This is how ICS buttonless should have worked

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Swiping up from the bottom of the screen (just like you swipe down from the top for notifications) to show the buttons makes more sense, is cleaner and saves a lot of screen space:
http://postimage.org/image/13ijt7jok/
Nexus_S_New.gif

Last edited:

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes that link works. Also I don't believe it could be possible for the Nexus S because of the screen size ends where the capacitive touch buttons works

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea in theory, I don't know how well it would work in practice without an off-screen gesture area (like the Palm Pre) to ensure that the upswipe worked correctly.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I like the idea in theory, I don't know how well it would work in practice without an off-screen gesture area (like the Palm Pre) to ensure that the upswipe worked correctly.

What do you mean? It'd work exactly like notifications work right now. There's no gesture area above any Android phone, yet the notifications drop down when you swipe down.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? It'd work exactly like notifications work right now. There's no gesture area above any Android phone, yet the notifications drop down when you swipe down.

The notifications are part of the top bar, so you touch anywhere near the top of the screen and the pull down tab pops up. I see your point though, that same system should work at the bottom of the screen as well.

Edit: They'd have to find a way to deal with full-screen games that block the top bar and don't allow the notification pulldown to work.

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Disagree, just one more step to do everything.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

But:

1. It's an extra step whenever you're in an app anyways because the buttons all become dots and you have to click the bar to show them again (in case they have an extra menu button and you need to know which it is)

If you think this is simple, I saw even the google guys in the demos accidentally click the wrong "dot" when the main buttons were hidden and there's only three right now. (Personally I think it's bad usability to make them all the same icon)

2. You get more screen real-estate which can be great for a lot of apps and especially browsers

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
But:

1. It's an extra step whenever you're in an app anyways because the buttons all become dots and you have to click the bar to show them again (in case they have an extra menu button and you need to know which it is)

If you think this is simple, I saw even the google guys in the demos accidentally click the wrong "dot" when the main buttons were hidden and there's only three right now. (Personally I think it's bad usability to make them all the same icon)

2. You get more screen real-estate which can be great for a lot of apps and especially browsers

I don't believe the buttons disappear. Just watched the Verge hands on to check, buttons stay visible.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, Google confirmed on phones with actual buttons, such as the Nexus S, ICS will not use software buttons, but will use the hardware ones instead.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe the buttons disappear. Just watched the Verge hands on to check, buttons stay visible.

Actually, it was in google's presentation. Duarte mentioned the buttons turning into dots (just like they do on honeycomb) as a benefit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2