Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: [ICS][NS4G]Official Nexus S 4G ICS/Android 4.0.4 Update

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyInNC View Post
    I've tried this, but have had zero luck.

Running stock GB and not rooted.
    If you want it right away, just do the download via the posted URL. I'm not a rooter but went ahead and it worked great for me.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I'm sorry if this has been said somewhere already, but I tried looking through this thread and I couldn't find anything.

I do the volup+power, and I get to the bootloader. Once I select recovery, it goes into the CWM Recovery, but what I'm wanting is the default android one correct? How do I get around this?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #153  

Quote Originally Posted by jpirog View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been said somewhere already, but I tried looking through this thread and I couldn't find anything.

I do the volup+power, and I get to the bootloader. Once I select recovery, it goes into the CWM Recovery, but what I'm wanting is the default android one correct? How do I get around this?
    Then you are rooted.

You have a choice or two to make..

1. Keep your data/settings by making backups with Titanium or My Backup Root, return to stock/unroot and then update to ICS and finally root again and restore your data/settings. Note.. If you do this route make sure you backup your sdcard or just the Titanium/My Backup Root folders to your computer before you unroot & restore to stock so it doesn't get wiped. Then after updating to ICS pull that info back from your computer to sdcard.

2. Forget about your data/settings and just return to stock/unroot and do the update.

3. There was one person I read about saying you can use CWM to flash the file by changing it from "update.zip" to "recovery.sh!". Not positive if this works but you can try, either it will flash or it won't.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Gnuf View Post
    Remember folks: You will lose root!
    Not if u manual update

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'm not going to look through a ton of replies so I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive, but I just got the update pushed through Sprint so it can't be that far behind for everyone else. Loving it so far! I'm noticing a lot of changes that look a lot like my old beloved palm pre. Nice going!
    If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I used cwm to Install the update manually

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1369 View Post
    I'm having a problem getting the ICS update, either via OTA or my the manual method outlined in the first post in the thread. Hopefully someone can help me out . . . .

When I try to use the manual method I get the following error when ClockworkMod Recovery attempts to execute the update.zip file: "assert failed: apply_patch_check: /system/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so" Installation aborted."

In the past I had applied Pete's CRESPO4GTETHERFIX to my phone and I'm pretty sure that the fix replaced my original libsec-ril.so file with a new one and this is messing up the update process.

Is there anyway I can fix this and get my phone up to ICS 4.0.4?? If I have to lose the tether fix to get ICS then so be it.

Thanks for any help and suggestions . . .
    I have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Okay got it for ya...

1. Make a Nandroid Backup if your rooted and then pull the ClockWorkMod folder off your sdcard and place it on your computer for later.

2. If your not rooted and simply running the leaked ICS 4.0.4 then use this to backup your data/settings... [BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

3. Use this to return to stock [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

4. Then update to official ICS 4.0.4 and restore your backup either by rooting and reinstalling CWM/using your old Nandroid Backup (do a data restore only) or using the BWM described above in #2.
    BTW, the Backup Wonder Machine works great. I was having issues trying to restore data from my rooted backup of MyBackup Pro. But I had made a backup using BWM and it restored everything, including most of the icons (but not widgets) on my home screens verbatim. Now I can take my time in unlocking and re-rooting as I'm hoping the GNEX will be out soon and I will give my Nexus S 4G to my wife.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I used cwm to Install the update manually

If the ROM is unrooted, then I thought you do lose root. You're unlocked still, but last update I had to re-root. It just seems there are a lot of people that aren't as experienced in rooting using this update, and I wanted to warn them.

ROM
    Stock Sense 3.6 ICS 4.0.3

Is there a rooted version of this or one in the works? I installed the last leak of 4.0.4 7 days ago as an update (changed file name to update.zip). This OTA is only for people already on gingerbread, so i cant use that option, and Mybackup Pro hasnt fixed the problem with backing up market links since the Google Play Store update, so i cant go through that option.

any help?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #161  

Quote Originally Posted by vincentallen2 View Post
    Is there a rooted version of this or one in the works? I installed the last leak of 4.0.4 7 days ago as an update (changed file name to update.zip). This OTA is only for people already on gingerbread, so i cant use that option, and Mybackup Pro hasnt fixed the problem with backing up market links since the Google Play Store update, so i cant go through that option.

any help?
    I haven't seen any stock custom ROMs build off this yet. Most custom ROMs updated their builds to support the new 4.0.4 code when official source was released by Google a week or two ago.
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Charmeleon Rom 5.0.0

It's awesome to see this update finally out and official! I'm sadly running into some issues installing it, and if anyone would care to help it would be much appreciated.

My GF has the Nexus S 4G and the update was pushed to her OTA today. She's totally stock GB; locked bootloader, but still rooted. Anyways, when the phone reboots to install the update (after receiving the update notification), the phone just hangs at the yellow triangle recovery screen until you press Power + VolUp. When the actual installation process begins, it is aborted right afterwords. The phone (which is using stock recovery, btw) gives a "Status 7" error, complaining about the system app "thinkfree.apk". M'lady removed the Thinkfree Office bloatware app with Titanium Backup long ago, and it appears that this is preventing the update from installing.

Is there any way I can get thinkfree.apk back on the phone and re-installed? I really hope I can get this installed without having to do a wipe back to stock; it would suck to lose everything.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #163  

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerskew View Post
    It's awesome to see this update finally out and official! I'm sadly running into some issues installing it, and if anyone would care to help it would be much appreciated.

My GF has the Nexus S 4G and the update was pushed to her OTA today. She's totally stock GB; locked bootloader, but still rooted. Anyways, when the phone reboots to install the update (after receiving the update notification), the phone just hangs at the yellow triangle recovery screen until you press Power + VolUp. When the actual installation process begins, it is aborted right afterwords. The phone (which is using stock recovery, btw) gives a "Status 7" error, complaining about the system app "thinkfree.apk". M'lady removed the Thinkfree Office bloatware app with Titanium Backup long ago, and it appears that this is preventing the update from installing.

Is there any way I can get thinkfree.apk back on the phone and re-installed? I really hope I can get this installed without having to do a wipe back to stock; it would suck to lose everything.
    Okay.. So she has a locked bootloader and stock recovery. I take it she originally installed SU to remove some bloatware and in the process used to obtain root it didn't make CWM recovery stick during the rooting process.

Let me ask, is it still bootable into GB?

If so, does it still have functioning Superuser/root? For example if you download Titanium Backup from the Market (Free) and install it does it ask for Superuser permission at startup (signaling you have root access)?

If she does still have root, then you can do the following....

1. Install Mybackup Root (I suggest this being more user friendly than Titanium Backup). Make a full backup of app (apks & data).
    2. Make sure you export contacts list to sdcard (just incase)
    3. Pull the contacts list exported off your sdcard along with the REWARE (MyBackup Root folder) to your computer.
    4. You will have to unroot the device [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g
    5. Now you can get the OTA or manually update to ICS.
    6. Root it again [Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)
    7. Then pull back those files you saved on your computer to your sdcard and reinstall MyBackup Root.
    8. Then redownload her apps, then use MyBackup Root to restore (data only) to those apps. Reason being data only is some apps have changed since GB and those apps won't run properly on ICS.

That should be it, she will be updated and have her apps & data back.. Only thing she will have to toy with a bit is some basic system settings but that is a given being a new OS anyways...

This is really the only way to save her data because with her bootloader locked we can't put CWM recovery back (to flash the missing files) on her device without unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the device.

That is why we do suggest if you ever do unlock your device, even if you leave it stock-rooted to leave the bootloader unlocked.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ROM
    Charmeleon Rom 5.0.0

Yeah, luckily the phone still boots into GB perfectly fine, SU and all. She did a full backup in Titanium Backup right when the news hit that 4.0.4 was official and coming OTA. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one were to perform an "app + data" restore of an ICS-incompatible app with TB?

Thanks a ton for the quick and thorough answer; that's exactly what I needed to know. And yeah, having the bootloader unlocked would've definitely been ideal, but back when she got the phone I was ignorant and kind-of assumed that a Nexus phone would have an unlocked bootloader out of the box like my Epic did.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

How can i reroot after the update???

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #166  

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    How can i reroot after the update???

[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)
    Paul

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #167  

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerskew View Post
    Yeah, luckily the phone still boots into GB perfectly fine, SU and all. She did a full backup in Titanium Backup right when the news hit that 4.0.4 was official and coming OTA. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one were to perform an "app + data" restore of an ICS-incompatible app with TB?

Thanks a ton for the quick and thorough answer; that's exactly what I needed to know. And yeah, having the bootloader unlocked would've definitely been ideal, but back when she got the phone I was ignorant and kind-of assumed that a Nexus phone would have an unlocked bootloader out of the box like my Epic did.
    Well an incompatible app would crash/fc....

So I would redownload the apps manually and then restore data only using TB.

To make the process easier, if she was to log into the Google Play Store (Market) online via computer you can see her download history for the NS4G and then select which apps you need to re download right from there... Makes the process a bit easier than looking them up on the phone 1 x 1...
    Paul

ICS is quite sluggish sometimes....
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #169  

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMcJoe View Post
    ICS is quite sluggish sometimes....
    Give your device time to settle in... It should improve after a while... This is the fastest ICS has ran (stock) and is on par or better than stock GB from what most are saying.
    Paul

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

So can I take screen shots or no now? Cus I can't seem to find out if I can or not? I pressed the volume up + power button like I've seen in the video but nothing happened
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #171  

Quote Originally Posted by jezer29 View Post
    So can I take screen shots or no now? Cus I can't seem to find out if I can or not? I pressed the volume up + power button like I've seen in the video but nothing happened
    Volume down and power, hold for a few seconds
    Paul

Thanked by:
    mkhall 

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Volume down and power, hold for a few seconds
    Thank you Paul.. Much respect
    Thanked by:

I got the ics update already this ics is tight no bugs everything work 100% no tech problems thank Google n sprint for the ics update Android 4.0.4 ns4g

Just curious, I remember that on the GN homescreen you could put it into portrait mode, is there a specific reason you cant with NS4G ICS?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Love it, I have been waiting too long for this to come! Several things I see that are still just not right, and I hope G is listening as these are some major shortcomings.

1. The stock Messaging app does not allow you to type a txt longer than 180 characters. Every phone I have had in the last 5 years would just split the message into 2 or more messages. This is a MAJOR system flaw that has been present since I got my phone in Sept (I came from a Palm Pre)! My WinMo 5.0 phone also split messages way back in the day.
    2. In the People app you can not set up a contact as your profile. I already have a contact for myself, so I can beam it to other people and all that, and I should be able to select one instead of creating a new contact!
    3. Auto brightness does not seem to work like it use to, am I missing something?
    4. Encrypt phone, can only use PIN or password, why can't a pattern be used? Why can we not set a separate encryption password from our lock screen password. Set it up like a root admin with my Linux laptop? I am a bit of a security nut so I do like having the option of encrypting the phone.
    5. The Google search bar at the top of the home screen, why does it open an app window when I click on it BEFORE I type anything? Why can't this work like Universal Search/Just Type on webOS?
    6. Notifications have been rearranged and I don't like the new layout. I have WeatherBug and it use to be the top notification, now it is on the bottom!!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast