Android 4.0.4 Nexus s 4G

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Yea you don't need to be rooted. The original version was to flash through fastboot I believe, but there's already an Odin version, which doesn't require rooting either. I flashed through Odin.

eblackman

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks CP and others i will check it out but at work right now. But can you tell me will this erase all your data or keep everything the way it is and will this also update the WIFI radios ETC.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks CP and others i will check it out but at work right now. But can you tell me will this erase all your data or keep everything the way it is and will this also update the WIFI radios ETC.

It looks like it will wipe everything but the stuff stored on your SD drive. So most likely pics and that stuff won't be deleted. I would back it all up just in case. But the guy in the video said his SD Drive was not affected.

eblackman

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CP my last question and thanks for helping is my assumption since this is being installed on a non rooted phone if for some reason the next update for ICS comes out i should get it without having to unstall the version of ICS on my phone. I assume the one everyone is installing is the official version.

E

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I have been told from those who flashed it your sdcard (internal storage) will not be affected/erased. Rule of thumb back up your pics, music, etc.. as we always recommend.

sk1win

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted but have not flashed a custom ROM. Do I need to go back to stock before Google pushes the official 4.0.4 update OTA?

Last edited by a moderator:

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the latest unofficial CM9 nightly...I look forward to 4.0.4 being adde to the AOSP, so CM9 can be updated accordingly.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but have not flashed a custom ROM. Do I need to go back to stock before Google pushes the official 4.0.4 update OTA?
If you have just rooted and still are running the stock OS then you will most likely receive the OTA update. If it does happen and upgrade you will probably loose root but that is easily re established again.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If this leaked version is the offical version, then it is running pretty smoothly.

I had it running the stock kernel for a while, and it was fast just as a deodexed stock ROM. I have since installed Eugene's 3.1.10 kernel, and its faster still.

I would say it is no faster than some of the more recent 4.0.3 ROMs, particularly beezy's ROM or bigixe's ROM with custom kernels...

IMHO, the radio is better as well.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
All right, I'll bite... How so?

So, I wouldn't say it is exactly scientific, but I could never use my phone in my basement. Typically the reception would be about -106 dBm. With the new radio, it's about -96 dBm in the same location and I can make some semblence of a phone call while in my basement office now. Around my work, typically used to be -76 dBm; now it's -65 dBm to -76 dBm.

Little things I've noticed.

Reactions: oversteer325

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone report on any wifi/wimax improvements? The last "improvement" they released in August or whatever time period it was, did nothing for my phone.