Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Significant decrease in battery life with JB

It is media storage. I jus tried it this morning so I will let you know in the morning if it helped.
    Palm Pre to Nexus S 4G to HTC EVO 4G LTE to Moto-X

The Media Storage clearing did not help at all. I read abotu this in another forum. I just tried this:
    the steps I took to restore my battery life were:
    1. disable google now

2. in system settings->location services, disable and then re-enable "google's location service" and "location and google search"

3. in google maps->settings->location settings, disable all location reporting and disable location history. (google now seems to enable these and leave it set)

worked for me, hope it helps someone else (Nexus S)
    Thanked by 3:

Update.:
    Called sprint they said to take it to the sprint repair center. So I made an appointment with the near by sprint store. Walked in and the most attractive woman, greeted and helped me. She explained to me jelly bean update is causing nothing but issues for them. Anyway she took the Nexus and said they will have to do a full diagnostic. They called me 3 hours later saying my phone couldn't be complete the tests and they will be replacing my Nexus. Paid them the 35 dollars and they gave me a new Nexus s..... Waiting till tomorrow to see if the battery life is better with this Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by opteron7 View Post
    Update.:
    Called sprint they said to take it to the sprint repair center. So I made an appointment with the near by sprint store. Walked in and the most attractive woman, greeted and helped me. She explained to me jelly bean update is causing nothing but issues for them. Anyway she took the Nexus and said they will have to do a full diagnostic. They called me 3 hours later saying my phone couldn't be complete the tests and they will be replacing my Nexus. Paid them the 35 dollars and they gave me a new Nexus s..... Waiting till tomorrow to see if the battery life is better with this Nexus.

Interesting...

Surprised you even got a replacement considering I've heard from a few people that stock on refurbs of the NS4G is very low.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peter's Bugless Beast ICS

If you don't use google now just follow the steps above. Helped me a ton. I really had no need for google now.I love the idea but with the smaller battery it's just to much of a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Interesting...

Surprised you even got a replacement considering I've heard from a few people that stock on refurbs of the NS4G is very low.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Yeah the tech said they try keeping one phone of each stocked. They tried putting me on the protection plan, but I passed on it. Might get it after the warranty is over I don't really think the Nexus s will make it another year.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

FWIW, I did a full wipe of my phone (took the opportunity to root it) and flashed back to the factory image. Lost *some* data - stuff I didn't know wasn't on my "sd card", so it's my own fault - but nothing vital.

Things seem to be better for me now - battery life seems to be improved. If nothing else, my wifi will correctly shut off when the phone's asleep now.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

Boy oh boy did this thread take off!

An update on my battery life: I followed as many of the tips and suggestions posted here as possible sadly to no avail. We have 2 other NS4G devices in the family and battery life is sucking on all of them. I rely heavily on my phone for work and need a reliable phone to last me through the day. Things got so bad with JB that I actually am now using my 3 year old Blackberry in lieu of the NS4G. Even after being off for nearly 1.5 years, the Blackberry's battery life is rock solid and I can easily use it heavily for 2 days without charging it. The 3 year old BB's radio also beats the NS4G's, which we all know is crap. I hope there is an update in the horizon to fix JB's battery glitches, or I may have to seriously consider a new device.
    Thanked by:
    opteron7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
    Boy oh boy did this thread take off!

An update on my battery life: I followed as many of the tips and suggestions posted here as possible sadly to no avail. We have 2 other NS4G devices in the family and battery life is sucking on all of them. I rely heavily on my phone for work and need a reliable phone to last me through the day. Things got so bad with JB that I actually am now using my 3 year old Blackberry in lieu of the NS4G. Even after being off for nearly 1.5 years, the Blackberry's battery life is rock solid and I can easily use it heavily for 2 days without charging it. The 3 year old BB's radio also beats the NS4G's, which we all know is crap. I hope there is an update in the horizon to fix JB's battery glitches, or I may have to seriously consider a new device.
    I was thinking of adding a seido battery pack or the power skin. I have another year on my contract so I'm not getting a new phone anytime soon.

I called Sprint and they wanted me to do a wipe of the phone so before I tried that I turned off Google Now and it was back to normal. Has anyone done a wipe of the pohone to see if that helped with google now turned on?

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

Hi everyone - I'm also having pretty poor battery life with JB, and I was wondering if someone could help me improve it by narrowing down the culprits. I'm currently getting about 8 hours of usage per charge, which is much better than my old Samsung Replenish (6 hours or less), but still no where near where I would like to be.

My issue is that "Android OS" and Maps combine for about 45% of my battery usage over that 8 hours, and I think that's a little much. Screen accounts for around 25%, but I use the phone a lot, so that can't be helped.

My ROM is Codename Android 3.6.5, and my kernel is Air Kernel release #224. My CPU/Governor settings are in the screen shots below, as well as a typical battery usage chart. The performance I'm getting from the phone is great, so I'd really like to keep it about the same, but I'm willing to sacrifice if it results in major improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Significant decrease in battery life with JB-screenshot_2012-10-02-17-07-49.png   Significant decrease in battery life with JB-screenshot_2012-10-06-19-08-10.png   Significant decrease in battery life with JB-screenshot_2012-10-06-19-08-16.png  

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

I freeze maps with titanium backup when not in use. Also the os usage might be solve by a clean install. I have never noticed that high of usage with it

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peter's Bugless Beast ICS

I would do a clean install also. This always helps me when I see a high OS drain.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

I seem to have gotten much better battery life after a wipe and reinstall. I think also turning off Battery Monitor (put an icon in the top bar to help me keep an easier eye on the battery - color and number) after installing a mod (I'm also rooted now, though still otherwise stock, so I don't think that's made any difference) hixanthus provided helped even more for me.

ROM
    Rasbeanjelly/Trinity

I did a clean wipe and reinstall (updated to CNA 3.6.6), but Android OS is still using 22% of my battery after 8 hours and 40 minutes on battery. I really hope that the additional OS drain isn't caused by CNA.

I just took my phone off the charger (overnight) and it went from 95% to 87% in one hour of standby. i checked battery stats and it had mediaserver at 75% usage. Does anyone know how to kill the mediaserver or anything I can do to prevent it from eating that much battery?

Well, i finally got sick of the issues with my battery draining so fast and I did the wipe. The first day I never started Google Now and my battery life was fine like it was before so I turned Google Now on and I am back to having the Battery Draining issues again, so this does not solve the problem.

ROM
    RasbeanJelly/DanteRom v4

The 2 issues with battery life is gNow and maps. I don't use gNow and freeze maps when not in use and my battery life is like ICS.

I got my OS reinstalled by Sprint when my Nexus 4S got stuck in boot mode. When I got it back (with JB installed), the battery lasted about only a few hours. But I was able to make some changes that totally fixed the problem. It has now been 9 hours since I took it off the charger and the battery is at 84% - an incredible improvement.

Here was what I did to fix the problem:

Went to Settings>More...>NFC and turned it off
    Went to Settings>More...4G settings and turned it off.
    Opened Google and went to Settings>Google Now and turned it off
    Went to Maps >Settings>Location settings and turned off everything
    Went to Settings>Location services and disabled Google location services
    I left Synchronize on but turned on WiFi so that synchronization would not use 3G

I can't say for sure which actions had how much effect but if you do all of these things you will have excellent battery life and can then experiment. Almost certainly you do not need NFC except on the rare occasion when you do. And you don't need 4G all the time, so turn it off until you do and then remember to turn it off again. Same thing is true of Maps.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123