Force closing and freezing

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus for about a year now, still stock and unrooted. Just recently, like past 2 weeks, started to have issues with apps and services force closing (most notably google Voice which is my main text app)...and not just the kind where you close it and immediately can open it back up...but repeated error messages until I did a restart.

Now every so often I'll find the phone with the screen off, but the bottom row of "buttons" (home, search, etc) illuminated and the phone is totally frozen requiring a battery pull.

I'm all for trying new apps, betas, launchers and widgets so I thought maybe it was something I had installed that had a virus or was just buggy...so finally last night I just wiped it with a factory reset, nbd.

But sure enough I woke up this morning and it had frozen again. Then a little later restarted itself, and then I even got the "red triangle/laying-down android" screen requiring a reboot.

Any clues as to what could be causing this, why a reset might not have fixed it (or possibly made it worse), or steps I can take to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you need to do a factory reset,which would wipe all your data out and start over.Sometimes just to much junk gets built up and the only way to clear it out is to wipe everything and start over. i would try that and see if it helps any.

Reactions: cpaight

siczek.p

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine just started doing the same. Factory wipe does nothing. Still have the problem. Sprint told me to go into a corporate store to "reload" my software. Sounds like they are just going to do the same thing. Not optimistic. If that fails I'll be talking to "account services". The phone was just peachy with GB, then warranty expires, get ICS and bam, dead. My phone has become completely unreliable.

Reactions: cpaight

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine just started doing the same. Factory wipe does nothing. Still have the problem. Sprint told me to go into a corporate store to "reload" my software. Sounds like they are just going to do the same thing. Not optimistic. If that fails I'll be talking to "account services". The phone was just peachy with GB, then warranty expires, get ICS and bam, dead. My phone has become completely unreliable.

Did the factory wipe and worked ok for about a day...then the very next night, froze up, went to restart and now won't even boot past the Google logo. Just freezes right there.

Took it to Sprint and same thing..."Sorry we can't fix it, you can buy a new phone or we'll order you a re-furb." Warranty expired in May!

Kinda convenient since the Nexus phones will be supported by Google longer than standard phones and as long as you take care of your hardware the software should be sound and you wouldn't need to change phones as often.

roysha

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you end up getting this issue resolved? I'm having very similar, if not the same, issues with my phone recently. I posted it on this thread, but that's probably not the best place for it.

Anyway, I'm really suspecting an app to be the problem due to this issue suddenly cropping up within the past couple weeks and continuing to do so even after a full wipe. I could be totally off here, but if anyone has suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Having my phone crash (Android robot lying down with red triangle) and reboot multiple times a day is extremely frustrating.

siczek.p

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I took my phone to the sprint store, they wiped me back to GB. Things were fine until I OTA'd to ICS. Same thing all over again.Sprint offered to give me a new one for $35 but I have opted for the Photon at this point (same deal, $35 for a new one). Better hardware should lead to longer life when rooted. This also doesnt affect my upgrade so I figure i'll take a Motorola for a spin for a while.

suntzu24

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Starting on July 3rd my Nexus started doing the same things you've described. I would pick it up to find the device completely shut off. Sometimes with the not so cute when it happens to you dead android animation on the screen. Sometimes just the three lights lit up but nothing else. I've had to do dozens of battery pulls in the last 6 days. Going to take it to the Sprint store today but from reading the posts on here it doesn't sound like they are going to do much for me. Spent months hoping to get updated to ICS only to have it eventually brick my phone is kind of a downer. Only one year and now my phone is a complete piece of junk.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Never got the issue resolved....paid Sprint the $35 for a new (refurb) one. I've had the ICS update since it rolled out in April and everything had been working fine...weird that it would start happening to multiple people all around the same time, yet a couple months removed from when the update came out.

Oh well...if this one can last as long as the first one it'll get me to the end of my contract and likely to another carrier (hopefully just about the time the next latest and greatest phone is coming out!).

roysha

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck with this issue yet? I've been "living with it" the past few weeks, and I finally have some time tonight so I'm going to go the factory reset route and see if it helps. I'm going to try to keep from installing a ton of apps for a few days to see if the issue persists or not & then slowly add apps back to see if I can pinpoint it as an app problem.

One strange thing to add though... In trying to troubleshoot, I tried an app called "aLogrec", which basically just copies logs to a file you can access later. I only was able to catch the logs from 1 crash, but there wasn't much useful in them. The odd thing is that when I'm running the aLogrec logger, I get NO crashes. As soon as I turn off the logging, I get a crash within a few minutes (almost every time). It seems quite odd that aLogrec "prevents" my phone from crashing and as soon as I close it, I do get a crash.

Any thoughts? Or should I just give up on this one?... :(

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
How did you guys get a refurbed for 35 dollars? I always thought it was 100...

Not sure of the specifics...just went to the store and thats what it was. Didn't have insurance or anything...although they did make me get insurance in order to do that deal

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
wife has a nxus s 4g and never worked with the official ics update or any new rom of ics, not even with jelly bean. then i remember that i used a couple of roms before ics was official for the nexus s 4g and those never gave any problem at all. one of them is dooderbutt aosp v7 i got it right here from androidcentral, it has worked fine so far no problem at all, it is not the fastest but is working fine. here is the link http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...oms-hacks/142072-ics-dooderbutt-4-0-3-v1.html

anthonyhkim

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus for about a year now, still stock and unrooted. Just recently, like past 2 weeks, started to have issues with apps and services force closing (most notably google Voice which is my main text app)...and not just the kind where you close it and immediately can open it back up...but repeated error messages until I did a restart.

Now every so often I'll find the phone with the screen off, but the bottom row of "buttons" (home, search, etc) illuminated and the phone is totally frozen requiring a battery pull.

I'm all for trying new apps, betas, launchers and widgets so I thought maybe it was something I had installed that had a virus or was just buggy...so finally last night I just wiped it with a factory reset, nbd.

But sure enough I woke up this morning and it had frozen again. Then a little later restarted itself, and then I even got the "red triangle/laying-down android" screen requiring a reboot.

Any clues as to what could be causing this, why a reset might not have fixed it (or possibly made it worse), or steps I can take to resolve the issue?

Thanks!

My phone is doing the exact same thing right now. Just started a few days ago. Is there a fix to this issue? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith