Android OS is eating my battery!

evilhugbear

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

For the past few days my phones battery has been dying at around 4 P.M. I checked to see what was using my battery, and Android OS is using 39% when normally it would be less than 5. Keep awake time was 3h 40m 9s.

Has anyone had this issue? I'm running ICS with matrix CFS.

evilhugbear

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Lulzactive
200/1300
Deep Idle ON
70% INC CPU Load
Pump up step: 2
Pump down: 3
Screen off min step: 7@100MHz
Up Sample time: 20000 (Stock)
Down Sample time: 35000 (Lowered)

Mildly undervolted, no crashes though :p

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
my wife's phone is experiencing the same problem. Everything is stock, just noticed it since the ICS update. Any clues what it could be?

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is having the same issue. Stock ICS. I didn't even notice it the first week. It really seems like it has just become an issue in the last few days. Not sure that makes sense but...sure seems that way.

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea. Its a known fact that battery life has been horrible since the ICS update. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

Go Bucs!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have to say the same... I'm getting at least 10+ hrs on a heavy day and double or better on medium to light usage days....

Again running custom ROM with kernel but my kernel setting is 100-1000 On Demand nothing else tweaked so I can't say its the kernel making miracles happen. ROM's themselves don't really improve battery life in major ways.

I think the battery life issue has been both sides of the coin.... For me 4.0.3 and lower was poor battery life, once 4.0.4 source was released and they built off that I noticed immediate better battery.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
The only times ive seen issues with my phone is when the browser is synching. goto accounts and sych and disable it and battery life becomes 10x better.

just my 2 cents

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
light usage-no phone use, email sync on, read email 2x, used browser 2x. Basically on standby except for syncs. 10 hrs. battery died. Substantial Android OS usage. This is new to my phone since ICS. Never had the greatest battery life but as Paul said, light usage days like the one I detailed could get me 18-20 hrs. If it is inconsistent amongst users maybe it is in the settings somewhere. I will keep looking.

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The only times ive seen issues with my phone is when the browser is synching. goto accounts and sych and disable it and battery life becomes 10x better.

just my 2 cents

Are you saying to disable all syncs? If you are saying to disable the browser syncing I am not sure what you mean. I don't want to disable my email syncs. That is part of the reason I have a smartphone. It also was not an issue 2 weeks ago so if that is the problem then it is a legit ICS issue and should be fixed. Don't get me wrong, I know that syncing accounts and such creates battery drain and I am not expecting 3 days or even 24 hours of battery life. What I am saying is that since I have updated to ICS, Android System and Android OS contribute significantly to battery drain and my battery life is much shorter.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Mine is also having the battery issue. Definitely lasts less time and the OS is a larger % than under gingerbread

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the Facebook app destroys battery life with ICS. after it is used, it prevents the phone from sleeping ever...even after it is force stopped. it takes a reboot to clear its effects. i dont recall it doing with in GB

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
the Facebook app destroys battery life with ICS. after it is used, it prevents the phone from sleeping ever...even after it is force stopped. it takes a reboot to clear its effects. i dont recall it doing with in GB

Don't have a Nexus but FB uses like 15-20% of my total battery usage on GB.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note.

nismospec

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
same issue for me, OS is always #1 culprit. haven't figured it out, but something isn't letting the phone sleep. like others have said in the battery problems since ICS thread, the phone stays hot even when asleep (which means it isn't sleeping). so i think the phone gets hot, then that is the reason why it decides to reboot time and time again.

frustrating since nothing has been added to my phone since GB, so it does appear to be something with ICS, but can't prove it yet.

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
He didn't say all sync's just the browser. I know you own a smart phone but do your really need the sync all he bookmarks from the browser on your PC to your phone? (note this option is NEW in ICS)

I sync 4 Calendars, Contacts, Currents, Gmail, Music, Google+ and Wallet.
I also have Latitude running

Are you saying to disable all syncs? If you are saying to disable the browser syncing I am not sure what you mean. I don't want to disable my email syncs. That is part of the reason I have a smartphone. It also was not an issue 2 weeks ago so if that is the problem then it is a legit ICS issue and should be fixed. Don't get me wrong, I know that syncing accounts and such creates battery drain and I am not expecting 3 days or even 24 hours of battery life. What I am saying is that since I have updated to ICS, Android System and Android OS contribute significantly to battery drain and my battery life is much shorter.

steraser

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
He didn't say all sync's just the browser. I know you own a smart phone but do your really need the sync all he bookmarks from the browser on your PC to your phone? (note this option is NEW in ICS)

I sync 4 Calendars, Contacts, Currents, Gmail, Music, Google+ and Wallet.
I also have Latitude running

Could you please tell me where the browser sync setting is? When I go to "accounts and sync" as the previous poster said, I do not see anything related to the browser.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. It was already disabled so that is not the problem. I will keep tweaking settings. Something is different and causing the issue.

Last edited:

hungryhippo69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
ever since my nexus 4g updated to stock ics, most, if not all, apps need to be forced stopped singularly to stop them. holding down the "home" button and clearing your recently used apps doesnt do anything, looking in app settings>apps running doesnt show any of them running. you have to look at each app separately and force stop it. i charge my phone all night everynight, and it actually died today around 2pm, i booted the phone up at 8:30am and did a couple texts THATS IT. there are some games/apps that i havent even used since updating to ics that i have to force stop them everyday.... wtf....

i am so unhappy with this phone and with sprint service at this point (and for a while) i am very interested in ending my contract early (not even a year) and going to verizon for the maxx. this is not how a smart phone experience should be, and sprint has such shtty towers i dont know why they are even contenders in the wireless game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams