How get ICS homescreen to rotate landscape?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You could always try the Nova launcher (which looks almost exactly like the stock ICS launcher) that supports it.

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've read all over the place that it can't, it's not supported, etc... And then all of a sudden, mine did it, was 'stuck' like that for about 5 minutes, and went back to normal when I hit the menu button. at first I thought I was imagining things, so I actually called my wife into the room to see it with her own eyes.

No idea what happened to it to make it happen though... I had opened Netflix, then hit the home button while bobbling the phone in my hand. It went to the home screen, and even flipped vertically several times back and forth. The 'bottom' row of home page icons stayed at that end of the phone, and the search bar stayed at the 'top' of the phone, but the apps on the home screens were turned together 90 degrees, and scrolled from side to side (or technically top to bottom... A side swipe from the charger to the earpiece moved the screen... Make sense?)

Best I can come up with is that Netflix hung up a process and held the screen like that for some odd reason... I have not been able to replicate the situation, so I'm assuming it was a glitch. A cool glitch IMHO, but a glitch none the less...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Nova Launcher

42576dd1-fb29-d268.jpg

/Tapatalker

likeahoss

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My stock 4.0.4 RAZR MAXX only rotates to landscape when it's in my office or car dock. Seems logical for it to rotate any time I desire it to, but apparently that function is locked in at the programming level so a third-party app or mod is necessary.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have the Samsung dock station you get landscape as soon as its docked.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I've got that problem myself, the desk dock worked in portrait mode until I upgraded to ICS. Personally I want to prevent my phone from ever going into landscape mode since the only use for it is videos which I rarely watch.

bun00b

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the same thing with my Nexus when I opened an app, then I pressed home and suddenly my home screen was in landscape. I could even move between screens. I guess Google is just being an ass and doesn't unlock it at stock. I thought ahead and took a screenshot: Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire
Although it isn't adjusted, I was indeed in landscape. But the easiest solution has already been mentioned, download Nova or something.

micheluccio

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Same effect here: suddenly my home screen was in landscape on Nexus S with
stock JellyBean and it worked very well. If I only knew how to reproduce it without
Nova or Apex. After a reboot the landcsape'd home screens were gone :(

Toni Hahn

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Scroll down the top black bar of you4 phone screen where it shows updates and such. A scrolling top menu will allow an option for you to enable landscape

ph0zz

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've found two apps that work for rotating the home screen. The simplest (free and no ads) is Rotation Locker by madmack (note that for Auto mode to work properly you need to long-press it). There's also the ad supported Screen Rotation Control by jubo co (no long press needed). Enjoy :)

Roccy

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Rotation Locker is working great with my LG Intuition - thanks for the tip! I could not believe at first that the phone would not rotate the home screens while doing the individual apps just fine - kept checking the settings for auto rotation. My son's Galaxy S3 is the same way, but he does not care since he does not use widgets showing text as I do for calendar and mail.

Then I thought it was something specific to ICS, but remembered my Archos G9 80 tablet (same 1024x768 resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio as the Intuition, just bigger) is running ICS, and rotates the home screens just fine, so I had no clue from that any other device would be different.

Very annoying since running the Rotation Locker app to fix such a flaw takes another 28MB of RAM - makes me wonder a bit what else it could be doing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22