Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long until we get ICS after it's revealed?

Does anyone have an estimated time frame of when we should see ICS on our Nexus S devices after it's unveiled on Tuesday? How long did it take for the Nexus One to get Gingerbread after it was unveiled? I was wondering because I'm really tempted and wanting to switch back to my Nexus S from my HTC Arrive Windows Phone, but want to wait until the UI becomes hardware accelerated (if it does).

Default Re: How long until we get ICS after it's revealed?

I wouldn't think it would take too long... Its probably already done and ready to go, just a matter of when they plan on sending it out....
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

It was probably tested on the S during development, so I imagine it shouldn't take too long.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

so are we talking like 1 month type of not long, or like few days or.....?

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gpa18/Matrix8.0

I bet we wont see it for over 2 months.

If its supposed to debute on the new Droid Prime or whatever its called from Verizon then it has to release there first then it will filter down to the Nexus S/NS4G.
    Paul

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    If its supposed to debute on the new Droid Prime or whatever its called from Verizon then it has to release there first then it will filter down to the Nexus S/NS4G.
    I still don't think that the new Nexus will be a Verizon exclusive. My reasons pretty much coincide with this article:
    - Grant Heppes www.GrantHeppes.com www.about.me/GrantHeppes
    Thank me if I helped you please. Google+ Me http://www.gplus.to/GrantHeppes
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grantheppes View Post
    I still don't think that the new Nexus will be a Verizon exclusive. My reasons pretty much coincide with this article:
    It wouldn't make sense to me being sprint has the huge partnership when them and all their beta products like wallet and voice.

I mainly stated that seeing how Verizon is the only one to actually acknowledge the Droid Prime and it debuting with ICS that it would most likely end up there first and then onto the other devices as they release or update the older models.

Hopefully the upcoming event will help clear the air on what is happening and when.
    Paul

Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I mainly stated that seeing how Verizon is the only one to actually acknowledge the Droid Prime and it debuting with ICS that it would most likely end up there first and then onto the other devices as they release or update the older models.

Hopefully the upcoming event will help clear the air on what is happening and when.
    I would like the see a carrier wide release. Simultaneously.

Yes I think we would all like to see that Blackhawk.

All I know is that is my next move as long as Sprint is picking up the new Nexus. Then again the wife hasn't been all that pleased with Sprint as of late so who know... Maybe Verizon is a possibility too..... Time will tell...
    Paul

I've been wondering this too. I hope they announce a release schedule on Tuesday as well.

Seeing how long the original Nexus took to get Gingerbread, I wouldn't expect us to get it for a few months after the Prime is released.

Speculation, speculation... Hopefully we will hear some answers next week.... Until we see the new line of Nexus come out I wouldn't even worry about it because I'm sure they will see it before its filtered down to the older Nexus lines.
    Paul

Nexus S release: December 16, 2010
    Nexus One Gingerbread update: February 22, 2011

So don't get your hopes up for an immediate Nexus S ICS update. Luckily there will probably be AOSP ROMs compiled from source long before the official update rolls out.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Speculation, speculation... Hopefully we will hear some answers next week.... Until we see the new line of Nexus come out I wouldn't even worry about it because I'm sure they will see it before its filtered down to the older Nexus lines.
    I know we'll get it. I'm actually curious to see hoe long the nexus one goes if it gets ics.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

man those videos have me stoked for ICS now....it looks like they might have truly achieved hardware acceleration. the question is...how well will it run on the single core Nexus S because they said hardware acceleration needed dual-core....hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Nexus S release: December 16, 2010
    Nexus One Gingerbread update: February 22, 2011

So don't get your hopes up for an immediate Nexus S ICS update. Luckily there will probably be AOSP ROMs compiled from source long before the official update rolls out.
    Yup, they have to have an incentive for people to upgrade which is why the Nexus S won't get it for a few months after. No big deal as like you said we will have ROMs.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    man those videos have me stoked for ICS now....it looks like they might have truly achieved hardware acceleration. the question is...how well will it run on the single core Nexus S because they said hardware acceleration needed dual-core....hmmm.
    I thought that was for voice search? O wait. Wrong phone.
    BrianDigital likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    I thought that was for voice search? O wait. Wrong phone.
    i see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool84 View Post
    Seeing how long the original Nexus took to get Gingerbread, I wouldn't expect us to get it for a few months after the Prime is released.
    My hope is that that delay had something to do with the N1 being an HTC device, where Gingerbread was launched on a fairly different piece of hardware from Samsung. This time, since ICS is launching on another Samsung device, could be easier/quicker to get it onto the Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djw39 View Post
    My hope is that that delay had something to do with the N1 being an HTC device, where Gingerbread was launched on a fairly different piece of hardware from Samsung. This time, since ICS is launching on another Samsung device, could be easier/quicker to get it onto the Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Could be possible. But more likely it's the marketing scenario. People who bought the Nexus S not knowing if it's going to get the update. People who want ICS so bad and can't wait for there Nexus S to get it. lol. People new to android wanting the latest and greatest phone. Have a choice between the Nexus S and Nexus Prime which look identical. Sprint rep tells them well t his one (at twice the price) is running the latest android. "I'll take it".

Instead of well they are both the same but this one has dual core. "Huh, what's that?"

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1

The wait would be two weeks because lets face it they are trying to compete with the new ios 5 and the media hype of siri...even though android been have it for a while now. The samsung delay of the prime is a huge blow i feel because its back to the drawing board in incorporating more things to make it beat the iphone down even more
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

The only thing the iPhone does for us is get more people to pay for our new network.
    Thanked by:
    S_C_B 

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidUserM View Post
    The wait would be two weeks because lets face it they are trying to compete with the new ios 5 and the media hype of siri...even though android been have it for a while now. The samsung delay of the prime is a huge blow i feel because its back to the drawing board in incorporating more things to make it beat the iphone down even more
    I doubt that. The details of iOS5 have been out for a while, and SIRI? Android has had excellent voice recognition since its inception.

Samsung and Google delayed the release out of respect for the death of Steve Jobs. Nothing more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast