Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Significant decrease in battery life with JB

Is anyone else experiencing this? I never had this issue with ICS; it started right after installing JB. I have all location services, GPS, and Google Now turned off. Besides Gmail, I don't have any other synced services.
    Significant decrease in battery life with JB-uploadfromtaptalk1347597465950.jpg

The above is strictly with the phone in standby and without any use. Why would Android OS be consuming so much memory? On ICS the biggest consumption was the screen for me.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1

Default Re: Significant decrease in battery life with JB

You are getting better battery life than me right now. Within 2 hours I have 67% and thats when I am barely using the phone. Idk what the issue is with JB but it is killing my batter

I don't know of you guys are syncing exchange based email, but my Nexus S 4G has had a huge battery draining bug related to the built-in email apps exchange services. My Android OS was wicked high and exchange was also very high on usage. I disabled the built-in email app and have been using Enhanced Email for my exchange syncing and now my battery life is back to GB levels.

Not sure if this applies to either of your situations, but I figured that I would pass it along.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

This is my battery life

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    This is my battery lifehttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/16/uzuda8yj.jpg

Your battery life is modded with a "battery saver" app. Not to mention you were using a custom ROM (I don't know if you're on the stock ROM now).

Thus your findings aren't sufficient as they don't show the true battery life on a 100% stock ROM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Im stock now but before the app I used to get about 10h screen time

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peter's Bugless Beast ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Im stock now but before the app I used to get about 10h screen time

10 hours of screen time on a single charge? That can't be right. Do you have the stock battery? If so I want to know what setting your running. My best on ICS was 3 and half hours.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Since I've had all of today free, I've been running a logcat while my ns is "idle" and have noticed several google systems (launcher, vending, calendar, music, maps, even NFC which is turned off) constantly refreshing every three to five minutes or so, that I was not used to seeing with ICS on top of my usual background apps
    Also noticed Swype keyboard and Beautiful Widgets (set to refresh on screen wake) running constantly which they did not do in ICS to my knowledge
    I dont know if that helps anyone out, but I'm going to try a day with no google syncing on and see how that does for my battery issue

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

This could be the cause of my horrible battery life. When I go to sleep I see that my phone is woken up while the screen never turned on. What's the point of an android phone if I can't leave Google sync on. My working theory is that it's Google now causing a problem. Going to turn off Google now before bed to see if I still get wake locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zstephen View Post
    Since I've had all of today free, I've been running a logcat while my ns is "idle" and have noticed several google systems (launcher, vending, calendar, music, maps, even NFC which is turned off) constantly refreshing every three to five minutes or so, that I was not used to seeing with ICS on top of my usual background apps
    Also noticed Swype keyboard and Beautiful Widgets (set to refresh on screen wake) running constantly which they did not do in ICS to my knowledge
    I dont know if that helps anyone out, but I'm going to try a day with no google syncing on and see how that does for my battery issue

I tried leaving Google Now off for about a day, the change in battery drain seemed negligible

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

[B]I've never liked carrying a charger with me nor have I purchased a 2nd battery as back up, but with JB I have to now carry charger with me if I plan to be out most of the day. I'm thinking one of the culprits is Sprint's weak signal, which causes battery to really have to work.Think about it if you have a Nexus 7, no phone data, excellent battery life. Might just be my weird thinking.
    Sprint Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch, Acer C7 Chromebook, Galaxy Exhibit II 4G

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Exchange services is killing my battery life. It was always a major player but my battery life has gone from 8-10 hours to 4. I am going to disable exchange services tomorrow and see if things improve.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Exchange services killed my battery life. Went from 8 hours or so, to about 3. Stopped exchange, and battery life is back to where it was before.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

My bad not 10h screen time but 10h on battery I had 4h screen time

Everything with the JB updated runs smoothly and is much more polished. However I am noticing significant battery drain coming from Google wallet. Each day I have to force stop wallet upon turning the device on to keep Google wallet from using over 40% of battery. I do not use wallet and have NFC turned off so this is annoying step to conserve battery.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

Make sure you are only syncing things you need under your google account. Also if you are rooted you can always disable google wallet.
    Try opening up the app to make sure its not stuck signing in. If you are signed in sign out of the app.
    I had this happen before.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

It's Google Now. Tradeoffs exist, unfortunately

Sent with Oliver's Dying Breath

Not noticing anything different on mine..

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Disabling exchange services drastically improved my battery life. Now I just need something to handle my email. Maps may be the next thing I look in to.

Grey_girl likes this.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I have to second this. I received the OTA this morning, and this happened to me this afternoon. Removed the phone from the charger, went to a long meeting. 2.5 hours later, the previously full battery was down to 14% remaining and dropping fast. I checked the usage, and it's mostly all Exchange Services, followed by Screen and then Maps.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Wow. Day 2 of disabled Exchange Services and my battery life was better than ever (13 hours before the Google sign-in error began popping up). Strange thing is that Android OS dropped way down in battery usage from yesterday when it was almost 60% of usage. Maps is the biggest drain now but I noticed there is an update in the Play Store so maybe this will improve.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

I'm hoping the maps update fixed the unusual high wakelocks it was producing. I'll be checking that today. Fingers crossed. Also maybe the Google server error had something to do with Android checking in so many times.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    ROM

Still horrible. Does anyone have this many kept awake like I do?

When I wake up in the morning and check my phone maps is using the vast majority of my batter in the 30-40% range. I have to force stop it, and I report it to google.

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

I'm getting killed by Mediaserver (28% in this instance) and Android OS (30%). Maps is up there, but not horrible - 10%.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast