Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Default Re: ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by deltasig View Post
    OK seriously I really would love to know what is causing the delay in the iCS build! My paitience is wearing very thin and almost ready to say Bye to Sprint and go to Verizon and get the Galaxy Nexus and pay the early termination fee. Now that the Galaxy SII ICS has been announced for Saturday I'm even more pissed. WTF is taking so long!!!!!!!!!!! I even emailed google to find out what is taking so long on the rollout and to no surprise have not heard back.
    Your questions have been answered here in this post I made on the last page.

Also, the LTE Verizon Galaxy Nexus is having the same problem and it's owners are in the same boat we are in, same for the GSM International Galaxy Nexus too.

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is CDMA just like the Nexus S 4G and things are pretty much the same for them as it is for us in terms of updates.

Also, the Samsung Galaxy S II is only being updated if you do NOT live in the United States. If you DO live in the United States, you'll probably be waiting a few months.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 03-08-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Removed quoted language/cleanup.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Like how many months per say:-) and i was askin a lagiminate question bout my future phone for 2 years not spam the page ladies and gents lol

Sent from my ZTE Score using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Like how many months per say:-) and i was askin a lagiminate question bout my future phone for 2 years not spam the page ladies and gents lol

Sent from my ZTE Score using Tapatalk
    Probably two or three months. Not every Galaxy S II is alike and then you have the carriers who will want to mess around with the update as well.

I'd say probably around June or July at this rate.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

They are waiting till May, when the Nexus S 4g warranty expires incase the update kills the phone so you are *********
    Last edited by Paul627g; 03-08-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: foul language

Guys,

I have re opened the thread. Lets try and follow the proper forum etiquette that we all should be observing...

Remember we have new members coming in here viewing this too, its not just our AC regulars so lets show the newer members/users the respect and chance to voice their comments and discussion.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Paul627g; 03-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

For what its worth, the talk of the Sensation getting the ICS update before us has been currently retracted by Samsung. So take that for what its worth at this point in time, also this is mentioned as being outside of the United States so that isn't affecting the Nexus S4g.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iransirijillo View Post
    They are waiting till May, when the Nexus S 4g warranty expires incase the update kills the phone so you are *********
    The Nexus S will be End of Life when Google can no longer update the software just like how the Nexus One is technically End of Life as it will not be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich due to hardware issues. Even if Sprint stops selling the Nexus S, Google will still support it for as long as possible.

I really do not like how people are still defending Google, even when we know the Nexus is not going to be the first phone updated. It should not matter whether it is in America, or around the world. I try to use the law of reason and where I say, this does not make any sense it has been three months without a word. I would be happy if Google came out and said they are releasing beta software to you guys(Android community) and they will use us to test it out until there are no problems. Then I can say to myself "wow Google is really taking all the precautions and is working on it as fast as they can. But sadly they are not. I think Apple does that for its developers.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bugz_92 View Post
    I really do not like how people are still defending Google, even when we know the Nexus is not going to be the first phone updated. It should not matter whether it is in America, or around the world. I try to use the law of reason and where I say, this does not make any sense it has been three months without a word. I would be happy if Google came out and said they are releasing beta software to you guys(Android community) and they will use us to test it out until there are no problems. Then I can say to myself "wow Google is really taking all the precautions and is working on it as fast as they can. But sadly they are not. I think Apple does that for its developers.
    We've had a lot of words in the past week or so thanks to Jean-Baptiste Queru ‏who works for Google.

He ‏has also been answering questions on Twitter about the subject to those who are actually respectful to him. If you have a question, I would ask him about it.

Not to make people flock to him because he's still working, of course, but he seems to be our only official source in this and he doesn't have to be so I hope people are respectful to him about it.

(I need to go to bed now...it's waaaaaaaaay to early for me. Insomnia sucks.)

Quote Originally Posted by bugz_92 View Post
    You just described Google and apple by flip flopping their business models. Google ALWAYS releases beta first. There are many many ics roms in existence because of this.

Meanwhile apple never releases beta and rarely releases stock at all.

I used to be an apple hater, but recently (while I still personally strongly prefer android) have found there are a lot of people not cut out for android, Google, or properly using the ecosystem they set up, whereas apple makes it a lot easier for someone not as in to android as I am to plug into their ecosystem.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smcolbert View Post
    You just described Google and apple by flip flopping their business models. Google ALWAYS releases beta first. There are many many ics roms in existence because of this.

Meanwhile apple never releases beta and rarely releases stock at all.

I used to be an apple hater, but recently (while I still personally strongly prefer android) have found there are a lot of people not cut out for android, Google, or properly using the ecosystem they set up, whereas apple makes it a lot easier for someone not as in to android as I am to plug into their ecosystem.

I respectfully disagree, Apple always release multiple beta versions of iOS before it is released. Everytime they release a new version Engadget even writes about it, all we get in the Android community is leaks
    Last edited by jstates916; 03-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.

The source was released months earlier than the Galaxy Nexus (the launch device) was even out.

The difference with Apple is every single customer has a nearly identical device. They release an OS, it's out to all. With Android, however, you have LG, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, ZTE, etc. Then within the manufacturers you have dual core processors, LTE, WIMAX, 5MP cameras, 8MP cameras, super amoled screens, NFC, capacitive buttons, unique accessories (webtop docks,car mounts, etc).

Android differentiation is HUGE and it's what I love about android. The consequence is, you have ICS, an operating system designed for future phones (NFC, LTE, dual core+ processors, 4"+ screens), not only is there a vast number of devices to get it onto, but the launch device for gingerbread is very different from the direction Android is moving. It still has capacitive buttons (including the menu button) it only has a single core processor, etc.

It did get updates first (2.3.5 was first launched on the Nexus S). It was first to support google music, as well as other google updates and non google apps (skype, netflix, etc) It has not gotten Ice Cream Sandwich yet, but I'm fine with that.

No technology is future proof. I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus as soon as sprint launches it because I like the nexus brand. I'm not getting it so I will be the first to get jellybean, because jellybean source is going to be released months in advance regardless. We are working with an open source platform here.

If Jellybean is an OS that smoothly updates to the GNex I will actuall be disappointed in google for not stretching their capabilities more. We are supposed to be innovators here.

The nexus is outdated. We can either move past it and support future technology or we can get all mad and complain on forums about suing google, urging them to focus on the past instead of the future.

As I said. I'm ordering my Galaxy Nexus as soon as preorders are available and investing in NEW technology, which will of course immediately be old technology, because that's how it has always and will always be. If you can't handle that, then I would strongly consider switching to apple products.
    Thanked by:
    Ryuuie 
    Ryuuie and d14racer24 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jstates916 View Post
    I respectfully disagree, Apple always release multiple beta versions of iOS before it is released. Everytime they release a new version Engadget even writes about it, all e get in the Android community is leaks
    Now while I know it's true they release development builds of OSX to developers, I'm not so sure that is true with iOS builds. But I can be totally wrong, shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by notakook View Post
    Now while I know it's true they release development builds of OSX to developers, I'm not so sure that is true with iOS builds. But I can be totally wrong, shrug.
    Yeah I used to be apart of the jailbreaking community on iOS. Apple maybe release 10 beta versions before they pushed iOS 5 out to the general public. Granted you needed a developer code to fully activate the beta... You could always bypass that.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Little more news updates:

After some checking around the internet and piecing together information, it's apparent that we are NOT alone in not receiving updates.

Google has suspended updates for all of their reference devices due to bugs found after Google paused the 4.0.3 update to the T-Mobile Nexus S. This means that the GSM Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile Nexus S, AT&T Nexus S, Sprint Nexus S 4G are all in the exact same boat.

However, we have it very lucky as our phones are still stable. Starting with the T-Mobile Nexus S, here's the current situation:

-After the T-Mobile Nexus S received 4.0.3 as an OTA update from Google, problems arose. This includes high CPU usage when the phone is not in use, battery life cut in half or sometimes cut down to 4-6 hours, and wifi outright breaking in some regions if you put the SIM card in among other bugs.

-There are cases where the GSM Galaxy Nexus isn't even controlled by Google and Samsung is required to step in to give you an update. Google did not know that Samsung even did this (hint: they're not supposed to have any control over the software). This means that some GSM Galaxy Nexus devices have 4.0.1 and some have 4.0.2. If your Galaxy Nexus has the "yakju" build, your phone gets updates from Google. If it does not, you're waiting for Samsung which means you'll wait longer. Luckily, this can be changed. No one knows if Google will control the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint or Samsung will screw it up...again.

-The current build that Galaxy Nexus users have does also have bugs, bugs that are somewhat fixed in the leak of 4.0.4 for the Galaxy Nexus.

-The official build of Ice Cream Sandwich right now is 4.0.3 which the Galaxy Nexus doesn't even have, only the T-Mobile Nexus S has it. This version has proved to be VERY buggy. However, this is ALSO the version that OEMs are using to update their phones. So you know those HTC phones and whatnot getting ICS? They're getting this buggy version.

-The new build, 4.0.4, will be for the Sprint Nexus S 4G and Verizon Galaxy Nexus as far as currently is known. Obviously, the T-Mobile Nexus S should get the update as well.

Personally, I find it better that we're waiting for a much better build. Even the 4.0.4 build that leaked to the Nexus S 4G has proven MUCH better than the 4.0.3 build people based custom ROMs around. This is one reason why people who root want the update to push...it'll make the custom builds better and less buggy.

Consider ASUS' current strategy for the Transformer Prime: they pushed ICS to the tablet JUST so they could be "first" and ended up with a LOT of bugs. They knew this would happen and simply threw many small updates at the problem to make it better. Sure, it broke Primes in the process but who cares, ASUS was first! I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't like that strategy.

Sure, the Nexus S 4G owners are still on 2.3.7, but at least we don't have to worry about radios breaking, REALLY low battery life, CPU going crazy while you're not even using the phone, and our phones are still Google + Sprint instead of Google + Samsung (this last one's always a plus :P). I'd say we're the lucky ones in this situation.

In the end, we're all waiting for the same 4.0.4 upgrade. Let the OEMs play with 4.0.3 and let them worry about the bugs while we just play with 4.0.4 and be happy.
    Last edited by Ryuuie; 03-09-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Paul627g and d14racer24 like this.

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

There is no nexus s on Verizon. You have no idea what you're talking about

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

What up ladies and gents lol i FINALLY got my phone and i gotta say WOW THIS A COOL [deleted] PHONE the front camera ain't the but it's still ics worthy imho I really like this phone can't wait till we FINALLY get ics :-)

Last edited by Paul627g; 03-09-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Deleted word.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subnaiyo View Post
    There is no nexus s on Verizon. You have no idea what you're talking about

Um...thank you for pointing out the mistake? It's been fixed.

Thank you Mellimel22...that was AWESOME.

ROM
    stock

Finally. Someone who knows what is going on. Thanks!
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Lol my bad bout the language but I'm just siked bout this phone now just the wait till ics

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

So I finally left the nexus family. It wasn't entirely because of the lack of ice cream sandwich, but that did weigh on my decision to not get the galaxy nexus. The real reason though was that I see the issues Samsung is having the their radios. It's hard to compare mobile signal because I switched to Verizon but I can't tell you I get about double WiFi connection distance and better overall speeds as a result.

I can also say that the ics Roms for the nexus s are much further along than the rezound. I guess I can't say for sure because I haven't uploaded one yet but it looks that way. I am alreaty rooted though. It was just as easy to root my htc rezound as it was my nexus s.

Goodluck. I will be switching my work phone to the nexus s so I will get to complain here still

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Two more none nexus phones got ics today. Not tablets, phones. Just saying.

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    Two more none nexus phones got ics today. Not tablets, phones. Just saying.
    Ok then?

No Nexus phones have had an update since December 2011. ICS has bugs and needs fixing. Who cares that some other phone has ICS? They're using 4.0.3, which is very buggy. The Nexus phones (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Nexus S 4G) are all waiting for 4.0.4 which is not as buggy as 4.0.3.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #150  

What I don't get is that a number of the custom ROMs have had ICS source code for only a few months now and yet, they're all near finished with making them work on the Nexus S 4G. Google has had the source code for MUCH longer than that, yet they still aren't done with ICS for this phone? It's as if they did zero work on it prior to releasing the code.
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast