Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MarkHirt View Post
    Lots of empty parking lots around my work today... Wait or do it yourself
    Already did long ago.

The only reason people are waiting is to see if Sprint's telling the truth or if it's coming today at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuie View Post
    Already did long ago.

The only reason people are waiting is to see if Sprint's telling the truth or if it's coming today at all.
    why would Sprint lie?
    yibrushn likes this.

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jstates916 View Post
    why would Sprint lie?
    It's probably been a very small ota so far, starts small gets big, then finishes small
    Nexus S 4G Launch Day Owner

Quote Originally Posted by dunivan View Post
    It's probably been a very small ota so far, starts small gets big, then finishes small
    that's what she said.

...sorry. i couldn't resist.
    MacGuyInNC and yibrushn like this.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

So...here's a thing.

Not sure if that would work as it looks like those are just the leaked files from a few days ago.

HOWEVER. I got a PRL update from Sprint without even doing anything yesterday. So...there's that.

Anyone want to try this and see how it works?

(Note: Don't do this if you're not cool with possibly breaking something if this place is incorrect)

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuie View Post
    So...here's a thing.

Not sure if that would work as it looks like those are just the leaked files from a few days ago.

HOWEVER. I got a PRL update from Sprint without even doing anything yesterday. So...there's that.

Anyone want to try this and see how it works?

(Note: Don't do this if you're not cool with possibly breaking something if this place is incorrect)
    Well, I'm downloading it. Not sure I'm brave enough to try it - never heard of that site before. I might unzip it and peek around.

Also wanted to note twice in the past couple weeks I seem to have gotten PRL updates overnight w/o doing anything - I distinctly remember one of them woke me up (the screen turned on).

*shrugs*

EDIT: I think this is the leak, not the OTA - exact same md5 hash.

Well, I'm downloading it. Not sure I'm brave enough to try it - never heard of that site before. I might unzip it and peek around.

Also wanted to note twice in the past couple weeks I seem to have gotten PRL updates overnight w/o doing anything - I distinctly remember one of them woke me up (the screen turned on).

*shrugs*
    Did it work?

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elisfkc View Post
    Did it work?
    I didn't try it - like I said, not brave enough. Though after looking around, I believe it's the same file that was the leak - the md5 sums are the same. So I doubt if you could actually do the rename-and-boot-into-bootloader trick with this.

As far as I'm aware nobody has yet received the OTA update. So anything else that is floating around is still the leaked "official" version from a few days back.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/statu...14450916335616

According to JBQ, looks like we may not see the factory images for the Nexus S 4G until maybe next week as he's too busy to put them up currently.

So, we'll just have to wait until the OTA itself comes then or next week for the factory images.

Could come today, depending on how busy he is.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

The factory image still requires a wipe, right?

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

wouldn't the factory images wipe the phone?
    Nexus S 4G Launch Day Owner

Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    I didn't try it - like I said, not brave enough. Though after looking around, I believe it's the same file that was the leak - the md5 sums are the same. So I doubt if you could actually do the rename-and-boot-into-bootloader trick with this.
    yea I just tried it doesn't work -__-

The only way to get around not having a wiped device is two ways.

1. Receive the OTA update the way it was meant to be
    2. Take the update.zip file which is essentially the OTA and flash/install it using the stock recovery.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

If I'm not mistaken, they shouldn't. That would be the "update.zip" method.

Looks like I'm mistaken, nevermind then. :P

As for the OTA:

Sprint Community: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

According to Sprint reps on their forum, the OTA isn't widespread yet as it'll take some time to reach their system from corporate. Apparently the OTA IS out there, but as I said, not everyone's going to freak out and say something because not everyone is tech-savvy as those on these forums and XDA. :P

My guess is anyone who has it now doesn't really know that the update has been wanted for so long and updated without much fanfare. Remember, this phone's been given out as free for a while now so that means a lot of non-tech savvy people can get it easy.

Anyone try to see if the Spirit store will update it for them? I would, but I'm on a road trip.

You about hit that one the head...

Anyone sees a legitament link to the OTA package feel free to PM it to me and I'll open up the official thread with it...

Remember, its going to be an update package from Gingerbread v2.3.7 to ICS 4.0.4.

Anything else is a fake or doctored.
    Paul

Thanked by 2:

Some ppl are saying they got the OTA yesterday but these are non techy ppl that don't know how to get the OTA URL... I am at least asking them what's the baseband version.

No update for my phone but if i get it ill let ya know.

Can someone tell them how to, so those of us who are waiting can get it?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Hello everyone I went to my clock work mod earlier today and went to install update from sdcard its there but I don't know if it's the real ics update or the ics rom I got off the Internet if it's the real one how do I install it???

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by elisfkc View Post
    Can someone tell them how to, so those of us who are waiting can get it?
    Only thing you can do is wait or try going to Settings/About Phone and check for updates...

The check for updates rarely does anything, it will notify you first normally before you get the chance to check for updates.
    Paul

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

So I'm probably like everyone else on this forum. Every chance I get, I go to my settings menu and check for System Updates. I IMMEDIATELY get a notification that my system is up to date. It happens so quickly, that it leads me to think that the phone is not actually "checking in" with Sprint to see if there are any updates. Am I right that the phone will keep doing that until Sprint sends it some message that an update is available?

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hjmillre View Post
    So I'm probably like everyone else on this forum. Every chance I get, I go to my settings menu and check for System Updates. I IMMEDIATELY get a notification that my system is up to date. It happens so quickly, that it leads me to think that the phone is not actually "checking in" with Sprint to see if there are any updates. Am I right that the phone will keep doing that until Sprint sends it some message that an update is available?
    That's correct. You won't see an update on that screen until it actually reaches you.

Also, further confirmation that the OTA went out yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/statu...55914670157826

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Looks like OTA might be a bit bit different build from the leak. User who received official OTA reports base band of D720SPRKH1.

Sprint Community: 4/5 - Nexus S Software Update - IMM76D (Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)

The leak base band was D720SPRLC1, perhaps the RLC1 stands for Release Candidate 1?

Either way... getting close.
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920 ... LastLast