1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Will ICS help our signal issues?

I think they will, because they knew it was an issue when they were developing, and by all reports the nexus s was used to develop early stages of ICS.

Any one else think this is a possibility?
    Nexus S 4G Launch Day Owner

Default Re: Will ICS help our signal issues?

No, I don't believe ICS can further improve the crappy radio/antenna on the Nexus S.

ROM
    AOSP 4.2.1

It's definitely possible. I've seen it happen with other devices' update in the past.

I hope so because my Nexus is barely usable as a phone in most of the places I'm at and I never had signal problems this bad with other phones in the same exact areas.

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think the majority of signal issues users of this phone report are due to problems with hardware. I'm hoping I'm wrong, because my Nexus radio blows too. :|

ROM
    AOSP 4.2.1

I honestly dont understand all the complaints. My phone gets excellent reception almost everywhere i go. I lose 4g here and there, and i have 1 spot in my daily drive where i get absolutely no reception, but neither does anyone else, so i have absolutely no radio complaints. Thats not to say i wont gladly take a radio improvement if given the opportunity, though

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by dunivan View Post
    I think they will, because they knew it was an issue when they were developing, and by all reports the nexus s was used to develop early stages of ICS.

Any one else think this is a possibility?
    No. Updating the Android software does nothing to affect your signal. That's controlled by the radio. Now, with most updates, yes, a new radio is included, but it's the radio that affects it, not Android.

Check to make sure you have all the latest updates - they did push out an update with a different radio that was supposed to fix the signal issues.

Like others are saying, I have no troubles whatsoever on my Nexus
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+
    Thanked by 2:

After seeing the huge radio improvement in 2.3.5 for data throughput, I have stopped expecting any further improvements. When the phone works, it's great. It just almost never works.

Leaving Sprint next month, it's all worked out. Terrible terrible network for making telephone calls. Didn't used to be that way, even during the early days with my Nexus (I got it launch day).

Getting a Galaxy Nexus on VzW.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

I've been running an early ICS build and am getting MUCH better data speeds. Can't say anything to voice because I have never had a problem

ROM
    4.0 or 2.3 (FLASHAHOLIC)

No.

Unless there was a radio update included in the ota.

I fear it slowing down because of its new data management. But that's me just over thinking I hope.

Sent from my Google Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    I've been running an early ICS build and am getting MUCH better data speeds. Can't say anything to voice because I have never had a problem
    Interesting. Are you seeing consistently higher speeds or better max speed? I saw about 10mbits with 2.3.5, and some people report even more.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by theduder View Post
    Interesting. Are you seeing consistently higher speeds or better max speed? I saw about 10mbits with 2.3.5, and some people report even more.
    I'm not sure if its a signal thing or if the browser and other apps are just processing quicker, but I'm getting consistent higher speeds on wifi and 3g.

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

the duder,
    Don't blame you for jumping ship, a phone needs to work. I had issues with an Epic, just sucked on service, went to ATT (but salesman lied on sales plans, costs, etc.), so called Sprint back and got Executive Services.

I swore something was wrong with my phone, tried every update I knew, helpful Service Center could find nothing, so to get me back, they just sent me a new phone (I didn't really want to leave, but I needed service).

It was the phone, new one worked. So something undetectable according to their tests was causing the problems.

So if you want to stay, try another service center or any means. If you want the new shiny Nexus, have fun.

ROM
    GPA18 (Bugless Beast)

Basebands for radios have the possibility of being updated. I know that when I upgraded my basebands, I experienced way better 3G speeds and (whether this is real or not) the phone seemed to have better reception.

Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    the duder,
    Don't blame you for jumping ship, a phone needs to work. I had issues with an Epic, just sucked on service, went to ATT (but salesman lied on sales plans, costs, etc.), so called Sprint back and got Executive Services.

I swore something was wrong with my phone, tried every update I knew, helpful Service Center could find nothing, so to get me back, they just sent me a new phone (I didn't really want to leave, but I needed service).

It was the phone, new one worked. So something undetectable according to their tests was causing the problems.

So if you want to stay, try another service center or any means. If you want the new shiny Nexus, have fun.
    My phone works intermittently in a way that leads me to believe it probably isn't hardware, but you're right that swapping handsets is a possible additional thing to try.

Unfortunately, the situation has persisted for so long that I really can't give Sprint any more chances. I need to go with the best (Verizon) to show my professional contacts that I am doing all I can to remedy a horrible situation. I am embracing the fact that my smartphone is the most important thing I have for conducting day to day business. It needs to work no matter what the cost. How could I possibly justify taking any further risk?