Enabling ICS OTA Update

avalpert

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a rooted Nexus S 4G with the stock rom but a different kernel and CWM recovery. I have received the OTA update for ICS but can't install it. I was wondering what I can do to go back to stock kernel and stock recovery to install the OTA update so I don't have to wipe all my data and worry about that.

Is it possible? Where are the stock kernel files and how do I do the recovery?

Thanks.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You could have and still should just manually flash the ROM. If you install that update you'll lose root.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a rooted Nexus S 4G with the stock rom but a different kernel and CWM recovery. I have received the OTA update for ICS but can't install it. I was wondering what I can do to go back to stock kernel and stock recovery to install the OTA update so I don't have to wipe all my data and worry about that.

Is it possible? Where are the stock kernel files and how do I do the recovery?

Thanks.
Your one of many asking the same thing... Finding the stock kernel to flash has been quite a task, I don't even think anyone ever made up a stock kernel to flash in all honesty.

As far as the CWM recovery, you could take advantage of what you have being rooted and use Titanium or My Backup Root to save all your apps & data. Then pull those folders off your sdcard to computer.
Then [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

Next grab the update or use the updated package in the unroot thread above to get on ICS 4.0.4, root once again and then pull your back up files off your computer back to sdcard and reinstall Titanium or MyBackup and restore DATA ONLY after redownloading the apps.

Little bit of work but when you think of loosing your data its worth the little extra work.

Edit/Update: FYI,

We MIGHT have a flashable of GB v2.3.7 stock kernel available later tonight to help you out.

Last edited: