Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vansmack
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4G Data useage and Hot Spot

I just moved last week and long story short I am using my S and paying for the hot spot right now as my home internet connection. I run a revue to stream Netflix and have 3 laptops consuming data. I get great speeds usually consistent at 8 mbps down and as high as 13 down - its plenty fast for my needs. I'm at 10 gigs of usage already, since its unlimited, and I'm paying for it I don't feel too had. Has anyone completely replaced their home internet doing what I'm doing? Is Sprint going to cut me off if I average 100 gigs a month? $30 is a lot cheaper than some crappy Comcast or another provider - plus I'd rather give my money to sprint. Any input is appreciated.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1

Default Re: 4G Data useage and Hot Spot

As they are right now they won't say anything, especially if you paying for the hotspot feature. They say they are unlimited and so use that UNLIMITED whichever way you want to. Enjoy it while you can because when/if the iPhone comes to Sprint things may change.

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

This is interesting. Suprised that you are having such great results. What City are you in? I have only once seen over 10mbps on 4G, I usually get 2.3 consistently.
    - Grant Heppes www.GrantHeppes.com www.about.me/GrantHeppes
    Thank me if I helped you please. Google+ Me http://www.gplus.to/GrantHeppes

Wait, you can hotspot the 4G connection? I thought that wasn't possible even with root?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes View Post
    This is interesting. Suprised that you are having such great results. What City are you in? I have only once seen over 10mbps on 4G, I usually get 2.3 consistently.
    Portland, OR - I live about 1 mile from a Clear tower and have full 4G bars everywhere in my house. Previously around town I'd hit 4 down on average. All speed tests taken with the speakeasy website through Dolphin browser. Early morning and late night can hit 13 pretty consistently. Wimax is great if you have a strong signal.

As far as 4g through hotspot, it works for me - maybe because I pay for it? I'm at 24 gigs now, trying to use that much data over 3g would take months with Sprint.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm now up to 37 gigabytes with no signs of slowing down

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Keep on chugging! I don't remember reading anything in the fine print of the contract about throttling or capping you on any specific limit. I know the old Verizon contracts that were "unlimited" would state 5 GB in the fine print, but I don't recall that on my Sprint paper work.

Wish I had a good signal in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. 3G is poor in my neighborhood but pretty solid around town. 4G is only active in specific areas like by the beach/airport and it's not widespread in Miami either.

Since you guys are talking 4g speed I just ran a speed test comparison between the Nexus 4g and the Photon at the local store. This is about 5 miles south of Cincinnati in Kentucky. The Photon was about 3mb down and 250Kb up but the Nexus was 5mb down and 1mb up. Photon has 3/5 bars and Nexus had 1/3 bars..

Quote Originally Posted by midaseris View Post
    I'm now up to 37 gigabytes with no signs of slowing down
    The only thing you may have to concern yourself with is any verbiage in the Terms of Service that prevent you from using your tether as your main home internet connection. That restriction was definitely in the language when I had a separate contract for my mobile broadband card (though I did use it on many occasions when my DSL would go out).

Don't have the phone hotspot so I've never seen that contract to compare.

beto89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    Haha seriously

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    I know this post was in jest, or I can assume since you added a smiley...but there was at least one pr1ick in the AC article that linked to this thread. I'm paying for the hotspot feature and using 4G data over clears network. I'm certainly not a resource hog. Now I'll be forced to move to Clear, using the same network and using the same amount of data. OR since Sprint wants to punish those that actually pay to tether, I could just root and use a third party app. That's where the problem lies, in my opinion.

Oh well, I'm at 48gigs of PAID 4G data now, and I'll continue to use it without discretion until this becomes official.

Did you get slammed on your next bill? I was also paying for unlimited data using the Overdrive Hotspot for Sprint, I never recieved a notice in snail mail or electronic mail, but I looked at my next bill after this change went into effect and it jumped up to $475 from $35 ... It's appalling that they can just change you plan like this without telling you, how do they know what tier you want to be in? they just sunk me in the lowest tier and let me pay the extra .05 cents for every megabyte ...