think" I have it working perfectly. I have tried before and something always screws up - no calls, no texts, 3 texts, etc. - hahah

Anyway, if you are following this, I only have one more question - when my phone rings, now I have to push a button to accept or send to voicemail, its announcing the caller.

Is there anyway to get this turned off? I have looked and looked, can't find anything, so since I haven't had it working right in the past, don't know if this is the way it is.

I pushed the Thanks button for all of this

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Update - I think I figured it out.

This requirement to hit 1 or 2 is called "call presentation", I finally found it on the GoogleVoicemail site.

It is so wierd, I have one screen of my account up, there is no tab named "calls"

I kept searching, hitting things, reading help forums, and opened another screen somehow, now that tab is there. If you select "call screening off", I can answer direct.

So for now, it looks like its setup the way it should be for a mobile phone - wow - this has been a pain in the ass for something that should be simple. But voicemail comes as text to phone. Phone can be answered with one button. Text messages are working. No double notifictions.

This has only taken the third time, part of yesterday, most of today, to get this working. Wish there was a simple app like Visual Voicemail!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax