Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period"?

In google voice dictation, you can put punctuation in by saying the punctuation. For example, to get the sentence, "I am happy." you would say, "I am happy period," and it puts in a period. But how to get the word period?

If I say, "It was a great period in my life," it writes: "It was a great. In my life"

The only way I've been able to get it to print the word is to say the punctuation twice, but then that results in:

"It was a great. Period in my life wasn't it? Question mark"

Is there a way to do this?

ROM
    stock

Default Re: How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period

Sorry, I get the same thing..
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

Default Re: How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period

I haven't really played with the Google version of dictation, but back in the day when I used to dictate a lot I edited my dictionary to replace the punctuation mark "period" with the voice command "full stop"

Hopefully you can edit that somewhere in the phone.

Default Re: How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period"?

Call me a genius, as I have found out a solution to the "full stop"/"period" problem.

What you need to do is change the Language to "UK English" in GOOGLE VOICE settings and not in your mobile settings.

To do this:
    1) open up a new text message
    2) change the keyboard to voice input like you normally would
    3) you would see a "red microphone" button that says it's listening to you. ABOVE that red button in faded colour is a drop-down box to select language
    4) click on that and choose "UK English-the one & only"

That should recognize "full stop" as a punctuation mark.. the way it normally should.

The above steps were done successfully on my Samsung Galaxy S GT9505 4 International edition, running Android 4.3. Results may vary depending on your mobile specifications, and will be done under your responsibility.