1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Task Killer bad?

I just got my Nexus S 4G and installed quite a bit. A few people now have told me to install the Advanced Task Killer. I heard it was bad for the phone though. Can anyone give me solid information on what to do and how to use it if I do need it? I'm a battery saver so anything can help. (I also have juicedefender) But main question is about the Task Killer.

Thanks,
    -Allen
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Extra Crispy

Default Re: Task Killer bad???

In general yes task killers are bad. One of the main problems is you end up killing on services that are needed o you waste battery by killing them and they pop right back open in the background.
    If you choose to go that way then watch very carefully what your killing.Just a example,but say you see gtalk open and you kill it then next thing you know it's open again,that's cause it's a service that is needed and always runs in the background so you just wasted more battery killing the app and make it open itself back up.
    I would say if you don't have root already think about doing that then get you a app called autokiller this will change the lowmemorykiller levels the higher the levels the quicker your phone closes processes it doesn't need.This will give you a lot more ram and usually give way better performance.I personally would never ever use a task killer they are a big waste of battery if you don't know what apps do and don't need to be running at all times. If you choose to use it then i would really do my homework on what is okay to kill off and what is not okay to kill off.

Default Re: Task Killer bad?

Its not needed, Android does a great job in management of its apps, gingerbread is even better.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by beezy View Post
    In general yes task killers are bad. One of the main problems is you end up killing on services that are needed o you waste battery by killing them and they pop right back open in the background.
    If you choose to go that way then watch very carefully what your killing.Just a example,but say you see gtalk open and you kill it then next thing you know it's open again,that's cause it's a service that is needed and always runs in the background so you just wasted more battery killing the app and make it open itself back up.
    I would say if you don't have root already think about doing that then get you a app called autokiller this will change the lowmemorykiller levels the higher the levels the quicker your phone closes processes it doesn't need.This will give you a lot more ram and usually give way better performance.I personally would never ever use a task killer they are a big waste of battery if you don't know what apps do and don't need to be running at all times. If you choose to use it then i would really do my homework on what is okay to kill off and what is not okay to kill off.
    Yeah, I was thinkng of rooting but 1. I don't know how or where to start. and 2. I want to make sure I always get the latest Google Android Updates possible
    Joined the Android Army '11
    Current Android ~ Nexus 5
    Like A Bo$$

ROM
    Oxygen2.2.2/Netarchy1.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by AllenRulz View Post
    Yeah, I was thinkng of rooting but 1. I don't know how or where to start. and 2. I want to make sure I always get the latest Google Android Updates possible

its really easy to root and flash a new rom, which is like a new software for your phone.
    procedure:

1: follow this:
    2: go to the app market, look for ROM manager, free edition will do.
    3: go into the root, roms, and hacks section of NSG4 in this forum and look for a ROM you want, my favorites are Oxygen 2.2.2 and Deck 1.3d.
    4: Download your ROM and put it on your phone, not in any folder, just simply on your phone.
    5: on ROM manager go to Install from SDCARD, and scroll for the ROM you want. wipe cache and dalvik cache ( this will reset your phone) and make a backup, backups are cool so you can always restore it and youll be back where you are and you can make plenty of different backups too
    6: your new rom will flash and youll be fine.
    Live life to the mediumest.

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Task Killer bad?

Task Killers are not recommended. I haven't used one since android 2.1, and definitely don't think anyone should these days.
    - Grant Heppes www.GrantHeppes.com www.about.me/GrantHeppes
    Thank me if I helped you please. Google+ Me http://www.gplus.to/GrantHeppes