Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phone turning into a POS?

    I've had my nexus s since it came out, it seems since the last update is when my problems have been occuring.

    I have caught the phone restarting it's self, sometimes it just freaks out by it's self like I'm hitting random buttons nonstop.. it does that until I shut off the screen.

    The biggest issue is I will get phone calls from other people and it won't even ring or show I have a missed call. This issue already caused me to miss out on a few things. The other big issue seems to be the service sucks now. I get no service what so ever in class now. And my battery is dying way faster.

    O yea no more hotspot... wtf?

    Should I just root the phone or go into to Best Buy and get a new one?
  2. #2  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    I've had my nexus s since it came out, it seems since the last update is when my problems have been occuring.

    I have caught the phone restarting it's self, sometimes it just freaks out by it's self like I'm hitting random buttons nonstop.. it does that until I shut off the screen.

    The biggest issue is I will get phone calls from other people and it won't even ring or show I have a missed call. This issue already caused me to miss out on a few things. The other big issue seems to be the service sucks now. I get no service what so ever in class now. And my battery is dying way faster.

    O yea no more hotspot... wtf?

    Should I just root the phone or go into to Best Buy and get a new one?
    I would HIGHLY recommend to root your phone and install OXygen Rom, give that a try first and then if not happy simply unroot and get a new one, but I noticed a HUGE difference with mine! It wont hurt and it takes 5 minutes
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Any link to guide you followed to install it?
  4. #4  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Any link to guide you followed to install it?
    What do you have PC or Mac?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Both, I told my girlfriend to bring over her PC just now though lol.
  6. #6  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Both, I told my girlfriend to bring over her PC just now though lol.
    Well i did mine on my mac and it was easy as heck, although you can do it on a PC as well here is what I used...

    [GUIDE] Root 2.3.3 On a Mac WITH OEM Unlock! - xda-developers

    Although just a heads up I would recommend to do #10 first as in put that file in your phones SD Card first ( the Nexus in this case)

    After that simply follow the steps and take your time, if you dont know how to get to terminal, simply search for it with the magnifying glass top right on your Mac.

    Most of it is copy and paste, and then having to use your phones volume and power buttons.

    Hope this helps!
  7. #7  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Both, I told my girlfriend to bring over her PC just now though lol.
    Have you ever rooted? Before ( any device)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    No, I just tried a one click I googled (didn't see your post yet), and everything went good. Then I downloaded root checker and it says I'm not rooted.
  9. #9  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    No, I just tried a one click I googled (didn't see your post yet), and everything went good. Then I downloaded root checker and it says I'm not rooted.
    Yeah try it the right way, that way wont work. You can PM me I'll be online most of the day until 5 with questions.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    The right way?
  11. #11  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    The right way?
    Yeah the way I told you to, use the guide its easy. Like i said its simply copy and paste.

    Dont stress about it or over think it, its really simple it just takes patience and close attention, besides its not like its a 20 step thing LoL .
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Ok I got it working and I am in Rom Manager, now how do I load my rom?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Cancel that, I got it working I believe.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Now just need google apps.
  15. #15  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    Cancel that, I got it working I believe.
    You will know if you have the app called Superuser on your app drawer its a grey icon...check if so you're good to go. Also dont download the Rom from the Rom Manager get it from the rom list here on the forums for the NX4G...here it is..

    Oxygen Downloads

    Once its fully downlaoded in your phone, turn your phone off, press volume up and the power at the same time, use the volume buttons to go up and down and the power button to choose.

    Go to recovery, then wipe all data/factory reset. Then wipe all cache, then choose install zip from SD card, then choose the downlaod that you downlaoded. it might be in the download folder. install it, then choose "go back" until you see the reboot device or system at the top and choose that... Done!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    I've been reading about CM7 in the past a lot lately, so I flashed that one, but everything is all go! Your the man!
  17. #17  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by the727kid View Post
    I've been reading about CM7 in the past a lot lately, so I flashed that one, but everything is all go! Your the man!
    I came from CM7 and found that is used more battery, plus CM7 is based on 2.3.4 and not 2.3.5 unless you get the nightlies, or flash the radio over. I chose Oxygen because it offers some features that CM7 has with better battery life and its based on the new 2.3.5.

    But its always good to try different Roms until you get the right one for you!
  18. #18  
    dparisoe's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    I personally like GPA17, its a great rom based on the AOSP, very stripped down with some performance tweaks. Peter Alfonso
  19. #19  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by dparisoe View Post
    I personally like GPA17, its a great rom based on the AOSP, very stripped down with some performance tweaks. Peter Alfonso
    I agree, although the difference between GPA17 and Oxygen is that with Oxygen you get the widget drop down bar ( which is a MUST for me). Other than that they are identical.

    I have Oxygen @ 800mhz just as i did when I had GPA17
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    I love everything about my Nexus except the browser lag. It takes forever for a page to finish loading. Sprint says there is nothing wrong with the phone (surprise, surprise). When I saw a shootout of browser speeds between this, Aphone and blackberry I was shocked at how fast that Nexus finished rendering.

    Will Oxygen ROM solve this. If so, I'm all in and will root.
  21. #21  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
    I love everything about my Nexus except the browser lag. It takes forever for a page to finish loading. Sprint says there is nothing wrong with the phone (surprise, surprise). When I saw a shootout of browser speeds between this, Aphone and blackberry I was shocked at how fast that Nexus finished rendering.

    Will Oxygen ROM solve this. If so, I'm all in and will root.
    Not really unless you overclock it ( which then uses more battery) I would HIGHLY suggest rooting it and then installing Opera Browser or Dolphin HD. Hope this helps, but honestly once you root its VERY hard to go back to stock, due to the power and freedom that it brings.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Thanks, Jesse.

    Had an Evo I rooted. Last question - best PC root method?
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
    Thanks, Jesse.

    Had an Evo I rooted. Last question - best PC root method?
    There's a sticky on how to root which workedthe best for me
  24. #24  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default Re: Phone turning into a POS?

    Quote Originally Posted by boobie1292 View Post
    There's a sticky on how to root which workedthe best for me
    Same here, its really easy.

Posting Permissions