Rebooting into Recovery

avalpert

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
My phone (Nexus S 4G on ICS) has suddenly developed stability issues and I am trying to diagnose it. One odd symptom is that some time when it forces a reboot it is rebooting itself into recovery - is that something that is tied to a specific cause?

The other consistent symptom is force closing of gapps. I have cleared all the caches of google apps but it didn't help.

My last resort is to do a complete wipe - but i would rather not so any thoughts are welcome.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I see. Maybe you could try a different rom.. with the gapps. Try another gapps as well. My nexus did that. And I got the updated gapps and it stopped.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have heard of this before on different devices not just the NS4G.. Although all the ROMs I've ran over the last two years I never had it boot into recovery, that is odd.

avalpert

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I've wiped and reverted to a clean stock install. It still had crashes. I'm going to try once more, this time without rooting after the clean install but I'm leaning towards a hardware problem.

Anyone know if a bad battery could be the cause - it is the easiest and cheapest hardware problem to fix I think.

VeritasPDX

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I had a very similar issue happening with my phone. It kept rebooting, freezing, and sometimes rebooting into recovery on it's own, which seemed very strange. I did a factory reset, flashed back to previous versions of Android, different builds of ICS, etc. so I thought that I had ruled out a software issue. I finally gave up and took it into Sprint to have one of their technicians look at it. The problem? The processor is crapping out. I've had the phone for about 13 months which is just out of the 12 month warranty but apparently the processor is covered by the manufacturer so I paid Spring $35 and they're going to mail me a new Nexus (I don't have an insurance plan for the phone either). Not sure if it's the same situation for you but it may be worth a look?