1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default micro usb issue.. Software or hardware?

ICS is ticking me off enough as it is lately, but now I have an issue with charging that I think might be software related.

I was charging my cell phone at my desk today, and it got to the 55% or so range and stopped charging.. The charge icon just changed to a regular battery indicator, so I tried re-seating the micro-usb on each end (on my USB port as well as on the phone's micro USB port).. Could not get it to change to charging mode to save my life.

So I decided to shut the phone down completely, and right after the reboot, it was in charging mode again.

Does this sound like something going wrong with the hardware or could this be something with the ICS upgrade that I applied when it first came out (the stock one).

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Default Re: micro usb issue.. Software or hardware?

Hardware. Are you using a generic USB cord?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've had this happen with several chargers.. The generic USB cable connected to my PC, my car charger (Verizon brand), my home charger that is a Samsung brand, and others. Though I don't know what you mean by generic- most micro-usb cables are "generic" unless they're not the ones that came with the phone.. That doesn't mean that some of them aren't of the same quality as the Samsung one.

I've Googled the issue (keywords "charging problem ics") and others have had similar problems, with other brands of phones.

I'm starting to think that ICS is more particular about the cables that are connected to it, whereas GB didn't care.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

I've had to use the Samsung or my old Palm Pre cable on my PC at work b/c it wouldn't recognize the phone if I used the generic, cheapo cable.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
    ...I'm starting to think that ICS is more particular about the cables that are connected to it, whereas GB didn't care.
    I don't see how - or for what purpose - this would be the case. Another thing to consider here is faulty USB port on your phone.

BTW, I've had no such problems with the different chargers/cords used on my Nexus.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, but like I said, I've seen where my phone will stop charging altogether, and then a power down/up will cause it to start recharging, even without me touching the cable.

I have the same issue before I'd use rumor touch charger but it doesn't work at all anymore on it

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Same issue here. Can't use my wall charger anymore. I'm using my DirecTV receiver with a nice USB cable & it works fine.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ok, woke up just 10 minutes ago, and saw that my phone was on battery for 2 hours, even though nobody touched it 2 hours ago.. Since I went to bed at midnight and I woke up at 6am,something happened less than 4 hours into the charging process that halted the charging. not even sure that while it was charging it was getting a full powered charger because right now the phone is only at 38%.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Through all this I think the problem lies in my phone's hardware.. Gonna get it checked out.

Keep us updated on your findings please. This is strange.