ICS Bugs after your upgrade?

RaiderInExile

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thought I would chime in with some of the issues I'm seeing:

Like everyone else, the battery life is terrible. I do have a back up battery and chargers everywhere but I can see this being a problem when I travel. I could never get a full day on GB but there are times when I'm down to 35-40% by 11am just with making voice calls, email, checking twitter and other general business day activities. For comparison sake, with the same activity I was usually at about 60-65% by the time lunch rolled around when using GB.

My main issue is the stock messaging app. I'm constantly having text messages fail to send. A couple of mms messages I've received won't download. But the sending to fail is happening all the time. To the point where it is unacceptable.

The other issue I'm having is the bluetooth in my car. Previous android versions synced up my address book with no problems but ICS pops up a notification every time I turn on the car saying that the car is requesting to download the phone book. Even if I approve it (and check the box saying never to ask again) it flashes a message that it failed. Every time. Now, the bluetooth is connected and I can make calls - but the voice control in my car is rendered useless as I can no longer just tell it to call XXX or by letting me know who is calling when the phone rings.

mizofizo

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've found that when I did the original update that some of my music files wouldn't update the album info and I noticed that the Mediaserver process was taking up a large percentage my battery life. I removed all of the local music and that seemed to help a lot. I also turned off photo syncing from my google account and that has also helped greatly. I'm now seeing battery life almost similar to what I had with GB.

For those of you who are having really fast battery drain, have you reset to stock via recovery and waited a few days for everything to sync and settle?

elyfant422

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I can only get a 4g signal when I turn 4g off and on. Shouldn't it automatically connect with 4g on? Example I live in an area with 4g but work outside that area. When I come back home it will only connect if I toggle 4g off and on. Anyone else notice this?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Strangely, I don't seem to be having the battery issues others are reporting. (knock wood) However, every few hours I get the message that android.process.media has stopped working.

A web search turned up quite a few reports on this process blowing chunks, but it seems to only happen to rooted devices. However, I'm using a completely stock NS4G, never been rooted, only got the update OTA last week.

Any clues?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else getting a HUGE delay getting the home screen to show up after hitting the home button? At first i thought it was the nova launcher, but changing the default to standard launcher doesn't help. There are times when it's almost a minute before the home screen appears with all the icons and widgets.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else getting a HUGE delay getting the home screen to show up after hitting the home button? At first i thought it was the nova launcher, but changing the default to standard launcher doesn't help. There are times when it's almost a minute before the home screen appears with all the icons and widgets.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have seen this before. Never a min but maybe a couple of seconds. I am running pete's Bugless Beast ROM and its in there. I only get it after using Chrome with couple of tabs open. Its diffidently a memory issues.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have seen this before. Never a min but maybe a couple of seconds. I am running pete's Bugless Beast ROM and its in there. I only get it after using Chrome with couple of tabs open. Its diffidently a memory issues.

Agreed. I get this too after using chrome. Went back to stock browser and it doesn't do it anymore.

aponteg22

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
1) Battery life is definitely worse. I can only get about 5 hours of screen time maximum, which by all accounts, is about an hour less than what I had on Gingerbread. With 2 hours of screen time, I was able to get about 11 hours on maximum charge. The stock browser and Chrome are battery hogs, and the higher amount of RAM being used for ICS is probably also contributing to the lower battery life.

2) Whether on the stock browser or Chrome, it seems to kill the home screen, which takes several seconds to load up when I leave the app. Stock browser also kills my Google Music app when I'm listening to it and browsing at the same time, on occasion. Reboots have only occurred so far while in the browser app.

3) The app drawer does lag a bit. Scrolling on the Youtube app is a bit laggy as well.

4) The screen flashes green when I turn off the screen, which only happened on Gingerbread when you press the power button on, then off, consecutively (very quickly). Seems like the CRT animation isn't quite synced to the screen actually turning off.

5) Generally, everything loads up a little more slowly then on Gingerbread. The rotation animation is also pretty slow, but the rotation time feels similar to Gingerbread's.

6) Wifi connection seems to slip in and out every so often. 3g doesn't seem much better than while on Gingerbread, though what can you expect from Sprint's horrible speeds.

Most of these can be attributed to the hardware limitations of the device. Otherwise, I love ICS. Everything is generally smoother. 512 MB of RAM is definitely cutting it close to stability, though.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why but I'm really thinking about windows phone. Well see what happens when 8 comes out and android 5.0. I like what Google is doing and even if I went to windows I'd still use my Google service; but, Android still isn't mature enough and has too many bugs sometimes.

Maybe windows does too. But I don't know. Lol.

flavinator

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The normal should be easily 8-10 hrs.. There are some key tips to good battery management.

Social media/email try and limit the amount or how frequently it polls for updates

Display, turn off auto brightness. This is a big killer because its constantly adjusting your screen brightness.. Most run at around 25% indoors and a little higher in bright light like outside.

4g... Don't turn it on from Settings unless you really need it.. Again.. Radio cycling on and off from 3g/4g is a big killer.... Plus 4g if you do get the signal is a huge battery killer..

Custom Widgets on your home screen.. Yes they are nice but again, they normally are hitting the net to update the content on them so its hitting the battery hard.

Those are some of the most common areas to look at for improving battery.

Also like anything new, your update to ICS will take a few hours maybe a day to settle in. A few shut down's and reboots usually help.. Worst case situation some end up doing a factory reset but I wouldn't go that far just yet.

eck to see what you have running possibly in the background.. Some apps or something that might be munching battery.

dea?

Can you show me visually what 25% screen brightness looks like on the brightness bar, so I can get a better idea?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
dea?

Can you show me visually what 25% screen brightness looks like on the brightness bar, so I can get a better idea?

I could show you a screenshot but honestly since its a guessing game I just divide the bar up on screen into 1/4 th segments.... I try to keep mine as low as possible, for general usage like email, texting, as long as I can see the text I really don't need a bright screen... Comes time to surf the web or play some Angry Birds or Temple Run then I give it a little juice to enjoy the colors... I never find myself over half way unless I'm outside in direct sunlight trying to read something...

flavinator

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I could show you a screenshot but honestly since its a guessing game I just divide the bar up on screen into 1/4 th segments.... I try to keep mine as low as possible, for general usage like email, texting, as long as I can see the text I really don't need a bright screen... Comes time to surf the web or play some Angry Birds or Temple Run then I give it a little juice to enjoy the colors... I never find myself over half way unless I'm outside in direct sunlight trying to read something...

Does that seem to work for good battery life, mine is not horrible like ive been hearing, but the more I can save the better?

flavinator

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

And what kind of percentage battery usage do you get the end of the day because on auto I usually get around 28%?

jimijames

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
My battery was great over the weekend.. but I spent most of my time on wifi. Normal email, facebook, words, camera, etc. I was ending the day with 40ish %.

However, it seems like battery life is significantly less on 3G. This morning at work (no wifi), I started streaming radio time with about 85% battery. My battery info app showed approx 2 hrs remaining! I used to get 3-4hrs on gingerbread...still pathetic, but better than ICS. Needless to say, I plug it in if I'm doing any streaming over 3G. On weekdays, when I spend more time on 3G, if I unplug at 10AM, I'm usually down to 25-30% at 10PM... compare that to my weekend stats above, and I think 3G is the main culprit.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery was great over the weekend.. but I spent most of my time on wifi. Normal email, facebook, words, camera, etc. I was ending the day with 40ish %.

However, it seems like battery life is significantly less on 3G. This morning at work (no wifi), I started streaming radio time with about 85% battery. My battery info app showed approx 2 hrs remaining! I used to get 3-4hrs on gingerbread...still pathetic, but better than ICS. Needless to say, I plug it in if I'm doing any streaming over 3G. On weekdays, when I spend more time on 3G, if I unplug at 10AM, I'm usually down to 25-30% at 10PM... compare that to my weekend stats above, and I think 3G is the main culprit.

Yeah...at home I turn 3G off and turn wifi on and can make it through the whole day easy. At work I don't have wifi access, so I leave 3G on and usually have to plug in by 3:30 or 4 (not because I'm out, but because I'm down in the low 20%s...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki