Google Play not installing

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Strange issue of my stock Nexus S. I get prompted to accept the new terms and service agreement for the Google Play store but the app never upgrades and I still have version 3.4.4 of the android market. I have cleared the data and cache for the market and can always get to the new terms of service but no upgrade. I do have the Google Play Music and Books and have tried to get the the play store through these apps but always get sent to the Market. I even did a factory reset since I don't have much on my phone yet. Any ideas on how to force the app to do the changeover.

Thanks in advance.

jtexans

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Delete the Market icon on your phone. The new icon's name is "Play Store". I thought I had this problem as well.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Clear data and uninstall all updates via Settings-->Manage Apps

Then restart and open the Market. It SHOULD tell you it's updating then. That's how I got mine to show up. The Market icon went away on its own.

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I cleared the data and unistalled all updates and then restarted. The phone updated the market and gave me the Google Play terms and service to agree to but I still have Android Market 3.4.4 and not Google Play 3.4.6. I do not even have a Google Play icon in my app drawer. Strange issue on this phone. My friend has the same phone and no problem on his and all that is running on this is stock programs.

zinfer

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here as vg7702. Stock Nexus S. version2.3.6 I9020A. I did recieve the Play Books app that kept crashing until I downloaded a book from the Google play store(?) now it works, but my old market apps icon still shows when I am in the store and in my apps collection as well. I have also cleared all the data, rebooted etc. still no change, still shows as 3.4.4 hmmm strange. Any suggestions other than above?

nexus4ever

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Try clearing data and uninstalling updates and the checkin trick then relaunch app. That's what finally got it to work for me.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I cleared the data and unistalled all updates and then restarted. The phone updated the market and gave me the Google Play terms and service to agree to but I still have Android Market 3.4.4 and not Google Play 3.4.6. I do not even have a Google Play icon in my app drawer. Strange issue on this phone. My friend has the same phone and no problem on his and all that is running on this is stock programs.

When I said "restart" I meant to say turn phone off then reboot. I don't know if that really makes a difference...but just unintalling updates and restarting the app didn't do anything for me. I actually turned it off, pulled the battery for a minute then restarted and it worked.

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I did turn the phone off and restart to no avail when I uninstalled the market updates. I have tried this now with the checkin command and still no dice. Maybe this update wasn't meant for me or will all be fixed once ICS finally drops.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It updated for me on my previous oICS ROM and now isn't doing it on Pete's ROM.

Gotta ask though...is the icon really bothering you that much? None of the functionality is any different.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I don't see anything crazy in the update code.
@Chud I can't get mine to update either on Pete's ROM. It shows me to accept but that's it.
Not a big deal.

:::Update::::: I cleared data, uninstalled updates. Then I rebooted.
After a fresh reboot I clicked on the market. It brought me to accept or decline.
I accepted. I closed out of the app. waited for a minute and checked my app drawer.
Play Store was there.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinfer

heclaboy82

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried to update by doing force close and clearing cache and uninstalling updates, it brought me back to market version 2.3.4. I can't access the music store through the market either. I tried reboot and also the checkin trick, nothing is working

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried to update by doing force close and clearing cache and uninstalling updates, it brought me back to market version 2.3.4. I can't access the music store through the market either. I tried reboot and also the checkin trick, nothing is working

I've ran into a similar issue before. Just download an app or update one and let it install.l and exit the Market. After a little bit go back into it and you see this.

63cebaff-5cac-3b6b.jpg
Of course your font will be different. :p

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

zinfer

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Skinneejay. Got it to update after your advise of closing out of the app after accepting. Thanks all for your suggestions - appreciate it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
The update is for ICS devices only. The most current one is 3.4.7 which came out today with bug fixes.

The update from Android Market to Google Play Store is for 2.2+ phones. this includes everything except Eclair and below.

The 3.4.7 update is for any device, or at least it works on my Nexus S 4G running 2.3.7.

chris mart

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
8th of march my phone market app updated, but yesterday i uninstall its updates, today it again automatically updated to "Play store". Wait for few days it will update.