Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

Default Visual Voicemail MAY be a reality for us soon!

When watching the hands on video for the new samsung galaxy s 2 epic touch video on phonedog, he was scrolling through the phone and showed/voice acknowledged the visual voicemail app on this phone,

i believe its at gingerbread 2.3.4.

so this is GREAT news for us nexus members who thought that we were left out cold with the visual voicemail not being developed anymore for gingerbread since the sprint/gvoice thing...

so all we need now is a system dump so we can pull that voicemail apk!!

what does everyone thinK about this?
    If you think i helped you, please click the Thanks button on the right

Default Re: Visual Voicemail MAY be a reality for us soon!

I use Google Voice.

is this the phone that is supposed to be the successor to the nexus s?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

i just rather not have to go through the whole GV setup, i like it how it was, a vm app that was there, then we could have either option GV or use the stock vm on the phone itself.

this is not the successor, the only successor to the nexus is another nexus, its just the only other phone available coming with a build os close to the nexus that has visual voicemail built in.
    we need to rip that apk and try it out.

Global Posts
    1,014 Global Posts
    ROM
    oICSv36

Sounds good to me

Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Sounds good to me
    Google Voice for ANY android device for me. Its easy free and awfully useful too!

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    Google Voice for ANY android device for me. Its easy free and awfully useful too!
    Beware of Google Voice Sprint integration though I was continually missing calls because of it. GV sends them to voicemail before the phone rings or after 1 ring. It was almost 50% of the calls I could not get before they went to VM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by dparisoe View Post
    Beware of Google Voice Sprint integration though I was continually missing calls because of it. GV sends them to voicemail before the phone rings or after 1 ring. It was almost 50% of the calls I could not get before they went to VM.
    exactly,
    its not worth the hassle,

so as soon as a dump or ruu/whatever comes out im ripping that VV apk and testing!

lol
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

ditto, it takes over your phone. I'm canceling mine.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by intheb0x View Post
    When watching the hands on video for the new samsung galaxy s 2 epic touch video on phonedog, he was scrolling through the phone and showed/voice acknowledged the visual voicemail app on this phone,

i believe its at gingerbread 2.3.4.

so this is GREAT news for us nexus members who thought that we were left out cold with the visual voicemail not being developed anymore for gingerbread since the sprint/gvoice thing...

so all we need now is a system dump so we can pull that voicemail apk!!

what does everyone thinK about this?
    That is either the Sprint VVM application or Samsungs native Touchwiz VVM. Both of which will not work on the Nexus S 4G. Those apps will not come or be offered to the Nexus S. Samsung also does not handle updates for the Nexus S. Google does
    Last edited by splmonster; 09-01-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    That is either the Sprint VVM application or Samsungs native Touchwiz VVM. Both of which will not work on the Nexus S 4G. Those apps will not come or be offered to the Nexus S. Samsung also does not handle updates for the Nexus S. Google does
    Do you know this as a "fact" or "just guessing"?

Yes Google handles updates for the Nexus line BUT nothing is stopping the user from installing an app via it's .apk

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    It is the Sprint VVM app. The Photon 4G has the same logo for it's VVM app.

You can use GV for VVM purposes only. No calls (inbound/outbound), no texts (inbound/outbound), no nothing except for visual voicemail. *28 conditional call forwarding is a beautiful thing.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    crzycrkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    You can use GV for VVM purposes only. No calls (inbound/outbound), no texts (inbound/outbound), no nothing except for visual voicemail. *28 conditional call forwarding is a beautiful thing.
    Can u explain how because everytime I go to google voice it keeps bringing my texts in and its verry annoying thanks in advance
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boobie1292 View Post
    Can u explain how because everytime I go to google voice it keeps bringing my texts in and its verry annoying thanks in advance
    You skip integration. (Or disable it now if you have it and don't want it). Otherwise your SMS will be there.

Glad to see they updated the app so you can disable SMS notifications and use the regular app and still get VM notifications. (Which is good since I re-enabled GV+S since there is no service at work for the time being!)

And I'm missing calls with it again. Not forwarding. Disable. Not worth it. So good.... until you integrate Sprint. Still works perfect for VVM though.
    Last edited by BlackHawkA4; 09-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Edit nvm got it
    Last edited by boobie1292; 09-01-2011 at 06:27 PM.

I have a feeling that most people have no clue that GV can, and is designed to, do VVM only. If someone wants to write some instructions on how to do it, which should include instructions for those who have already integrated and those that haven't, PM me you're instructions and I'll vet the information then sticky it.

I've been using GV for VVM only for many months and will never switch back to a carrier solution. I suspect others will feel the same after seeing what can be done. As long as your carrier offers conditional call forwarding, which sprint does, you get VVM with message transcription free and easy courtesy of GV.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    crzycrkr likes this.

ROM
    stock

whats the *28 feature?

I have a feeling that most people have no clue that GV can, and is designed to, do VVM only. If someone wants to write some instructions on how to do it, which should include instructions for those who have already integrated and those that haven't, PM me you're instructions and I'll vet the information then sticky it.

I've been using GV for VVM only for many months and will never switch back to a carrier solution. I suspect others will feel the same after seeing what can be done. As long as your carrier offers conditional call forwarding, which sprint does, you get VVM with message transcription free and easy courtesy of GV.
    I agree with you 100 percent. Google voice has been awesome for me.

Is there a way to do vvm with google voice with call screening and without text messaging?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

i really jumped the gun with this,
    i loaded this vvm apk on my phone and while i did get it to provision, none of my voice mails would come through.

only things that would work were voice mail messages i would record and send to myself.

so who ever posted here about the nexus not being in the system as being a phone thats allowed to vvm, they were right.

its not app related, its system related.
    something the system does.

i personally think it would be a advertising point for sprint with the newest nexus that comes out to get it, by advertising how our nexus gets vvm while other carriers dont with the nexus or similar.

while vvm started as a apple thing and now everyone has it, it is a missed feature for me and since hearing the issues with GV, im not even messing with it.

so mark this thread as dead, because ive done everything to get vvm to work and it just never will.
    i read it works in CM7 but find that hard to believe since its carrier related.

so who ever posted here about the nexus not being in the system as being a phone thats allowed to vvm, they were right.
    Yeah, I posted this over at XDA, but I was pretty sure I heard that directly from Sprint. Bummer, though you can set Google Voice to do the same...

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    I don't believe the issue is only the lack of a GB app.

If I remember correctly, the Nexus series has the voicemail routed through a different server than the typical Sprint VM server, which is required for Sprint's visual voicemail to work. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but I have a pretty good recollection of Sprint saying visual VM would not be on the Nexus.
    Last edited by vansmack; 09-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'd be nice if someone would show how to setup Google VVM. I get texts, emails and broken english translation for each vm I get...the options menu in the app looks super sparse...I don't see how to shut the extra notifications off...

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

i loaded this vvm apk on my phone and while i did get it to provision, none of my voice mails would come through.

only things that would work were voice mail messages i would record and send to myself.

its not app related, its system related.
    something the system does.

i personally think it would be a advertising point for sprint with the newest nexus that comes out to get it, by advertising how our nexus gets vvm while other carriers dont with the nexus or similar.

while vvm started as a apple thing and now everyone has it, it is a missed feature for me and since hearing the issues with GV, im not even messing with it.

so mark this thread as dead, because ive done everything to get vvm to work and it just never will.
    i read it works in CM7 but find that hard to believe since its carrier related.
    Like other people have said, you don't have to do the Sprint integration. When you install and open the GV app, it ask if you want to do the integration and all you have to do is press skip.

Then you can always try the app called Youmail. It's good, but GV is far superior. Yeah, GV translations may suck for some people (for me, they're perfect), but Youmail makes you pay for those same translations.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I'd be nice if someone would show how to setup Google VVM. I get texts, emails and broken english translation for each vm I get...the options menu in the app looks super sparse...I don't see how to shut the extra notifications off...
    I think I had the same problem before, the stock messaging app and GV are both notifying you of texts? Just turn off notifications for the stock messaging app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast