Jelly bean update

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Duh, totally missed that, thanks! Now, another question...how about the notification screen? The appearance is different, but no new actions available, such as expanding messages. I am using GoSms, but when I tap on the notification on the pull down screen, it does not expand, it just takes me to the GoSms app. Is this what it's supposed to do?

I thought they expanded using the "pinch to zoom" function. Again...I don't have it yet, but I recall the video demos of JB showing that...

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I thought they expanded using the "pinch to zoom" function. Again...I don't have it yet, but I recall the video demos of JB showing that...

I thought so too, not working g for me. When you get it can you post if it works for you? The look has changed. Actions still the same.

uploadfromtaptalk1347394523468.jpg

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yay! Just did the framework trick and it's downloading now!

- - - Updated - - -

I thought so too, not working g for me. When you get it can you post if it works for you? The look has changed. Actions still the same.

View attachment 37152

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

It actually says it in the description during the download: "Expand notifications with a pinch to get more info and take action."

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the file put it on my SD unzipped the files and tried to flash using cwm but it kept aborting on me too

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
If your running CWM then your bootloader isn't locked I assume...

Use the Fastboot method to update to JB.. It won't wipe you device (your sdcard contents will remain fine), it will just overwrite your OS so at worse you have to redownload some apps and redo some settings...

But if you have your Backup & Reset options under settings checked to Sync/Backup to Google then that will cover downloaded free apps and your basic settings when you reboot into Jelly Bean
wink.png

Follow my instructions in the following thread.. Its not hard, not bragging here but I can do it start to finish in under 10 minutes flashing the image files to get JB.

See this thread, files are in OP and my instructions are in Post #2 with full details...

Ns4g jelly bean files "get it get it get it"

Note: If you skip flashing the "recovery.img" that will leave your CWM recovery in place.. Then all you have to do is reapply Superuser and your good to go again.

Also I'm putting together a complete stock AOSP build of JellyBean with root & Superuser built in for flashing in CWM/TWRP recovery for rooted users... I'm gonna try and have it up in a little while after dinner...

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It actually says it in the description during the download: "Expand notifications with a pinch to get more info and take action."

I think it depends on what app the notification is from...I was able to use the pinch-to-expand on a gmail messge but not on a text thru GVoice.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If your running CWM then your bootloader isn't locked I assume...

Use the Fastboot method to update to JB.. It won't wipe you device (your sdcard contents will remain fine), it will just overwrite your OS so at worse you have to redownload some apps and redo some settings...

But if you have your Backup & Reset options under settings checked to Sync/Backup to Google then that will cover downloaded free apps and your basic settings when you reboot into Jelly Bean http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Follow my instructions in the following thread.. Its not hard, not bragging here but I can do it start to finish in under 10 minutes flashing the image files to get JB.

See this thread, files are in OP and my instructions are in Post #2 with full details...

Ns4g jelly bean files "get it get it get it"

Note: If you skip flashing the "recovery.img" that will leave your CWM recovery in place.. Then all you have to do is reapply Superuser and your good to go again.

Also I'm putting together a complete stock AOSP build of JellyBean with root & Superuser built in for flashing in CWM/TWRP recovery for rooted users... I'm gonna try and have it up in a little while after dinner...

Is u gonna put the files on here or on the other thread and thanks a bunch for all the work

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Duh, totally missed that, thanks! Now, another question...how about the notification screen? The appearance is different, but no new actions available, such as expanding messages. I am using GoSms, but when I tap on the notification on the pull down screen, it does not expand, it just takes me to the GoSms app. Is this what it's supposed to do?

You guys are spoiling me, I usually find out this stuff by hours of fiddling around with things. Trial and error school, lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Try taking 2 fingers to pinch or spread a notification.

ForTheGlory

May 19, 2010
Visit site

You guys are spoiling me, I usually find out this stuff by hours of fiddling around with things. Trial and error school, lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Got JB on my Asus Transformer tf300 tablet about a month ago so I've been using this a while. Easiest way to make this work is to put 2 fingers side by side (spaced slightly apart) on the notification, and slide it up/down to reveal the expanded notification. HOWEVER, it only works on apps that support it (ie: Gmail, Evernote Google+, Gallery, etc). Not all apps using the expanded notif's yet.

nac622

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to post what I did in case it will help others...my update is downloading right now.

I was trying the "clear Android framework" trick (Settings --> Apps --> ....scroll the header to the right of "Running" so "All" shows & select "All" --> Google Services Framework --> Clear Data) over & over and it wasn't working. I tried clearing that & going right to check the update, tried clearing it and rebooting my phone, but no luck. Then I turned off Wi-Fi. I really didn't think that would work and it may just be a coincidence, but as soon as I turned off Wi-Fi, cleared the framework, and checked for the update, it started downloading and I turned on Wi-Fi again to make the download quicker.

Could just be a coincidence but I wanted to share in case it helped other impatient folks like myself. :)

Edit: I also plugged my phone in (being at 40% or so) after a few failed attempts, so it was plugged in on my successful try, as well. No idea if that's a factor, but wanted to note it!

This worked for me! It took about 5-6 times doing it but then there it was!! Downloading now, thank you!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Try taking 2 fingers to pinch or spread a notification.

Well, that's a bummer. Does it work with the stock messaging app? I use GoSms, I have Gmail notifications turned off, deleted Facebook app after the last disastrous update, I use a bookmark instead. So I guess, Gmail is the only app I have that might work. I was really looking forward to that little ditty.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
It does work with stock mms app, also screenshot function, google+ .

If you want to try it more, you can have gosms route you texts thru the stock app instead. I use gVoice and stock for my texts.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It does work with stock mms app, also screenshot function, google+ .

If you want to try it more, you can have gosms route you texts thru the stock app instead. I use gVoice and stock for my texts.

I will try the stock SMS app again. I gave up on it a long time ago because every other text would error with the red triangle and 'message not sent'. I never knew if it went through or not. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't, so I gave up.

GoSms sends a 'message sent' confirmation to notification tray. And it automatically breaks up long texts. It also has animations while sending, which helps me know its doing its thing. If the stock app would do these things, that would make JB a big plus for me, because I like the idea of a more detailed text summary in the notification tray.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Probably not, when you flashed the new radio you changed vital system files which will probably kill the OTA update. You may still receive the OTA notification but its a good possibility it will fail on install.

I would second that. I am rooted and flashed the new radio. When I went back to my saved stock and launched the OTA, the download completed, but would not install.

mmaldin

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me! It took about 5-6 times doing it but then there it was!! Downloading now, thank you!

this worked for me too after a reboot.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be running out of RAM much quicker than ICS. Loading up The Verge app then the website I left on the browser has to load up all over again which only happened when I had more things open. This is with an update from ICS. I'm going to do a factory reset to try and start out fresh.