my thoughts

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so im just writing this for people who are still considering switching to the nexus even though its "old" in the tech world and because i love this phone lol. Ive had the evo, evo shift, and evo 3d, and the htc arrive in the past year. And i finally ended up with my nexus over a week ago. Best choice ive made regarding phones.. First off i love the screen size and colors. The plastic material is something i can live without but i dont mind because this feels great in your hand. Now on to software. I always thought htc sense was the best looking software and i wouldnt wnt anything else. but after using this man does this thing fly. As of now i have it underclocked to 800, and loving it. Battery life on this thing is great for me compared to other phones i had. Got through 10 hours today and im a heavy user. Lots of texting and web browsing. the pure gingerbread is great imo. I was all ready to get away from android hence the arrive, but after needing a bigger screen and no physical keyboard i decided to try the nexus. This phone changed my mind on android. So if you thinking of getting a nexus do it. This thing is amazing i know my next phone will be a nexus, pure aosp has got me hooked.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I like then Nexus a lot, and I've followed a lot of the workarounds. Compared to Sense, AOSP feels very...incomplete. No VVM, no FB sync, no 'quick settings', no T9 dialer, 160 char text limit, no LED, no browser 'disable mobile view', odd youtube resize on rotate, slow picture gallery, no hd recording, no zoom, weak radios, etc.

Sure, there are work arounds, and I can (and did) download a different dialer, but it's not the same..the apps you download never have the 'integrated' feel.

I always wondered why manufacturers didn't simply ship their devices as AOSP, but after playing with the Nexus its clear: AOSP is not 'finished.' My fear is that will be the demise, or at least major mis-step of Android. My mother could never figure out how to use my Nexus. Touchwiz - probably, Sense - Sure, iPhone - absolutely, AOSP - no way.

Some of you may flame me, some of you may simply state 'thats how its supposed to be.' But I think from the 'this OS is complete, finished and polished' standpoint, it pales in comparison to iOS. I personally do not want an iPhone...but I think its a completely fair and accurate statement.

I sure hope Ice Cream Sandwich brings a whole lot of usability improvements...and I mean a whole lot.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I like then Nexus a lot, and I've followed a lot of the workarounds. Compared to Sense, AOSP feels very...incomplete. No VVM, no FB sync, no 'quick settings', no T9 dialer, 160 char text limit, no LED, no browser 'disable mobile view', odd youtube resize on rotate, slow picture gallery, no hd recording, no zoom, weak radios, etc.

Sure, there are work arounds, and I can (and did) download a different dialer, but it's not the same..the apps you download never have the 'integrated' feel.

I always wondered why manufacturers didn't simply ship their devices as AOSP, but after playing with the Nexus its clear: AOSP is not 'finished.' My fear is that will be the demise, or at least major mis-step of Android. My mother could never figure out how to use my Nexus. Touchwiz - probably, Sense - Sure, iPhone - absolutely, AOSP - no way.

Some of you may flame me, some of you may simply state 'thats how its supposed to be.' But I think from the 'this OS is complete, finished and polished' standpoint, it pales in comparison to iOS. I personally do not want an iPhone...but I think its a completely fair and accurate statement.

I sure hope Ice Cream Sandwich brings a whole lot of usability improvements...and I mean a whole lot.

I'm not bashing in anyway,but have you thought about rooting could possibly solve sum your issues. There's plenty of roms that fix stuff. I know FB sync works great for me on custom rom. As for YouTube have you tried uninstall and then install again cause I've not had any issues with YouTube.as for vvm that's why gvoice works with sprint so good and to me is a million times better then sprint vvm.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^I know, and I've done all of those things. I'm currently running GPA17. One complaint I've had was how 'unsmooth' android was, using the Nexus, that complaint is gone. Even underclocked to 800mhz, my phone is very snappy and responsive.

Take for example, QuickPic. If a developer can make a photo gallery load as it should (instant), its obviously not a hardware problem, so why cant Google fix it?

Yes, a lot can be solved with apps, but I've been using Android on my primary phone for over 2 years and I just now heard of QuickPic. I'm tired of having to dig through the forums to find one person mention this one app in one post of one thread that will fix a major annoyance that simply doesn't exist with the competition. :':)':)'(

Please understand, I am not coming from an 'Android sucks, iOS rules' position at all...but having a chant like that helps no-one. If everybody in the Android camp says 'Android is perfect' then nothing will ever get fixed...because...its 'perfect.' My iPod touch has never been able to add the currently playing song to a playlist, I've called Apple - nothing, emailed Apple - nothing...still can't do it.

Pretending problems do not exist is not the way to succeed.

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
^I know, and I've done all of those things. I'm currently running GPA17. One complaint I've had was how 'unsmooth' android was, using the Nexus, that complaint is gone. Even underclocked to 800mhz, my phone is very snappy and responsive.

Take for example, QuickPic. If a developer can make a photo gallery load as it should (instant), its obviously not a hardware problem, so why cant Google fix it?

Yes, a lot can be solved with apps, but I've been using Android on my primary phone for over 2 years and I just now heard of QuickPic. I'm tired of having to dig through the forums to find one person mention this one app in one post of one thread that will fix a major annoyance that simply doesn't exist with the competition. :':)':)'(

Please understand, I am not coming from an 'Android sucks, iOS rules' position at all...but having a chant like that helps no-one. If everybody in the Android camp says 'Android is perfect' then nothing will ever get fixed...because...its 'perfect.' My iPod touch has never been able to add the currently playing song to a playlist, I've called Apple - nothing, emailed Apple - nothing...still can't do it.

Pretending problems do not exist is not the way to succeed.

I agree there is something that do need to be fixed and gallery is one of the major things that needs some help. Youtube is another i swear every so often i have to uninstall/install just to make it work properly.
I agree again about the quickpic app cause your the first ive heard of it and i've been a android developer for years.lol

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I think this is how most people coming from WebOS feel about Android in general. It just doesn't feel as smooth and well executed. Navigation is just not as straightforward or elegent as the gesture area and a lot of features are not well integrated.

I do think Android is getting better in this regard. I believe the integration of Picasa and Google Music into the default apps is a step in the right direction but clearly there is room for improvement.

I think Custom ROMS are the way to go to fix some of these issues but only geeks will know how to do that. The general consumer will adjust to some of these issues because they haven't known anything else. Android could be in serious trouble when the iPhone 5 hits all carriers. I know on Sprint not having the iPhone as an option is a reason most people go with Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781