Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pistos
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Default Having both Wifi and 3G turned on

Hi guys,

How are you doing? I am new to Android having ditched my old BB 9700 yesterday and have a couple of questions.

When I have both Wifi and 3G turned on at home or school, does my Nexus S (4.04) consume my somehow limited data plan though? I couldn't find "wifi preferred" in connection preference in the settings.

By the way, is there a starter's guide to ICS though?

Thank you in advance,
    Jason
    Retired Ambassador

Wifi is free. You only get charged for 3g if you are actively downloading data. So if you are syncing email, contacts and calenders, that would be considered data just like web browsing. Many schools now have wifi for students. If yours does then you shouldn't be charged for data while there. But if you are concerned just turn off your 3g when you have an active wifi connection. But you really shouldn't have to. My 3g icon disappears when I have a wifi connection so it means it's not in use.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

Default Re: Having both Wifi and 3G turned on

Open up settings>system settings> then open wifi (next to the wifi toggle just tap wifi). Hit settings>advanced and check that "Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to always. That way if you have an active wifi connection you will not use any cellphone data. The only things that I know must be downloaded via your phones data connection would be like PRL and profile updates.

Just be aware you are going to want to turn off your wifi when not around it or you will have major battery drain.
    Thanked by:
    CNHabs 

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Default Re: Having both Wifi and 3G turned on

Quote Originally Posted by hlxanthus View Post
    Just be aware you are going to want to turn off your wifi when not around it or you will have major battery drain.
    I have not found this to be the case in my experience.

To prevent wifi from continually "hunting" for available wifi connections, and potentially draining your battery needlessly, go into your Wifi settings, press menu, then select Advanced, and uncheck Network notification.

To original post: Wifi uses less power than 3G/4G, and your phone automatically "prefers" a wifi connection. This is not something you have to choose in settings.
    Thanked by:
    CNHabs 
    CNHabs likes this.

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Just use data

Go Bucs!