EVO 4G to Nexus S 4G...dropping in to say hi.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I had a EVO 4G, I was eligable for an upgrade, but I didn't want to blow my upgrade on the Photon (yukky screen) or the EVO3D and I have no desire for the SGSIIE4GT tablet...er phone :confused:.

I decided to go with the Nexus S 4G. Out of pocket cost was ~$50. I now have a phone with 12 month warranty, a new device to play with and am still upgrade eligible :cool:.

I've primarily been on androidforums.com, but their NS4G forum is pretty dead, this place looks a bit busier. :-*

Any tips on my first "non-sense" Android?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^nice. Already looking into what ROMs are available. Oxygen seems to be popular. I tried CM7 with my EVO and wasn't all that impressed...the guy at the Sprint store suggested something by "Pete" something or other...

I found the 'workaround' thread, its a bit annoying to discover all these features my EVO had I have to root and install apps to make it work the same (Visual VM, FB sync, BLN, etc)

My EVO had Sense 3. 2 features I absolutely LOVED: 1) Ability to unlock directly into an app of your choice. 2) A 'quick settings' tab on the notification pull down.

I've only played with my phone for a total of 2 hours, so I'm very new to this device.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
That Pete would be Pete Alfonso. He does good work and even made a hack to bring the free native tethering back after the latest 2.3.5 update. Really cool that he got some recognition from the guy at Sprint.

If you're comfortable rooting and you plan on doing it, I would just jump right in before you load your phone up and set it the way you like it. There is a one-click method that is absolutely fantastic and for the most part drama free when using it.

And like you said, there are some things "missing" on stock Android. I couldn't care less but I know it's important to some people. I prefer the barebones experience that runs well. But yeah, if you need those things, I'd just go ahead and get the rooting out of the way as soon as possible.

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome , you'll love this phone I came from the 3d also and love the size of the nexus and pure google experience to me is the best. I Just put on peters rom last nught battery life is amazing on this I recommend flashing it then flashing the status bar widget fix for this rom in xda theme and apps section for the nexus. That is so you won't miss the quick settings from the 3d

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Also using petes rom and love it.
its doesnt look like much but it flies and i have it underclocked to 800mhz for crazy battery life..

while i had the evo, epic, optimus myself, this nexus is much better then them all.
i recommend you also download (after rooting)
Voo doo color and adjust these settings so your screen pops 50x more for a wow factor u have to see to believe!
after your comment about the photon, i think your like me about the screen, so try these out!

in screen color multi use these settings

Red = 2300875360
Green = 2300875360
Blue = 2709919680

Gamma Hack
red = -50
green = -53
blue= -44

trust me, the screen will amaze you after those settings.

how are u still upgrade eligible? you mean the 30 day return period?

best buy has these guys for free, i paid 30 at my sprint store and broke my old phone, so i went with the nexus, im very happy with my decision so far.

Reactions: Dreamliner330

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did the 'one-click-root' from Shabbypenguin, I had to do it 3 times because I kept hitting the power button instead of volume down (former EVO owners will understand).

...flashing GPA17 now. Voodoo & FLAC support is what did it for me. :)

how are u still upgrade eligible? you mean the 30 day return period?
I bought the NS4G on Craigslist, brand new (with stickers still), called Sprint to confirm. ZERO device usage and the warranty started 10 days before I bought it (stays with the phone for 12 months).

:cool:

Last edited:

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, I did the 'one-click-root' from Shabbypenguin, I had to do it 3 times because I kept hitting the power button instead of volume down (former EVO owners will understand).

...flashing GPA17 now. Voodoo & FLAC support is what did it for me. :)

I bought the NS4G on Craigslist, brand new (with stickers still), called Sprint to confirm. ZERO device usage and the warranty started 10 days before I bought it (stays with the phone for 12 months).

:cool:

nice, well worth 50!
let me know what u think of my voodoo settings above :)

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^I like the settings you suggested better than stock, thats for sure. Is it worth buying the paid version for any enhanced features? I have no issues paying for apps, over my life time I've probably only spent $50 on apps, so, its no big deal to me if it means better functionality, features and support.

I do like AMOLED better than when I first saw it, but my opinion still remains the same: LCD's provide a crisper picture. Yes, AMOLED has better color (and OMG black levels), but I can see the pixels easily.

Single pixel white lines (like the ones in the youtube app) look like dotted lines. I still think the iP4 has the best screen I've seen.

I still have barely touched my phone, I gotta get some customization apps going (notification menu settings, button led notification, etc)

Is there any way to increase the power of the radios in this sucker? They seem to be noticably weaker than the EVO and that was one of my frustrations with that phone...:'(

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
^I like the settings you suggested better than stock, thats for sure. Is it worth buying the paid version for any enhanced features? I have no issues paying for apps, over my life time I've probably only spent $50 on apps, so, its no big deal to me if it means better functionality, features and support.

I do like AMOLED better than when I first saw it, but my opinion still remains the same: LCD's provide a crisper picture. Yes, AMOLED has better color (and OMG black levels), but I can see the pixels easily.

Single pixel white lines (like the ones in the youtube app) look like dotted lines. I still think the iP4 has the best screen I've seen.

I still have barely touched my phone, I gotta get some customization apps going (notification menu settings, button led notification, etc)

Is there any way to increase the power of the radios in this sucker? They seem to be noticably weaker than the EVO and that was one of my frustrations with that phone...:'(

heres a link to a screen settings thread from XDA
VOODOO colors - "best settings is here" - xda-developers
i cant see any pixels on mine?
edit- i see what u mean, but thats hardly noticeable, is it really that big of a issue?
im sure u can mess with voodoo and maybe fix that up?

i use BLN pro, so my buttons on the bottom i got customized to blink a certain way when i get a message,email, missed call or whatever.

as for the radio, we all feel your pain, hopefully the next update helps the issue.
otherwise u could always call sprint and compain to get a airave.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
i cant see any pixels on mine?
edit- i see what u mean, but thats hardly noticeable, is it really that big of a issue?
It's SUPER noticeable when coming from a LCD phone.

Is it that big of a deal? Well, depends how you look at it. I can use my phone without a problem, I think the black levels are amazing and the color really pops. But why was the 'screen door' effect not fixed when the AMOLED panel was developed?

Its almost as if they said "Black Level, Vibrant Color, No Screen Door. Pick two" :p

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
That Pete would be Pete Alfonso. He does good work and even made a hack to bring the free native tethering back after the latest 2.3.5 update. Really cool that he got some recognition from the guy at Sprint.

If you're comfortable rooting and you plan on doing it, I would just jump right in before you load your phone up and set it the way you like it. There is a one-click method that is absolutely fantastic and for the most part drama free when using it.

And like you said, there are some things "missing" on stock Android. I couldn't care less but I know it's important to some people. I prefer the barebones experience that runs well. But yeah, if you need those things, I'd just go ahead and get the rooting out of the way as soon as possible.

Where and how might one find this hack and does it allow for 4G tethering???
I have wireless tether but would love and prefer the native tether!!!

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
^Where is the 4G tether, can I download 'wireless tether' for it?

I had free 4G tethering on my rooted EVO.
Yeah Wireless Tether works great for 4G and lots of people use it.

The thing with the native tethering function that is fixed with Pete's hack though is it uses.....I always get them mixed up....infrastructure so you can tether every device to it. The Wireless Tether app and others use Ad-hoc and not everything can connect to it like some tablets. Bottom line is it's nice to have both.

buttchip

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered a Nexus and will pick it up from the sprint store tomorrow. I am coming from a palm pre. I did try the evo for 30 days and turned it back in. The camera / camcorder app was not good enough. Does the cam on the Nexus seem pretty good. This is a great thread and I plan on rooting right away and using the settings and other ideas givin here.