ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What up ladies and gents lol i FINALLY got my phone and i gotta say WOW THIS A COOL [deleted] PHONE the front camera ain't the but it's still ics worthy imho I really like this phone can't wait till we FINALLY get ics :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I finally left the nexus family. It wasn't entirely because of the lack of ice cream sandwich, but that did weigh on my decision to not get the galaxy nexus. The real reason though was that I see the issues Samsung is having the their radios. It's hard to compare mobile signal because I switched to Verizon but I can't tell you I get about double WiFi connection distance and better overall speeds as a result.

I can also say that the ics Roms for the nexus s are much further along than the rezound. I guess I can't say for sure because I haven't uploaded one yet but it looks that way. I am alreaty rooted though. It was just as easy to root my htc rezound as it was my nexus s.

Goodluck. I will be switching my work phone to the nexus s so I will get to complain here still :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Two more none nexus phones got ics today. Not tablets, phones. Just saying.

Ok then?

No Nexus phones have had an update since December 2011. ICS has bugs and needs fixing. Who cares that some other phone has ICS? They're using 4.0.3, which is very buggy. The Nexus phones (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Nexus S 4G) are all waiting for 4.0.4 which is not as buggy as 4.0.3.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
What I don't get is that a number of the custom ROMs have had ICS source code for only a few months now and yet, they're all near finished with making them work on the Nexus S 4G. Google has had the source code for MUCH longer than that, yet they still aren't done with ICS for this phone? It's as if they did zero work on it prior to releasing the code.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
What I don't get is that a number of the custom ROMs have had ICS source code for only a few months now and yet, they're all near finished with making them work on the Nexus S 4G. Google has had the source code for MUCH longer than that, yet they still aren't done with ICS for this phone? It's as if they did zero work on it prior to releasing the code.

Those custom ROMs are mostly running 4.0.3. That source code is complete, but buggy. The ones using 4.0.4 are using incomplete code that has telephony and kernel issues.

The NS4G can easily use 4.0.3, that's not the point. The point is 4.0.3 is buggy and Google does not feel comfortable putting that out and are working towards finishing the superior 4.0.4.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Those custom ROMs are mostly running 4.0.3. That source code is complete, but buggy. The ones using 4.0.4 are using incomplete code that has telephony and kernel issues.

The NS4G can easily use 4.0.3, that's not the point. The point is 4.0.3 is buggy and Google does not feel comfortable putting that out and are working towards finishing the superior 4.0.4.

4.0.3 is buggy? Really? Been running it since December. Way more bug free than ANY version of Android that I've ever used. Gps works, wifi works, 3g works, 4g works and never a reboot or a hiccup. Most stable Android I've ever seen. Lol

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
4.0.3 is buggy? Really? Been running it since December. Way more bug free than ANY version of Android that I've ever used. Gps works, wifi works, 3g works, 4g works and never a reboot or a hiccup. Most stable Android I've ever seen. Lol

You are running a custom ROM, not an official update of 4.0.3. Your experiences don't represent the majority of users. Most users just want the OTA and don't want to root or mess with ROMs.

That being said, the 4.0.3 official OTA is buggy and if it wasn't, we wouldn't be in the situation that we're in now which is waiting for 4.0.4. Also, the Galaxy Nexus would have 4.0.3, which it does not.

bugz_92

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that they are planning something big, and they must be trying to get all the nexuses to update to the same version at the same time. This is the only logical thinking that would justify Google waiting this long. And it must be worth the wait, if they are holding it up like this. But what is inexcusable is the lack of communication -__-

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that they are planning something big, and they must be trying to get all the nexuses to update to the same version at the same time. This is the only logical thinking that would justify Google waiting this long. And it must be worth the wait, if they are holding it up like this. But what is inexcusable is the lack of communication -__-

The "lack of communication" has been explained by a Google employee on Twitter.

The reason why Google won't release a statement is because there's a chance that someone could read it at the wrong time and assume that it's still relevant. That may sound like half-assed thing to say, but it could mean that they're working so quickly that it has a higher chance of being irrelevant news by the time you read it than normal.

Since none of the Nexus devices have been updated, then it makes sense that they'll all probably get 4.0.4 at the same time, yes. The Nexus S 4G and LTE Galaxy Nexus both have 4.0.4 leaks so it seems like that's what they'll be doing.

yofat004

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS 4.0.5 Coming in March to Nexus S 4G

By your logic, they would have withheld an update for GSM phones then.

I understand the whole issue regarding consumer logic v. business logic. I just don't think your conclusion makes sense in either logic.

At first I was all on board for agreeing with you because Google did push out the GSM update in a decent time frame.. However from all the coverage I've been reading it truly seems like most CDMA, especially U.S. carriers like Sprint & Verizon have a bigger upper hand in the market here whereas many of the GSM carriers overseas can't or don't have some of the rigid practices in their markets.

For example they actually advertise more unbranded or unlocked phones, they don't always force the manufacturers to make silly adjustments to the phone by removing great features in the name of differentiation, or they release the phone months earlier (like the GS2 line).

I remember last year when the HTC Evo Gingerbread/sense update didn't come out until a few weeks before the Evo 3d was released even though the "leaks" & ports released months before were virtually same..& even then it was a crap update so that sales of the 3d wouldn't be affected.

Just a theory but I believe its the exact same situation, which sucks, but is nothing new for us consumers. Sprint wants us resigning contracts for new phones and rushing out buying new hardware no matter what. This shouldn't be so hard to believe with ALL of the things they have changed over the past year or so for us (less early upgrades, less waived fees.. etc). Business is business & I'm rocking Beezy's rom for now..

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I got tired of waitin too so I just went and put that vghomez ics rom and I promise this look and feel like the real ics

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mkozak

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I still don't see how people can defend Google on this. They have 2 phones that are getting ICS and they cant get 1 of them upgraded. This is ridiculous. I bought my Nexus S specifically so I could get ICS. That was about 3 months ago around the time the Galaxy Nexus was released. The biggest draw to the Nexus phones for a lot of people WAS that you would get updates with no delay. And now we have OEM's getting ICS before us. This is nuts and does ZERO for consumer confidence in Google's ability to get their hardware updated. And rooting is not the answer for everyone so please dont reply with that. I've run plenty of custom ROMS and the inconsistency of the functionality between roms is why I have lost interest in it and i flat out got tired of wiping my phone. I will say I also run a iPhone 3GS with the newest version of iOS on it and it definitely doesnt run as good as it does on the more powerful 4 and 4S but the one thing I like about Apple is they hold their cards until they are ready to play them. Google should have at least given some kind of expected time window regarding the update but honestly I feel like they have no confidence in the fact that they can successfully roll out this update.