[ICS][NS4G]Official Nexus S 4G ICS/Android 4.0.4 Update

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So, best way to return to stock 2.3.7? Im on leaked IMM76D and can reroot later if I need to. How to relock? or do I need to relock? And I also need to preserve data in doing so. Thanks

Okay got it for ya...

1. Make a Nandroid Backup if your rooted and then pull the ClockWorkMod folder off your sdcard and place it on your computer for later.

2. If your not rooted and simply running the leaked ICS 4.0.4 then use this to backup your data/settings... [BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

3. Use this to return to stock [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

4. Then update to official ICS 4.0.4 and restore your backup either by rooting and reinstalling CWM/using your old Nandroid Backup (do a data restore only) or using the BWM described above in #2.

Reactions: kbboykin

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are on the leaked version I would not bother. The leaked version is the same as the OTA. The hash matches.
Yes, but we still haven't confirmed 100% that the leak will allow future OTA updates.

That still remains a mystery until that day comes...

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
All I gotta say is, wow, so far, this new GUI is slick!! Fast transitions, and after the intiial bootup jitters, this thing is running so much smoother than Gingerbread.

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
Can't use CWM (ClockWorkMod) to flash.. Need to revert to GB 2.3.7 with stock recovery.

Still have an issue, I think it may come from the tether kernel fix I got from rom manager, as I get an "assert failed: apply_patch_check("system/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so" error

will retry the update download - it's either that or the kernel

Last edited:

elias0441

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or my 3g and wifi signals got weakened after the update... Also getting lower download speeds....

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Still have an issue, I think it may come from the tether kernel fix I got from rom manager, as I get an "assert failed: apply_patch_check("system/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so" error

will retry the update download - it's either that or the kernel
It will be the kernel in that case...

Once you change the kernel from stock, your no longer "stock"... So that is why its failing..

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Am I supposed to force a reboot following this manual install? I followed the instructions. At the bottom of my screen is says: "Install from sdcard complete." At the top I appear to have the option to "reboot system now" but I don't want to hit anything unless I am supposed to. I thought from the instructions that it would automatically reboot into ICS? The screen has been in this state unchanged for approx. 5 minutes.

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Am I supposed to force a reboot following this manual install? I followed the instructions. At the bottom of my screen is says: "Install from sdcard complete." At the top I appear to have the option to "reboot system now" but I don't want to hit anything unless I am supposed to. I thought from the instructions that it would automatically reboot into ICS? The screen has been in this state unchanged for approx. 5 minutes.

I decided to force the manual reboot, and it appears to be working. Cool new animations are appearing!

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay got it for ya...

1. Make a Nandroid Backup if your rooted and then pull the ClockWorkMod folder off your sdcard and place it on your computer for later.

2. If your not rooted and simply running the leaked ICS 4.0.4 then use this to backup your data/settings... [BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

3. Use this to return to stock [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

4. Then update to official ICS 4.0.4 and restore your backup either by rooting and reinstalling CWM/using your old Nandroid Backup (do a data restore only) or using the BWM described above in #2.

Thanks much. I may just return to stock and reinstall the Touch version of CWM. then reroot and restore.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much. I may just return to stock and reinstall the Touch version of CWM. then reroot and restore.
Sounds good to me...

I haven't tried the Touch version of CWM.. One of these days.. Got hooked on TWRP recovery and never looked elsewhere..