| || |
My Experience with Google+ Hangout (Video Conf) on Nexus S 4G
Google just updated google+ so that you can join hangouts and video conference with friends on a Mobile phone.
It's a definite mixed bag.
1. The video was pretty impressive. We had a computer and two phones going at once.
2. The "active" video feed switches depending on who is talking and it was a pretty smooth transition
3. It was easy to join a hangout
1. If you have two or more mobile phones on the hangout, the microphones don't work.
We found that if we both had phone microphones on, then there was a ton of static and only one of the microphone feeds would work (whichever worked, it stayed that way and no others would work). To get it so each microphone worked, we had to have the non-speaking party mute their microphone while the other tried to talk (and then vice-versa). Pretty stupid given that it works perfectly with Fring.
2. There is no way to start a hangout from the mobile app!
The only way I was able to do it was to create a hangout on my desktop and invite myself and friends, then on the mobile phone, I joined the same hangout (with the same account as on the computer). Later, I then exited the hangout on the computer and stayed on the phone.
3. There's no notification on the mobile phone about the hangout. You have to be in your google + app looking at streams to see it and join.
It's an app that could be so amazing but needs some definite work to get to a useable state for mobile-mobile video conferencing.