NS4G: The Retirement Years

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Well...I moved on from the NS4G to the Galaxy S3 via Radio Shack's deal with the Google Play store credit. I really liked that phone, but in the end it just didn't work how I needed it to. The battery life was a complete joke and I'm pretty sure the Jelly Bean update, while nice, is what ultimately did it in. It just got too bogged down...very laggy and messy. It's sitting in its dock on my nightstand right now. I'm thinking I can still use it for things like streaming stuff at home over wifi.

I guess I'm wondering now...is it worth looking at rooting it and going to town on it? I'm assuming I can still do all that now that its no longer hooked into Sprint...

I suppose my question is, what would YOU do with yours if it was no longer your primary phone?

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Well...I moved on from the NS4G to the Galaxy S3 via Radio Shack's deal with the Google Play store credit. I really liked that phone, but in the end it just didn't work how I needed it to. The battery life was a complete joke and I'm pretty sure the Jelly Bean update, while nice, is what ultimately did it in. It just got too bogged down...very laggy and messy. It's sitting in its dock on my nightstand right now. I'm thinking I can still use it for things like streaming stuff at home over wifi.

I guess I'm wondering now...is it worth looking at rooting it and going to town on it? I'm assuming I can still do all that now that its no longer hooked into Sprint...

I suppose my question is, what would YOU do with yours if it was no longer your primary phone?

It currently IS my primary phone, and it's rooted, rommed, and I'm working on the battery issues. Getting some good results now that I've let the rom and kernel settle. 4.1.2 with Airkernel 72% after 7 hrs.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

My older Nexus becomes a PMP in the house when it's replaced by my new Nexus.

With Google play and wifi, I hook it up to a stereo (or in it's current location, an external speaker in the bathroom) and use it primarily for music. On some occasions, I will use it on wifi with Vulkano to watch a match or something, but the tablet has become the main driver for that these days.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I may have to hook it into my house stereo...would get more use there, I think. I was thinking strictly in mobile terms...but our stereo doesn't have a receiver, so TuneIn will fill that gap nicely.

mr_fro2000

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Im still using it as a daily driver and I think its great. But if I were you, I'd root it put voodoo sound on it and use it as a PMP. That wolfson DAC is amazing and truly makes the phone an audophile quality media player.

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well...I moved on from the NS4G to the Galaxy S3 via Radio SHacks deal with the Google Play store credit. I really liked that phone, but in the end it just didn't work how I needed it to. The battery life was a complete joke and I'm pretty sure the Jelly Bean update, while nice, is what ultimately did it in. It just got too bogged down...very laggy and messy. It's sitting in its dock on my nightstand right now. I'm thinking I can still use it for things like streaming stuff at home over wifi.

I've had my NS4G for about a year-and-a-half now, and the JB update is prompting me to seriously consider a new phone. The update did more bad than good, reducing the battery life and overall smoothness of the phone. I don't understand why Google even released JB; besides Google Now (which I consider useless and a battery hog), JB is pointless and not much different than ICS.

Other than the OS, I am mainly just tired of the NS4G's weak radios. The wifi radio is especially pathetic. Sorry for the rant, but I'll probably use the device as an MP3 player when I switch over to a different phone.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Google even released JB; besides Google Now (which I consider useless and a battery hog), JB is pointless and not much different than ICS.

My favorite feature of the update was the expandable notifications. Google Now is not a 'feature' to me...not even on my new Galaxy S3. I keep it off. My JB update did really help me decide to upgrade before the new year, though. My phone became almost unusable for anything...even as a PHONE! Any time I wanted to do something, I would have to wait for something to load..or wait for my data signal to come back (it kept dropping). People with their iPhones would all mockingly ask me "how you like that droid?" when I would be stuck waiting for the stupid browser to load the Google homepage or some trivial thing that should only take a second or two...and I couldn't really defend it (except to correct them for calling it a 'droid').

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
My favorite feature of the update was the expandable notifications. Google Now is not a 'feature' to me...not even on my new Galaxy S3. I keep it off. My JB update did really help me decide to upgrade before the new year, though. My phone became almost unusable for anything...even as a PHONE! Any time I wanted to do something, I would have to wait for something to load..or wait for my data signal to come back (it kept dropping). People with their iPhones would all mockingly ask me "how you like that droid?" when I would be stuck waiting for the stupid browser to load the Google homepage or some trivial thing that should only take a second or two...and I couldn't really defend it (except to correct them for calling it a 'droid').
Thats a shame. I guess as time goes by its proving more that JB was really intended to run on dual core + devices. Sprint/Nexus and other older single core devices were just lucky enough to be officially upgraded to JB but its becoming more obvious it should of remained on ICS (4.0.x) where things just operated better.

I still say after running dozens and dozens of custom ROMs and stock on my NS4G from Gingerbread to ICS and JB, I truly believe the Nexus S/NS4G ran best on Gingerbread OS.

Hey regardless folks it was a darn good run we all had with our Nexus S 4G's. ;)

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thats a shame. I guess as time goes by its proving more that JB was really intended to run on dual core + devices. Sprint/Nexus and other older single core devices were just lucky enough to be officially upgraded to JB but its becoming more obvious it should of remained on ICS (4.0.x) where things just operated better.

I still say after running dozens and dozens of custom ROMs and stock on my NS4G from Gingerbread to ICS and JB, I truly believe the Nexus S/NS4G ran best on Gingerbread OS.

Hey regardless folks it was a darn good run we all had with our Nexus S 4G's. ;)

Yeah...when I first got it I was impressed - far more than I thought I would be coming from a webOS device. I think the slowdown was gradual - enough so that I didn't really assume it was any particular update. It's when Jelly Bean came out and Google Now sucked my battery dry within two hours that I knew it just wasn't right. Then I noticed the Google Search, NFC and Bluetooth bugs and the other issues I'd already had just got magnified (slowdowns, lagginess, freeze-ups, etc.).

I'm glad I had it and really enjoyed it most of the time. It's a slick device and always looked great to me.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I still like the ns4g but it and my s2 is getting traded in for a Galaxy Nexus especially since lte is in full effect in Chicago

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool