Curious about inductive charging.

cntchds

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a Pre for 2 years, and just made the switch a couple days ago to the Nexus S 4G. I don't think even I realized how convenient induction charging was until it was gone. Anyway, in a half awake adventure I ripped apart the back of my old Pre to look at the guts compared to the ns4g. I found that the induction coil was light and thin, so I tried sitting it under the ns4g's back cover, which was a bit too snug for my liking.

Anyway, I was thinking about how to work out the actual charging duties so i pulled the batteries. Each has three terminals. I assume one is positive, one negative, and the third is for charging. Then I thought maybe I could run wire from the terminals off the induction coil to the terminals going to the battery. Then better judgement caught me, and here I am. I figured that somewhere either in the software, or in the battery itself there was a cut off for when the battery was full, and if it were in the software, my bypass would allow the battery to continue charging until... I actually have no idea what happens when batteries get overcharged. But I'm sure it isn't good. I snapped some shots and I'll attach them to his post for reference. What do you think?

Pre back
View attachment 17287

Nexus back
View attachment 17285

Induction coil
View attachment 17286

Pre innards (the small terminals to the right of the battery terminals is where the induction system contacts to charge.)
View attachment 17283

Nexus back with induction coil.
View attachment 17289

On touchstone... next to the pre guts.
View attachment 17290

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I felt the same way when i first got my Nexus. It goes away after a month or two. I don't care about the touchstone anymore.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I sorta miss the touchstone, though I did just pick up the Samsung dock for my Nexus at Best Buy for $20 - serves the purpose I used the touchstone for on my bedside table.

Now if we could just get Samsung to release an alternate soft-touch back for the phone like we had for the Pre... ;)

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't connect it to the battery it has to go through the on board charging circuit read other threads about touchstone modding epic has one and a few other threads

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908